yoshimax
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm writing my personal statement now, and it's currently 3252 characters and 47 lines, so I can't write any more. I had to take a lot out to get it down to 47 lines. Is there any way I can write more? Is taking out the line breaks in between paragraphs (I only have 4 paragraphs) a good idea?
Last edited by yoshimax; 1 year ago
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yoshimax)
I'm writing my personal statement now, and it's currently 3252 characters and 40 lines, so I can't write any more. I had to take a lot out to get it down to 40 lines. Is there any way I can write more? Is taking out the line breaks in between paragraphs (I only have 4 paragraphs) a good idea?
Are you currently viewing in UCAS or an online template that recreates these conditions?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm writing my personal statement now, and it's currently 3252 characters and 40 lines, so I can't write any more. I had to take a lot out to get it down to 40 lines. Is there any way I can write more? Is taking out the line breaks in between paragraphs (I only have 4 paragraphs) a good idea?
The line limit is 47 lines not 40.

You can probably include another 200-300 characters without sacrificing your blank lines between paragraphs
yoshimax
Rep:
?
(Original post by AfricanDream)
Are you currently viewing in UCAS or an online template that recreates these conditions?
In UCAS (UCAS Teacher Training, specifically).
yoshimax
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
The line limit is 47 lines not 40.

You can probably include another 200-300 characters without sacrificing your blank lines between paragraphs
You're right, sorry! I have 47 lines, not 40.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm writing my personal statement now, and it's currently 3252 characters and 47 lines, so I can't write any more. I had to take a lot out to get it down to 47 lines. Is there any way I can write more? Is taking out the line breaks in between paragraphs (I only have 4 paragraphs) a good idea?
In UCAS (UCAS Teacher Training, specifically).
I submitted my UCAS application in October with a personal statement that had 3999 characters and 47 lines. I was way over at first and initially tried to just cut down on words- this got rid of too many characters and important content though. If you are worried about it fitting in 47 lines, I found https://www.studential.com/applying/...length-checker very helpful in recreating UCAS conditions and therefore allowing me to edit viewing each line and its content. Not sure about UCAS teacher training or what it looks like, does it show you how it would fit line by line? Does it show you how it formats the final product or just currently tells you what the line count and character count will be? Try imputting your PS to studential to see if it is any different in its view and see if there is a great difference between where on the page some of the lines end (where the last word on each line is)- if that makes sense.

I found that in some cases rearranging my wording could save me lines as UCAS format wastes space e.g. If you have ... and..., you could find that by swapping the long word- if there is one with the short might save you space. Even possibly rearranging your sentences to use precise wording that may be shorter allowing more characters to be fit in each line. I would say avoid removing paragraphs spaces if you can as I would honestly not have done it if I could have avoided it- this may just be personal preference though. I had to take out the lines between my paragraphs (I had like 6 or 7 paragraphs to start), but in making that sacrifice I tried to ensure that it was still clear that it was a new paragraph, e.g. the last sentence of the previous paragraph would end in the first half of the line if possible. Like this is sentence is demonstrating.

It took lots of trial and error to get my PS -3999 and 47 in the end, lots of shifting and rewording. Some words had to be removed completely, others simply replaced. Studential ps writing length checker was honestly a life saver for me.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 1 year ago
m098
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i submitted mine in october and didn't have any line breaks (3998 characters and 47 lines) and it won't affect which unis you get into because i got into 4 of them!! good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.63%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.5%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (138)
28.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed