Gcse french writing Watch

astarvibegeorgia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
i’m in year 11 & have a french writing mock coming up , any tips ? I’m trying to get an A in this one .

jostephens
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

Obviously try and get as many different tenses as possible: present, past, future, conditional. Something really impressive that's an A* structure is the pluperfect and then the conditional perfect. If you haven't been taught it yet, then don't get worried if this sounds confusing.

You could say something like "Si j'avais eu l'argent, j'aurais voyage aux Etats-Unis" which means "If I had had the money, I would have travelled to America.". Voyage needs an acute accent on the e because it's a regular past participle.

Another really impressive thing to use is the subjunctive. If you haven't learnt this either, don't worry about it because we still cover this during A-levels.

You could say "Je pense qu'il est important que je fasse les sports." This would really impress your teacher, and again it's an A* structure.

I hope this helps!
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jostephens)
Hi,

Obviously try and get as many different tenses as possible: present, past, future, conditional. Something really impressive that's an A* structure is the pluperfect and then the conditional perfect. If you haven't been taught it yet, then don't get worried if this sounds confusing.

You could say something like "Si j'avais eu l'argent, j'aurais voyage aux Etats-Unis" which means "If I had had the money, I would have travelled to America.". Voyage needs an acute accent on the e because it's a regular past participle.

Another really impressive thing to use is the subjunctive. If you haven't learnt this either, don't worry about it because we still cover this during A-levels.

You could say "Je pense qu'il est important que je fasse les sports." This would really impress your teacher, and again it's an A* structure.

I hope this helps!
“Si j’avais eu de l’argent j’aurais voyagé aux États-Unis” make sure your sentence is spelt correctly and is grammatically correct.
That sentence is boring and just uses the subjunctive for the sake of it. It’s is faire du sport not faire des sports, and “il vaut mieux que si tu choisisse “on” au lieu de “je””. This is a sentence about general advice.

Make sure the information you provide is grammatically accurate before posting please. There isn’t such a thing as an “A* structure” that’s too generalised. If everyone learns some typical subjunctive phrases it’s not impressive, one should use the sentence naturally in a relevant context where the subjunctive makes sense, not just for the sake of it.
“Il faut que je réussisse mes examens cet été” is a nice one, I used that in GCSE.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 2 weeks ago
teeras8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is the subjunctive ? Im in year 11 and i dont know if this is bad that I dont know this... my teacher never said anything about this or the pluperfect..
jostephens
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you haven't been taught it yet. I only learnt it maybe 2 weeks before the actual writing exam. They can be quite confusing, and even at A-level it's pretty hard, so you don't need to worry about it for now. Depending on whether you're doing the foundation or higher paper, you might not be taught it. I'd just wait until your teacher brings it up.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you haven't been taught it yet. I only learnt it maybe 2 weeks before the actual writing exam. They can be quite confusing, and even at A-level it's pretty hard, so you don't need to worry about it for now. Depending on whether you're doing the foundation or higher paper, you might not be taught it. I'd just wait until your teacher brings it up.
At a-level it’s so easy what are you talking about? Do you mean the imperfect subjunctive used in literary writing?
jostephens
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
At a-level it’s so easy what are you talking about? Do you mean the imperfect subjunctive used in literary writing?
Look, different people find different things difficult, so you shouldn't make people feel bad about that. If I find something hard, I find it hard. Simple. Sometimes I mix up when to use the subjunctive because I study Spanish too, and they occasionally use it differently compared to when it's used in French. I'm not going to judge random people on the internet or in person if they find something difficult, so you shouldn't either.
teeras8
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Thanksss
Miimiin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by astarvibegeorgia)
i’m in year 11 & have a french writing mock coming up , any tips ? I’m trying to get an A in this one .
Do what you find managing ;
Plan study timetables for when you are going to revise in the day.
Concentrate while studying.
Get enough rest before the exam and enjoy !
Trying is an achievement also !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (72)
32.58%
No I don't (104)
47.06%
I work during the holidays (45)
20.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise