M567 – Condemnation of Fat Activism Motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M567 – Condemnation of Fat Activism Motion: LiberofLondon MP
This House condemns the regrettable belief that obese people are inherently as healthy as people with a healthy weight (known as Healthy at Every Size), acknowledges that being overweight can cause health problems and recognises that organisations do not have to provide special provisions for obese people, and that doing so is not ”fatphobic” or discriminatory.

The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On face value I suppose it's an aye, the state shouldn't force organisations to cater towards people who are in a shape mostly by their own doing.

Although, I am questioning why the author has made this motion, has this come as a result of something in particular?
Last edited by The Mogg; 1 month ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd like to see the answer to The Mogg's question to get to know the intentions behind this motion.

To discuss my views on this issue generally: I am personally against fat shaming because I believe this leads to a culture where insecurities are rife, leading to mental health issues such as anorexia and bulimia. Of course, at the same time I believe that those who are overweight through poor eating habits should be encouraged to remedy that through positive encouragement measures.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 1 month ago
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, i support this motion.

Obesity does significant damage to society and generates significant significant costs relating to health and social care via its related conditions. Although i suspect the author won't agree with me on how to solve it, the plus size movement is generally a bad thing in that it attempts to encourage denial.

That said, i do agree with the Rt. Hon. Catus that fat shaming should also not be encouraged.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree we should tackle obesity and not view it as healthy. So what does this motion do- we could have re-affirmed support for NHS campaigns and those in schools about healthy eating perhaps.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Demi Lovato approves.

*doing whale sounds*
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
On face value I suppose it's an aye, the state shouldn't force organisations to cater towards people who are in a shape mostly by their own doing.

Although, I am questioning why the author has made this motion, has this come as a result of something in particular?
Perhaps the rise of "plus-size" models such as

The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)

Of course, there are things like this. I was just wondering if there was any recent event in particular which prompted the author to make this motion now.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course, there are things like this. I was just wondering if there was any recent event in particular which prompted the author to make this motion now.
Not sure if related, but I believe Victoria's Secret's plus-size campaign is new. I just saw it the other day.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure if related, but I believe Victoria's Secret's plus-size campaign is new. I just saw it the other day.
Possibly. Something that I'm sure will come as a shock to the masses is that I'm not a follower of Victoria's Secret or their campaigns.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Possibly. Something that I'm sure will come as a shock to the masses is that I'm not a follower of Victoria's Secret or their campaigns.
Well, I just passed by it at the mall and was shocked at the image.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I just passed by it at the mall and was shocked at the image.
Must have been quite a big shock, if you get my drift.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

This, the fact people take Lizzo seriously and the whole ”it's my genetics” trend.
The point of models is not to weigh 25 stone.
Last edited by LiberOfLondon; 1 month ago
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay from me - doesn't seem like something worthy of a motion, and if you actually want to address an obesity issue then I agree with barnetlad that there were other approaches that could have been taken here.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by liberoflondon)
this, the fact people take lizzo seriously and the whole ”it's my genetics” trend.
The point of models is not to weigh 25 stone.
she's just big boned
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
she's just big boned
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, definitely so.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I wonder which animal posted this? Google tells me the average human male skeleton is around less than 11kg.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think we should avoid posting comments that aren't being used to directly address the content of the motion, don't you chaps?
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wonder which animal posted this? Google tells me the average human male skeleton is around less than 11kg.
It was on here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fatlogic/
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (95)
12.84%
1 (93)
12.57%
2 (94)
12.7%
19.32%
22.7%
19.86%

Watched Threads