The Student Room Group

1hour 50 min/2hour journey to uni?

Is a 1hr45min or 2 hour journey to uni too much or is it okay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Way too much, imo.

What if the traffic's heavy? What if the train's late? (Just to cover both bases)

How often will you be doing this trip? If it's 3/4 days a week you're going to hate your life very quickly.

And there's no need for this to be anon.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Way too much, imo.

What if the traffic's heavy? What if the train's late? (Just to cover both bases)

How often will you be doing this trip? If it's 3/4 days a week you're going to hate your life very quickly.

I’m not sure, I’ve applied to a uni and can’t do accommodation but it’s the only uni for medicine that I can apply to, so I’m not sure how often I’ll have to get there but I’m assuming a lot if it’s for med. however people in my school have journeys that long to get to school and they say it’s aleigjt I just wanted to get more opinions becuase I don’t wanna wear myself out and drain myslef
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not sure, I’ve applied to a uni and can’t do accommodation but it’s the only uni for medicine that I can apply to, so I’m not sure how often I’ll have to get there but I’m assuming a lot if it’s for med. however people in my school have journeys that long to get to school and they say it’s aleigjt I just wanted to get more opinions becuase I don’t wanna wear myself out and drain myslef

Why can't you do accommodation? It'll by far be the best thing for you, not only will you be more immersed in the uni experience, but saving yourself 4+ hours a day will be invaluable when doing a subject like medicine.

Honestly, I think it's beyond insane to contemplate it. I'm 99% certain you will hate it and drop out.
I wouldn't recommend it. Going from a similar commute time to my uni being up the road has been a game changer. Waking at 5/6am to make a 9am lesson never becomes fun.

There must be other options out there, whether it be unis or accomodation. Have a dig around, call people up, best of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Why can't you do accommodation? It'll by far be the best thing for you, not only will you be more immersed in the uni experience, but saving yourself 4+ hours a day will be invaluable when doing a subject like medicine.

Honestly, I think it's beyond insane to contemplate it. I'm 99% certain you will hate it and drop out.

Due to financial reasons I cannot get accommodation.
However I plan on getting all my work done at uni then going home at the end of the day so it’s not as if I am wasting time on a journey when I could be studying in that time. It’s really common amongst people I know and in my school. I know multiple people who have a journey of 1.5/2 hours?
I am highly conflicted because if it for medicine it will be worth it imo
Reply 6
Original post by SharonJade
I wouldn't recommend it. Going from a similar commute time to my uni being up the road has been a game changer. Waking at 5/6am to make a 9am lesson never becomes fun.

There must be other options out there, whether it be unis or accomodation. Have a dig around, call people up, best of luck.

Is it not worth it even if it’s for such a competitive degree such as medicine
Reply 7
However I plan on getting all my work done at uni then going home at the end of the day so it’s not as if I am wasting time on a journey when I could be studying in that time. It’s really common amongst people I know and in my school. I know multiple people who have a journey of 1.5/2 hours?
I am highly conflicted because if it for medicine it will be worth it imo

It's precisely because it's medicine that it won't be worth it, imo. You'll have so much work to do. All the medics I knew got precious little rest as it was, squeezing 4+ hours of travelling in everyday would have ended them.

I think you're massively underestimating how tiring travelling and uni both are.
(edited 4 years ago)
My sister travels 40 minutes in a car or 2 hours on train to go to uni. It does take its toll quite quickly so i wouldnt reccomend it. I only have a 20 minute or 60 minute walk and bus journey to uni and that gets long at times, especially when buses are delayed or cancelled. Also with medicine you likely have a lot of contact hours so you will have to go in most days, its much more manageable with days off in between. I would try moving out if you can, it also helps with meeting new people and stuff!

You can't afford not to either, IMO. There's no point in setting yourself up to fail, which this would be. You need to be able to focus on your studies. Good luck.
I have a 2 hour commute to uni but I'm only in two days a week. If I had more contact hours, I'd reconsider the travelling as it really does tire you out.

This is a crazy idea - you're literally setting yourself up to fail the first year. You say you can't afford accommodation, but have you got any idea how much commuting would cost!

No-one is going to recommend this as a course of action, because it's simply not feasible. You need to be close by your campus or even better on it to succeed at such a high-pressure course as medicine.
Commuting that long every day is soul destroying and a massive waste of time.

It's not worth it for any degree. You will be putting yourself at a disadvantage and likely won't be at your best. Just having resources readily available to you is important, I can't imagine not living in my unis library lol.
Lmao don’t do it. I have a supposably 30 minute train but there’s been days where it’s taken me 2 hours coz of delays/cancellations. Save yourself the trouble 😩
20hrs a week commuting is crazy, that's nearly 1/7 of your week wasted BEFORE you take off sleeping time, you will be too exhausted for medicine (which is NOT the same as school) and have no time ever to relax and recover which is important. Plus 2 hours will regularly turn into 3 so I would guess your average week would be 30 hours commuting. If you take off sleeping 8 hours per week that could land you with 30/112 hours per week commuting, more than 1/4 of your week... If you genuinely cannot live in halls with the money you have take a gap year or two and save some.
By train if it was not five days a week perhaps, not otherwise.
I agree with everyone telling you it's not worth it
Reply 18
There was a girl once on this forum who did a 4 hour commute to uni each day. 4 hours there and 4 hours back. Her name was Salt Queen IIRC. Crazy girl imo haha

seriously though, I think anything over an hour is pushing it. Two hours definitely too much..
Is a 1hr45min or 2 hour journey to uni too much or is it okay?

I have a half hour walk to the station, followed by an hour and 5 minutes on the train then a half hour tube ride. That is 2hours and 5 minutes. Believe me it is a killer. I now rent a small room in London during the week.

If you do this every day on top of med school you will burn out faster than a firework on bonfire night. Everyone is telling you not to do it.
I am not even studying, just working full time .....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending