vflynn200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, I'm applying for a Masters in Social Work in Scotland, have just sent my UCAS off at the weekend and have applied for GCU, Edinburgh, Stirling, Strathclyde and UWS.

Anyone else applying?
ninontsang
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heyy
what a-levels did you take?
- Ninon
vflynn200
Rep:
?
Hi I’m Scottish and didn’t do A Levels! I got AABBC in 5th year for highers. Then got AA and an A at Scottish Advanced Higher in Modern Studies in 6th year.I’m in my fourth year at undergraduate now!
vflynn200
Rep:
?
Thought I’d write an update and say that I’ve had acknowledgements from Edinburgh, UWS, Stirling. And Strathclyde have asked for Further Info, with an essay and a second reference!

I also received a conditional from Dundee University today! I just need a 2:2 in my undergrad

Last edited by vflynn200; 1 year ago
broccoli_chan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm planning to apply next year for the 2021 term, but I'll be following this thread to see what the process is like and for any potential advice that may come up. I'm an international student (from India) with a background in Psychology, so I'm guessing it's going to be a little different for applicants like me who have foreign qualifications.

All the best, everyone!
af-xx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I've applied for msc social work at dundee. I've not heard anything yet but only applied just over a week ago. Hopefully hear something soon
vflynn200
Rep:
?
(Original post by af-xx)
Hi I've applied for msc social work at dundee. I've not heard anything yet but only applied just over a week ago. Hopefully hear something soon
They emailed me to confirm my fee status first and I think I got an offer about a week later. You applying anywhere else?? Good luck
CoolBreeze89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For MSc SW at Stirling 2020 (Jan start), I was filtered through a couple of different selection criteria, stage one one being the classifaction of my undergraduate degree followed by a stage two task. Completed the stage two task months ago and was offered a bursary to cover about 70% of the course fees. Also received a living allowance. Stage two task for the MSc is scenario based. My score was 15/20 and still received bursary. Depends on how many high scoring applicants there were as there is only limited funding. Due to start the course on 13th Jan!
Koala2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve applied to Cardiff, just waiting to hear now! 🤞
vflynn200
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
That’s me submitted my FIR for Starthyclyde and I’ve got a group interview for UWS on Friday
broccoli_chan
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by vflynn200)
That’s me submitted my FIR for Starthyclyde and I’ve got a group interview for UWS on Friday
How did it go?
vflynn200
Rep:
?
(Original post by broccoli_chan)
How did it go?
It went quite well - I heard back on Tuesday and I’ve got a conditional offer from them. It’s just a 15 min group discussion and even if you didn’t seem to get a chance to input they went round and asked you questions if they felt you hadn’t had much of a chance.
broccoli_chan
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by vflynn200)
It went quite well - I heard back on Tuesday and I’ve got a conditional offer from them. It’s just a 15 min group discussion and even if you didn’t seem to get a chance to input they went round and asked you questions if they felt you hadn’t had much of a chance.
Congratulations!
nocheeseplease
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I applied to Strathclyde and Caledonian - I have an ordinary BA in Criminal Justice and 4 years of work experience (would be 5 years be the time September comes round) in social care. Strathclyde have already turned me down. I got my BA at UWS and I HATED it there. I was absolutely determined I would not be applying there for postgrad but now I'm spooked that I'm not going to get in anywhere and wondering if I'm going to have to add them as a choice. After all if my work experience doesn't make up for me not having a 1st class honours at this point then will it ever?
vflynn200
Rep:
?
(Original post by nocheeseplease)
I applied to Strathclyde and Caledonian - I have an ordinary BA in Criminal Justice and 4 years of work experience (would be 5 years be the time September comes round) in social care. Strathclyde have already turned me down. I got my BA at UWS and I HATED it there. I was absolutely determined I would not be applying there for postgrad but now I'm spooked that I'm not going to get in anywhere and wondering if I'm going to have to add them as a choice. After all if my work experience doesn't make up for me not having a 1st class honours at this point then will it ever?
They really stress the experience part but I really do understand why when lots of applicants are coming in from social care jobs already and I think we’re expected to jump straight into placements. I mean placement is two semesters out of four I think for most if not all uni’s, so it wouldn’t be a lot of time at the uni really! The UWS course sounded fine, the lecturers seemed lovely at the interview as well as knowledgeable and experienced. Hope the application process is successful for you
broccoli_chan
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by nocheeseplease)
Strathclyde does have some of the highest entry standards for Social Work according to past data. Nonetheless, I'm surprised they would reject someone with 4 years of experience and an allied degree unless there was a very compelling reason. Did you ask them for feedback?
AADemi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi! Im glad this was started up
Congrats to everyone thats got a place!
Im in my 4th year of university at Manchester Metropolitan And im applying for Uni of Man, Uni of Sheffield, Uni of Huddersfield and Man Met. Ive just completed my personal statement and hope to submit my app by next week.
Im doing my undergrad in Maths, and i did a placement year with NHS England
Does anyone go do social work at Uni of Man, or applied as thats where im looking to go?
de1171
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Submitted my application in November, completed interview in January and received an unconditional offer this week to start in September very excited but nervous!
k18y
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I had an interview for Strathclyde on 13th feb - haven't heard back yet though. Got an interview for UWS
vflynn200
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by k18y)
I had an interview for Strathclyde on 13th feb - haven't heard back yet though. Got an interview for UWS
That’s when mine was too, but I think they’ve had quite a few group interviews that day.

Heard from GCU about an applicant day in a couple weeks which is reassuring, would much rather go GCU than Strathy based on what I’ve heard about student support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.34%
I don't have everything I need (90)
37.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed