tomster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Has anybody started to prepare for A-levels in September?

I've just been going over Biology, Chemistry and Maths for about a hour a day, but thats because i've broke my wrist and have little else to do. The CGP "Head start" books have been a real help, as they recap all the necessary GCSE modules that will be used in more depth at A-level.
Jizzabelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm studying for A-levels now and I'm in year ten..
I think I'm a bit overenthusiastic! But what you're doing now you've finished school is a good idea I reckon .
rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I borrowed a GCSE Economics book to read over the summer just to give me some preparation for my A Level Economics because I havent studied it before. I havent started reading it yet though. I'm such a procrastinator! :p:
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I haven't done anything yet, I'm going away next week & when I come back I'm going to order my History textbook off Amazon & read it sometime over the summer. [The History teacher asked us to/I actually find reading History textbooks interesting.]
Jizzabelle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Someone neg repped me for studying in advance?
How does that work :\
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jizzabelle)

Well there's nothing WRONG with studying in advance, but when you're just halfway through your GCSE, it's debatable as to how much of the AS course you'd understand. It may be more beneficial just to wait until you've finished the GCSE. But hey, if you're getting on OK with studying in advance, then just ignore me lol.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
some people are idiots??

However I do think year 10 is a little early lol (unless your planning on doing any AS exams early).

But preparing for A levels over the summer, well considering the rain we're having atm, I'd say its a good use of time. Some subjects will benefit more from it though. Something like history I would say is a good idea to go and get a book out of the library for.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think it's such a good idea to study in advance, you'll just get confused and inevitably end up 'studying' the wrong topics etc. Plus, this is supposed to be the best summer of your lives, just relax and enjoy it.
dancingshoes10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I havent done any yet but my Maths teacher told me I should do some algerbra prep. I bought the book The Undercover Economist thinking it would give me an idea for Economics but haven't read it yet.
spicyred
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have homework from different prospective a-level courses...and we must complete it if we want to study that a-level come September
lizzierocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
dont worry about preparing, in all seriousness.

enjoy yourself this summer, forget the books! do whatever work you have to do (ie the stuff school gave you, i was luckywith this cos i went to a different college) and then put your feet up. this is probably your last proper chance to fully put your feet up and not have to majorly worry about things or work, though i didnt do any over my alevels in the holidays.

dont worry about getting ahead of everyone else, theres no point cos youll just be bored when the teachers go over it anyway as they dont expect you to do it!
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 11 years ago
nope not yet, probably won't...had enough of reading through text books for howevee long for the GCSEs, though i suppose it might give something to do..
LearningMath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nothingspek)
I don't think it's such a good idea to study in advance, you'll just get confused and inevitably end up 'studying' the wrong topics etc. Plus, this is supposed to be the best summer of your lives, just relax and enjoy it.
You're only gona get 'lost' if your thick . As to studying the wrong topics, most people should know their exam board and spec, if not just jump on the school/exam board website and take a look. I just found my chem course on OCR website, had a look on amazon for decent textbooks covering the same topics and bought it. I'm doing fine, and if you get stuck... TSR knows it all.

As to the year 10 poster, well... no one likes a smart alec :p: ... joking, although maybe it is a bit early? For maths i can see you doing A-level early no prob, but for other subjects i cant see you really understanding them at A-level without having had a grounding in GCSE knowledge...

EDIT: To all the 'live n let live' posts, some lads and lasses just get bored, doing some extra reading is fun! :dontknow:
chevina
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm studying for A-levels now and I'm in year ten..
I think I'm a bit overenthusiastic! But what you're doing now you've finished school is a good idea I reckon .
Don't take this the wrong way, but wouldn't your time be better spend improving your GCSEs? I see you're predicted a B in French - why not spend the summer reading a couple of easy books in French, do some grammar exercises..?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lizzierocks)
dont worry about preparing, in all seriousness.

enjoy yourself this summer, forget the books! do whatever work you have to do (ie the stuff school gave you, i was luckywith this cos i went to a different college) and then put your feet up. this is probably your last proper chance to fully put your feet up and not have to majorly worry about things or work, though i didnt do any over my alevels in the holidays.

dont worry about getting ahead of everyone else, theres no point cos youll just be bored when the teachers go over it anyway as they dont expect you to do it!
Some of us are expected to read the textbook before we start 6th form.
rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
studying for A levels in year 10, ahahaha. not a good idea...
moody28028
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by spicyred)
I have homework from different prospective a-level courses...and we must complete it if we want to study that a-level come September
Ditto, for some subjects anyway. I'm sure we're still let on the courses without it though!
jobo3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't bother, relax and enjoy your summer, you won't get another one completely off for 2 years. I never 'prepared' and neither did anyone I know.
lizzierocks
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Some of us are expected to read the textbook before we start 6th form.
even then the course wouldnt rely on you doing that, otherwise you wouldnt have to go to college.

read it if you really feel you need to, and then relax. reading it would take like a day tops.
Tom4510
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im sorry, but if you're preparing now ( after GCSEs) you're stupid. Its not going to make a difference if you know how to do a few things at the beggining of AS because all that'll happen is that you'll be held back for everyone to catch up and your work will have been for nothing.

I guarantee you it wont make ANY difference to your grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads