How should I be annotating my A-Level English literature Texts?

Watch
Fosbourne85
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,
So mainly for Paradise Lost, what with it being such a heavy book my annotations are mainly translations of sentences and definitions of key words, but i feel like everyone else in my class have got other sorts of annotations and really detailed and good ones.
Does anybody have any advice of what I should be annotating in particular, in Paradise Lost or any other texts in general?
Many thanks
thedayismyenxmy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fosbourne85)
Hey guys,
So mainly for Paradise Lost, what with it being such a heavy book my annotations are mainly translations of sentences and definitions of key words, but i feel like everyone else in my class have got other sorts of annotations and really detailed and good ones.
Does anybody have any advice of what I should be annotating in particular, in Paradise Lost or any other texts in general?
Many thanks
Hi,

I haven't studied Paradise Lost personally, but I have studied some rather long texts. It's good that you have translations and definitions, they'll aid you in your understanding of the text. One thing I would say though is to think about what certain lines are suggesting. I studied Lamia by John Keats at A-Level and the one thing I always considered in his poetry (and this has helped with my degree too) is how Lamia is represented. This is one thing you could think about with Paradise Lost. Google (although not always recommended) sometimes has some good annotation suggestions too.

Hope this helps!
Gilwern
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my experience, annotations have 2 functions:

An annotation is simply a thought I have while reading something. Doing this helps me to memorise key information. It also keeps me engaged in the text: I'm actively reading, interpreting information, figuring out what the text means and suggests.

An annotation is for marking off key passages that could be useful in the future. If you know what the essay topic is, you can mark off sections or quotes that will help you with it.

Question:
Do you have an essay topic for Paradise Lost?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (55)
13.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (90)
22.9%
Live streaming events (38)
9.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (38)
9.67%
A uni comparison tool (88)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (84)
21.37%