Uber loses licence to operate in London Watch

Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Transport for London has announced their decision to not renew Uber's operating licence today after allowing them to operate on a probationary basis since September.

TfL says that although Uber has addressed some of their concerns, a number of issues are still ongoing, such as a driver different to the one shown in the app turning up to a pickup point.

Uber is expected to appeal the decision, which will allow them to continue to operate in the meantime.

What do you think? Personally, Uber is my go-to app for ride-hailing, unless I really need a ride now, urgently, and there's a black cab nearby. The only issue I've had so far is a driver cancelling on me when I was literally 10 yards away from the car, but I got my money back instantly. I think Uber has done some good - it has encouraged black cab drivers to use app-based hailing solutions like Gett, and also created new competition in the form of other ride-sharing apps.

Sources:
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nce-london-tfl
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a9216546.html
https://news.sky.com/story/uber-stri...ondon-11869888
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 2 weeks ago
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Transport for London has announced their decision to not renew Uber's operating licence today after allowing them to operate on a probationary basis since September.

TfL says that although Uber has addressed some of their concerns, a number of issues are still ongoing, such as a driver different to the one shown in the app turning up to a pickup point.

Uber is expected to appeal the decision, which will allow them to continue to operate in the meantime.

What do you think? Personally, Uber is my go-to app for ride-hailing, unless I really need a ride now, urgently, and there's a black cab nearby. The only issue I've had so far is a driver cancelling on me when I was literally 10 yards away from the car, but I got my money back instantly. I think Uber has done some good - it has encouraged black cab drivers to use app-based hailing solutions like Gett, and also created new competition in the form of other ride-sharing apps.

Sources:
I just think this is turning into a silly and pointless tussle between TfL and Uber. They're bound to win their appeal, so I don't see what is to be gained from this. At some point, cabbies have got to accept that the world has changed and they can't be insulated from it. Uber gives them something to ***** on about, but most of us Londoners make good use of Uber and I"d probably miss it now.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I just think this is turning into a silly and pointless tussle between TfL and Uber. They're bound to win their appeal, so I don't see what is to be gained from this. At some point, cabbies have got to accept that the world has changed and they can't be insulated from it. Uber gives them something to ***** on about, but most of us Londoners make good use of Uber and I"d probably miss it now.
Yup.

I'm not sure how much of an influence (if any) Sadiq Khan has this decision, but I suppose it helps to keep the unions on side (to an extent...)
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yup.

I'm not sure how much of an influence (if any) Sadiq Khan has this decision, but I suppose it helps to keep the unions on side (to an extent...)
Exactly!
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People will just use one of the other ride hailing apps like Lyft.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Sources:
I also love the way you've both listed your sources and made sure they're reliable. If only everyone could be so thorough and have such high standards with their posting.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, time to take illegal cabs especially near this time of year. Loads of people outside tesco asking if you need a ride with all the Christmas shopping. I'm sure that'll be better.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree competition is needed, but Uber have behaved really badly in various ways. The latest thing is that they allow unlicensed (and even banned) drivers to substitute permitted drivers and upload their images to the app, creating the illusion to passengers that all is well. This is extremely dangerous to passenger safety.

Uber continue to flagrantly ignore many other customer protections, such as the need to register drivers within the area they operate and the necessary safety checks on drivers.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Lyft have often done better than Uber - they pay their drivers better and they are safer than Uber.
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
does London have lyft?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Allie4)
does London have lyft?
No but it has others.
Allie4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
No but it has others.
theres an app called Bolt, does that operate in London and is it similar to Uber??
ساره
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
theres an app called Bolt, does that operate in London and is it similar to Uber??
We have Addison Lee in London but idk about bolt
Allie4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ساره)
We have Addison Lee in London but idk about bolt
i've used addison lee a few times before. you have to book them in advance though which i don't like, i prefer uber because the cars are usually in your area. thats what i'm looking for, another app like that. its completely retarded that they are even getting rid of it in London! why is it always our city making the worst decisions?!
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Uber want to portray this as a two-way tussle between them and the black cabs; but it is a three way fight. TfL have been no friend of the cabbies down the years; trying to drag them, kicking and screaming , into the modem world.

When the cabbies lost the fight 20 years ago to keep London minicabs unlicensed and unregulated, the regulatory system was set up on the basis that the operators were on the side of the Regulator. After all, it was the minicab firms that wanted regulation.

Uber is the ultimate cowboy; chancing its arm where it can and the regulatory system isn’t geared up for that and doesn’t really have the tools to regulate cowboys. It can only drive them out of the market.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/news...ntead-of-uber/

Ola is due to launch in London in a few weeks.
Allie4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/news...ntead-of-uber/

Ola is due to launch in London in a few weeks.
lol imagine launching an app called blablacar :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wonder how much the lobbying by the taxicab industry has had an effect on their decision?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If Über has been granted a licence it should have been for a restricted smaller number of vehicles.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
I wonder how much the lobbying by the taxicab industry has had an effect on their decision?
They have a voice, but I think there are several other key drivers of this decision. One is that Uber has systematically acted to deceive the regulators, not just in London, but globally. They have a terrible record of telling porkies and behaving in an underhand way, which automatically makes them untrustworthy partners when it comes to key decisions like this. Their record in particular on passenger safety is just awful.

The other big driver in London is congestion. Uber has flooded central London with their vehicles, causing congestion to surge, which is totally against what the city needs and the whole point of the congestion charge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.33%
No I don't (153)
47.22%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.44%

Watched Threads