username5016834
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
hi nerds

so ive applied to physics at uni and i must say i am doubting my choice! im more down the mathematical end of things re ability, im self teaching FM etc. Butt,,,, now im in a pickle, im doubting whether i should have chosen maths instead of physics, but its too late to change it for ucas and im not sure what to do....

i wont lie i REALLY like physics but i also really like maths.

have you had this dilemma? how did you resolve it?

I had an idea to go for straight physics (because so much lab time is lost in joint honours) and I thought that i should just self teach maths but... then im not so sure.

any ideas or experiences welcome.
username5016834
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
i apologise for incoherency im not a linguist and im also quite distracted by the mucho stress
bradchap
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by maria.rose111111)
hi nerds

so ive applied to physics at uni and i must say i am doubting my choice! im more down the mathematical end of things re ability, im self teaching FM etc. Butt,,,, now im in a pickle, im doubting whether i should have chosen maths instead of physics, but its too late to change it for ucas and im not sure what to do....

i wont lie i REALLY like physics but i also really like maths.

have you had this dilemma? how did you resolve it?

I had an idea to go for straight physics (because so much lab time is lost in joint honours) and I thought that i should just self teach maths but... then im not so sure.

any ideas or experiences welcome.
Hi nerd,

I mean there’s a LOT of maths in a physics degree - its just applied a bit more than the stuff in the maths degree. It just depends how much you like physics and what kind of physics you like (and which uni you’ve applied for best suits) - do you really like space? Quantum? Health Physics? Nanophysics? It’s just something you kind of have to look into for the universities you’ve applied for and see whether the course content has got enough stuff that interests you!

Hope this helps,

A 2nd year physics ‘nerd’
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It depends on what you enjoy from maths. University mathematics is not in any way an extension of A-level maths. If it's applying the methods and solving the problems then that's very different from maths at uni, which generally has a much greater emphasis on understanding the basic logic you actually use in maths.

So if you're enjoying maths at the moment, you'll probably enjoy the maths content in a physics degree. You can also always switch to theoretical physics once you start, or just take more maths modules later on in your degree.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads