secret_pineapple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in year 10 so I've just started my GCSE courses and I was wondering which revision books are the best to use.

My subjects are:
Maths (AQA), English (Lit + Lang, edexcel), Biology/Chemistry/Physics (AQA), French (AQA), Spanish (AQA), Food tech (AQA)

I don't particularly like the layout of CGP books as they are way to coloured/bolded etc, however I've heard that they have good content?

For any type of revision that I do, I tend to lack the motivation to do it, no matter how important I know it is, so books with set questions and a clear layout, as well as the necessary info are probably my best shot, but any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
angelxpink
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I completely understand what u mean by the layout of CGP books and them being too bright - I was exactly the same. But for sciences they r honestly the best. I tried a load of other revision guides but CGP was the only one that had all of the required information for the spec. Maths is more difficult because it is less about learning and more about practice so I don’t think it really matters what guide u get because it’s all about doing questions. York notes for English lit r pretty good but I just used my class notes. Idk about English Lang cos I didn’t do ur spec so can’t help much there. French/Spanish is a bit like maths in that it doesn’t really matter what guide u get cos it’s about practicing. I have no idea about food tech but I did aqa textiles and used the Collins revision guide which was v good so idk if it might be good for food tech as well.

Ultimately, my best advice is make sure u have a copy of the spec for each subject cos it tells u exactly what u need to know so u don’t end up learning irrelevant info and really helped motivate me to revise. Also make sure you r doing past paper questions as it’s not as tedious as reading through notes as it is active recall which is the best way to ensure u know the content. Furthermore, pay attention to mark schemes as they will determine whether u get the marks - they r very repetitive so if u start to notice patterns you will know what u need to write for each question.

Hope that’s helps xx
secret_pineapple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by angelxpink)
I completely understand what u mean by the layout of CGP books and them being too bright - I was exactly the same. But for sciences they r honestly the best. I tried a load of other revision guides but CGP was the only one that had all of the required information for the spec. Maths is more difficult because it is less about learning and more about practice so I don’t think it really matters what guide u get because it’s all about doing questions. York notes for English lit r pretty good but I just used my class notes. Idk about English Lang cos I didn’t do ur spec so can’t help much there. French/Spanish is a bit like maths in that it doesn’t really matter what guide u get cos it’s about practicing. I have no idea about food tech but I did aqa textiles and used the Collins revision guide which was v good so idk if it might be good for food tech as well.

Ultimately, my best advice is make sure u have a copy of the spec for each subject cos it tells u exactly what u need to know so u don’t end up learning irrelevant info and really helped motivate me to revise. Also make sure you r doing past paper questions as it’s not as tedious as reading through notes as it is active recall which is the best way to ensure u know the content. Furthermore, pay attention to mark schemes as they will determine whether u get the marks - they r very repetitive so if u start to notice patterns you will know what u need to write for each question.

Hope that’s helps xx
Thank you so much! I'll check out some more CGP ones, if they've got the relevant stuff then it's better than nothing. I've heard about York notes before, apparently they're good. I'll take a look at the Collins food tech as well.

I'm going to start practice papers towards the end of this year, after I've learned more of the content, but the spec is definitely something that I need to properly look at nowish!

Thank you
Last edited by secret_pineapple; 1 year ago
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
CGP are not the best, buy the Collins ones, much more concise and nice to look at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (22)
22%
Unhappy (31)
31%
Conflicted (47)
47%

Watched Threads