apspirei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm applying for psychology 2020 and my first choices are Durham, Exeter, Bristol but i'm struggling to choose a 4th and 5th choice with lower entry requirements as an insurance.
I've visited Royal Holloway and it is gorgeous, it's very homily, I like how the uni represents itself but i'm not sure how vibrant it will be, it has the lowest entry requirements out of all of them but I know it also has a lower reputation? Correct me if i'm wrong?
As for Nottingham, I also visited an open day and loved the campus, it's more vibrant than RH, but I've heard the city can be a bit rough?
St Andrews has the best reputation, I haven't visited as it's quite far from me which is another reason i'm questioning applying, but it is beautiful, it's got the beach, just there doesn't seem like there's a lot to do.
Anyone study psychology at any of these or have any advice or experience? Thank you so much!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The usual advice is :
1 choice just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 at your predicted grades
1 or 2 below your predicted grades

'A grade' Unis are competitive and not only do they ask for high grades - if you miss your offer, they are less likely to be lenient in August. This means your Insurance choices have to be very realistic and 'cover' you if you should drop by more than two grades.
Royal Holloway is only one grade below Bristol, its a London Uni, it asks for A grades and so its still 'risky'. You might like to look at at least one choice that is much lower - Surrey, UEA, Plymouth, Oxford Brookes etc - lower grade requirements and more likely to be lenient if you 'miss'. Or look at a related subject course at Durham, Exeter, Bristol that has lower grade requirements.

'Reputation' is a nebulous concept and since you can't measure it, its not exactly a reliable way to choose a Uni.
The important thing for Psychology is accreditation by BPS - that is what relevant employers will look for : https://www.bps.org.uk/our-members/accreditation
apspirei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
The usual advice is :
1 choice just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 at your predicted grades
1 or 2 below your predicted grades

'A grade' Unis are competitive and not only do they ask for high grades - if you miss your offer, they are less likely to be lenient in August. This means your Insurance choices have to be very realistic and 'cover' you if you should drop by more than two grades.
Royal Holloway is only one grade below Bristol, its a London Uni, it asks for A grades and so its still 'risky'. You might like to look at at least one choice that is much lower - Surrey, UEA, Plymouth, Oxford Brookes etc - lower grade requirements and more likely to be lenient if you 'miss'. Or look at a related subject course at Durham, Exeter, Bristol that has lower grade requirements.

'Reputation' is a nebulous concept and since you can't measure it, its not exactly a reliable way to choose a Uni.
The important thing for Psychology is accreditation by BPS - that is what relevant employers will look for : https://www.bps.org.uk/our-members/accreditation
For royal holloway the entry requirement for me is actually ABB because i do science subjects an an EPQ. My predicted grades are A*A*A, my entry requirements for Bristol would be A*AB or AAA. and For nottingham and st. andrews it’s AAB. Do you think it would be okay with putting either St. andrews or Nottingham as insurance or should i be safer and put Royal Holloway as insurance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed