The Student Room Group

Accidentally scratched a car while parking and left without telling them

So I was parking in Sainsbury’s and i was trying to park in between two cars and I ended up scratching one of them. It’s a very minor scratch on the side (like 3inches long) and none of my paint transferred but I’m still panicking bc I didn’t leave my details or anything and I’m worried they’ll see it and take it further. I’m not sure if there was any cctv covering the car but I know there’s cctv in the car park. To be fair more damage was done to my car but again it was only surface damage and their car already had a few dents and scratches. Should I have left a note and also what could happen if they find out and take it further?

Scroll to see replies

as the other person says, it depends if theres CCTV. My mums car got scratched and she didnt do anything because nobody left a note. I guess its also about the type of person, some people might be persistent in getting witnesses/CCTV to catch you, some might not. You will just have to wait and see.
There was a similar thread recently. Suspicious. It’s nice that you only care about getting caught and that morality has left the building.
Reply 3
It’s a saying??? I know it’s not fair but in the moment I panicked. I’m a new driver and I made a mistake. I’d be happy to pay for it if there’s anyone who saw it or they find out it was my car that scratched theirs. Don’t cry about it I was just asking for advice
Original post by Abbbbbbbie
So I was parking in Sainsbury’s and i was trying to park in between two cars and I ended up scratching one of them. It’s a very minor scratch on the side (like 3inches long) and none of my paint transferred but I’m still panicking bc I didn’t leave my details or anything and I’m worried they’ll see it and take it further. I’m not sure if there was any cctv covering the car but I know there’s cctv in the car park. To be fair more damage was done to my car but again it was only surface damage and their car already had a few dents and scratches. Should I have left a note and also what could happen if they find out and take it further?

lol i would probably do the same
Reply 5
Original post by nintysixthousand
as the other person says, it depends if theres CCTV. My mums car got scratched and she didnt do anything because nobody left a note. I guess its also about the type of person, some people might be persistent in getting witnesses/CCTV to catch you, some might not. You will just have to wait and see.

Yeah I get that, I’m a new driver and I panicked but if they find out it was me I’d be happy to pay for a “repair”
Reply 6
Original post by sdaahakdjsahd
lol i would probably do the same

It’s not a big scratch literally 3 inches max but idk just causing me to panic now
Reply 7
It’s not a big scratch literally 3 inches max but idk just causing me to panic now

It's called a conscience. Listen to it in future.

Its probably not a big deal in terms of damage and expenses but you will obviously need to be careful the next time, just leave a note or something.
Reply 9
Original post by YaliaV
There was a similar thread recently. Suspicious. It’s nice that you only care about getting caught and that morality has left the building.

Like I’ve said I’d be happy to pay for the damage. I’m a new driver and I panicked. Never done this before or been in a situation like this so I didn’t know what to do. What does a similar thread have to do with this?

It's not really for you to decide whether the damage you caused to someone else's property and then deceitfully drove off is essentially 'not a big thing'.

Maybe a three-inch scratch is a very serious thing to the owner of the car. It's bad enough you've done this, without trying to minimise the damage you've caused.

I hate people like you. And I bet you drive some crappy car which if it gets scratched and dented is irrelevant. Some of us work bloody hard to be able to afford nice cars and resent it when ignorant kids like you damage them and then just drive off.
Reply 11
Original post by sdaahakdjsahd
Its probably not a big deal in terms of damage and expenses but you will obviously need to be careful the next time, just leave a note or something.

Thanks and yeah I will do
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
It's not really for you to decide whether the damage you caused to someone else's property and then deceitfully drove off is essentially 'not a big thing'.

Maybe a three-inch scratch is a very serious thing to the owner of the car. It's bad enough you've done this, without trying to minimise the damage you've caused.

I hate people like you. And I bet you drive some crappy car which if it gets scratched and dented is irrelevant. Some of us work bloody hard to be able to afford nice cars and resent it when ignorant kids like you damage them and then just drive off.

I work extremely hard to afford the car I have. And it’s not crappy thanks :smile: AGAIN I will be happy to pay for the damage.
Ok boomer. I work extremely hard to afford the car I have. And it’s not crappy thanks :smile: AGAIN I will be happy to pay for the damage.

You do realise that it could be argued you committed a crime, right? You shouldn't be so blasé about it.
And doesn't that just sum up your bad attitude. I really hope they have CCTV and find you.
Reply 15
Original post by Reality Check
And doesn't that just sum up your bad attitude. I really hope they have CCTV and find you.

And if they do I’ll pay for the damage if they want me to.
Reply 16
To be honest I think these carpark minor scratches are almost normal wear and tear and it is a bit ridiculous for someone to expect the cost of making good. Of course this does depend on the degree of damage and there is certainly a 'do as you would be done by' argument, even if you know full well that someone else would likely have behaved in the same way to you if the situation was reversed. Weight it up and decide what is best to do an certainly what you would do if there should be a next time.

Yeah, but because you ran off they could hold you liable for every dent and scratch they have on that part of the car...
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, but because you ran off they could hold you liable for every dent and scratch they have on that part of the car...

Well if there’s CCTV I’m sure that it would show me brushing just that part of the car then wouldn’t it. I’m not saying I’ve done the right thing. I know I haven’t but if it comes to it I will own up and pay for the damage that I’ve caused

So if you're so willing to pay for the damage, why not leave a note admitting to it. Or is it more that you'll take your chance that they won't be able to find you. As for all this *******s about 'panicking', if you ran a child over in the road would you similarly 'panic' and drive off?

You caused damage to someone's property and drove off. As well as being illegal, it's immoral. Yet you think you can take some sort of moral high ground on this thread when people get irate with you. Ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending