The Student Room Group

Dropping nursing and changing to Midwifery

Hi, i just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience or could help with advice
I am currently thinking about changing from my Nursing to a Midwifery degree, ive done a year of nursing and i am enjoying it, theres nothing wrong with my course and if im completely honest i feel like i would still be happy if i finished my nursing course.

However, recently i have become really interested in midwifery and i feel like i would find it a lot more enjoyable, i can see myself feeling really rewarded and amazed by being able to help bring new life into the world. I have been thinking this for a couple of months and before then i was thinking about possibly doing the conversion course or atleast trying to work in NICU or SCBU as a nurse once i qualify even though im doing adult nursing as i want to have that option to work with babies, maybe even health visiting. I feel like Midwifery would be a better fit for me .
Another thing is with nursing, not in a bad way as i do love talking to older people , but sometimes this gets me down, i want to have that interaction there, lots of the old people are lovely dont get me wrong and i thoroughly enjoy caring for them but sometimes i do find it hard to connect sometimes, and as a lot of them have the same issues - dementia,falls risk,confusion - it can be really draining . Im not saying you wouldn't get similar things in Midwifery but i just feel like you would see a wider age range as you would get to be more involved with mums of all ages, the babies and their families.
I am 20 at the moment and before this was doing an English degree and i have anxiety so im really worried if this is the right decision for me or if im just being impulsive and would regret changing as i already changed once to nursing . I am 20 and am also worried id be starting again when im 21 and all my friends are already in their third year and finishing their degrees, i know this shouldnt bother me but i feel like a failure sometimes. I know my anxiety and mental health is taking a toll though and trying to get help from University
Original post by carleymariex
Hi, i just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience or could help with advice
I am currently thinking about changing from my Nursing to a Midwifery degree, ive done a year of nursing and i am enjoying it, theres nothing wrong with my course and if im completely honest i feel like i would still be happy if i finished my nursing course.

However, recently i have become really interested in midwifery and i feel like i would find it a lot more enjoyable, i can see myself feeling really rewarded and amazed by being able to help bring new life into the world. I have been thinking this for a couple of months and before then i was thinking about possibly doing the conversion course or atleast trying to work in NICU or SCBU as a nurse once i qualify even though im doing adult nursing as i want to have that option to work with babies, maybe even health visiting. I feel like Midwifery would be a better fit for me .
Another thing is with nursing, not in a bad way as i do love talking to older people , but sometimes this gets me down, i want to have that interaction there, lots of the old people are lovely dont get me wrong and i thoroughly enjoy caring for them but sometimes i do find it hard to connect sometimes, and as a lot of them have the same issues - dementia,falls risk,confusion - it can be really draining . Im not saying you wouldn't get similar things in Midwifery but i just feel like you would see a wider age range as you would get to be more involved with mums of all ages, the babies and their families.
I am 20 at the moment and before this was doing an English degree and i have anxiety so im really worried if this is the right decision for me or if im just being impulsive and would regret changing as i already changed once to nursing . I am 20 and am also worried id be starting again when im 21 and all my friends are already in their third year and finishing their degrees, i know this shouldnt bother me but i feel like a failure sometimes. I know my anxiety and mental health is taking a toll though and trying to get help from University

I'd finish your nursing and do an 18 month midwifery course afterwards. I'm going into midwifery and a uni came to my college to talk to us, they said that if we dont get directly onto midwifery to opt for adult nursing as you can do the short course. Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending