Hurts after vaginal swab

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey this might be a really stupid question
I was asked to swab my own vagina today, sounded easy - however it really hurt to put the swab in and when I took it out it was covered in blood. It now really hurts to pee. I do have a small tear at the base of my vagina which bled for a while but it seems to have healed and isn't bleeding. Yes its stupid but could I have accidentally put the swab up my urethra instead? Its the only reason I can think for it to still hurt when I pee. It did't hurt before this swab.
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey this might be a really stupid question
I was asked to swab my own vagina today, sounded easy - however it really hurt to put the swab in and when I took it out it was covered in blood. It now really hurts to pee. I do have a small tear at the base of my vagina which bled for a while but it seems to have healed and isn't bleeding. Yes its stupid but could I have accidentally put the swab up my urethra instead? Its the only reason I can think for it to still hurt when I pee. It did't hurt before this swab.
It could be possible that you put it up your urethra, that may be the reason why it hurts when you pee.
I think I would make an appointment to see my Gp and get it checked out just to be on the safe side. Might also be prudent to get your vagina checked out to ensure the tear has repaired itself.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it would be pretty difficult (thought not impossible, I guess) to put a swab into your urethra since your urethra is pretty small. Maybe you just accidentally scratched your vulva when you were doing the swab? Or maybe the pain is unrelated and you are getting a UTI or something? Probably best to see your GP if things don't settle.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've poked something. Could well be urethra. If it gets worse then see your GP. I suspect it will go back to normal in a day of two, whatever you did.

Were you symptomatic (ie did you go to the doctor with a problem related to your vagina) or is this incidental screening?

I would also have mild concern that if you swabbed somewhere other than your vagina and got blood is the test going to work? Can you trust the result - either positive or negative?
Washington88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hello, I'm a ****ing moron and I think I've done the same thing. I'm in a lot of pain and was wondering when your urethra stopped hurting because I don't know how long I can wee like this for
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Washington88)
hello, I'm a ****ing moron and I think I've done the same thing. I'm in a lot of pain and was wondering when your urethra stopped hurting because I don't know how long I can wee like this for
Call 111 this site won't be helpful enough.
DrunkonCandy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What ended up happening with you? Same thing happening with me currently!!!!
Quickquery
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I think I am in the same boat. I am dreading going to the bathroom and it’s only been a couple of hours after the swab. How long did it take for you to feel okay again? Or do I need to visit my doctor again?
Quickquery
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I think I am in the same boat. I’m dreading going to the bathroom, when did it stop hurting? Or did you have to go see the doctor again?
robyn_farren
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey did anyone figure out what happened? Or how long it take to stop hurting?Currently got the same thing happening, really hurt to put it in (definitely the right hole though), I don't think I put it in far enough the first time I tried because when I turned it it hurt like hell? Then the second time I put it far enough in that it was fine to turn then hurt again when I took it out. I peed perfectly fine right before doing it, then afterwards I punched a wall when I tried to pee. Was the swab supposed to be wet beforehand? Glad to find out I wasn't the only person this happened to though. If I don't get a reply I'll try to remember to note down here when it stops hurting.
Quickquery
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by robyn_farren)
Hey did anyone figure out what happened? Or how long it take to stop hurting?Currently got the same thing happening, really hurt to put it in (definitely the right hole though), I don't think I put it in far enough the first time I tried because when I turned it it hurt like hell? Then the second time I put it far enough in that it was fine to turn then hurt again when I took it out. I peed perfectly fine right before doing it, then afterwards I punched a wall when I tried to pee. Was the swab supposed to be wet beforehand? Glad to find out I wasn't the only person this happened to though. If I don't get a reply I'll try to remember to note down here when it stops hurting.
So I still have no idea what caused the pain while peeing. But I can tell you that it stopped around day 3. The first night was awful and I hated going to the bathroom - kind of forced myself to pee. The next day was still not the best but not nearly as bad as the first night - so bearable. Then the third day out I would say almost back to normal, little to no pain. So I can say if your case is similar just wait it out. I know it sucks right now but it will lessen and go away after a couple of days or at least that’s what happened for me.
robyn_farren
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Quickquery)
So I still have no idea what caused the pain while peeing. But I can tell you that it stopped around day 3. The first night was awful and I hated going to the bathroom - kind of forced myself to pee. The next day was still not the best but not nearly as bad as the first night - so bearable. Then the third day out I would say almost back to normal, little to no pain. So I can say if your case is similar just wait it out. I know it sucks right now but it will lessen and go away after a couple of days or at least that’s what happened for me.
Yeah, thanks. It stopped after like 2 days for me. To any future readers, would recommend drinking more water than usual, seems counterproductive but diluted pee hurts less
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hey sorry for leaving this thread in a lurch, I called 111 for advice and they said I likely put it up my urethra in the end. They said to keep an eye on it and if it worsens to treat for a UTI. It only bled for the day I jabbed it and the pain slowly eased up. It was hurting a lot but was fine after about a week
candydiva
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I know this is gonna sound weird to some ppl.. but if u are concerned about this possibility it helps to finger urself or insert an object into ur vagina some time before u do a swab. It helps stretch u out meaning it's far less likely that u will insert the swab into ur urethra with these unpleasant side-effects.
Last edited by candydiva; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (79)
42.47%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (32)
17.2%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (72)
38.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.61%

Watched Threads