St George's University of London
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys!

Since a few of us are quite into our courses at St. George's, we are able to give you the little ins and outs of St. George's in terms of what the best things are to do etc. Anything you would like to know about the student life let us know! I know it's a busy period with interviews and decisions nearing, so it's nice to know a few tips and take your mind off awaiting responses!

P.S. happy to give insight about student London life too! So even if you are not attending St. George's but are thinking about another London university then let us know!!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
f1_carzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by St George's University of London)
Hey guys!

Since a few of us are quite into our courses at St. George's, we are able to give you the little ins and outs of St. George's in terms of what the best things are to do etc. Anything you would like to know about the student life let us know! I know it's a busy period with interviews and decisions nearing, so it's nice to know a few tips and take your mind off awaiting responses!

P.S. happy to give insight about student London life too! So even if you are not attending St. George's but are thinking about another London university then let us know!!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
Hi - what are the most popular clubs and societies at St. Georges, and is there time to get involved? Thanks!
Rep:
?
(Original post by f1_carzy)
Hi - what are the most popular clubs and societies at St. Georges, and is there time to get involved? Thanks!
Hey!

There are soooo many popular clubs and societies but I would say the most common ones are probably rugby, football, netball, rowing, dance societies etc.

Is there anything in particular you are interested in? So I can give you a more specific overview instead of something vague?

We have fresher's fayre in the first week of Uni starting where there will be stalls for each and every society so you can quickly gauge what you are interested in! And yes there is plenty of time to join societies, even in the middle of the year if you think you want to try out another society you can.

Let me know what you are interested in and I can give you some more help.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
f1_carzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

There are soooo many popular clubs and societies but I would say the most common ones are probably rugby, football, netball, rowing, dance societies etc.

Is there anything in particular you are interested in? So I can give you a more specific overview instead of something vague?

We have fresher's fayre in the first week of Uni starting where there will be stalls for each and every society so you can quickly gauge what you are interested in! And yes there is plenty of time to join societies, even in the middle of the year if you think you want to try out another society you can.

Let me know what you are interested in and I can give you some more help.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
Thanks for the reply!

Didn't realise that rowing was there and is popular - that's cool!

Are there any medical societies that are poplar as well? Or would that be too much of an over kill considering that one is surrounded by medical stuff all day! Thanks!
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply!

Didn't realise that rowing was there and is popular - that's cool!

Are there any medical societies that are poplar as well? Or would that be too much of an over kill considering that one is surrounded by medical stuff all day! Thanks!
Yeah, rowing is really popular! Lots of freshers join rowing so it's a great way to make friends, and rowing really becomes a close-knit family at St George's!

As for medical societies, there are actually lots of those too! There's one for pretty much every medical specialty out there, so it means that you can join the societies about the specialties you're interested in to learn more about that speciality as a future career and help yourself advance towards the ones you like!

They also all put on lots of events to help you with your uni work, such as revision lectures or practice OSCEs. And you don't have to a member of the society to attend - it's so great.

So for example, I'm a part of St George's Radiology Society and St George's Obstetrics and Gynaecology society because I'm really interested in both as future careers, and so I get to go to such cool events! For example, St George's Radiology Society put on this amazing event before where they got radiologists in to let us have a go at using the equipment they use to take biopsies on models with fake kidneys inside them to biopsy!

If you click on the Societies tabs on this St George's Student Union webpage https://www.sgsu.org.uk/club-soc/ you can see all of the medical societies for yourself - there's no way I could list them all!

Hope that's useful!

Millie
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London
f1_carzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, rowing is really popular! Lots of freshers join rowing so it's a great way to make friends, and rowing really becomes a close-knit family at St George's!

As for medical societies, there are actually lots of those too! There's one for pretty much every medical specialty out there, so it means that you can join the societies about the specialties you're interested in to learn more about that speciality as a future career and help yourself advance towards the ones you like!

They also all put on lots of events to help you with your uni work, such as revision lectures or practice OSCEs. And you don't have to a member of the society to attend - it's so great.

So for example, I'm a part of St George's Radiology Society and St George's Obstetrics and Gynaecology society because I'm really interested in both as future careers, and so I get to go to such cool events! For example, St George's Radiology Society put on this amazing event before where they got radiologists in to let us have a go at using the equipment they use to take biopsies on models with fake kidneys inside them to biopsy!

If you click on the Societies tabs on this St George's Student Union webpage https://www.sgsu.org.uk/club-soc/ you can see all of the medical societies for yourself - there's no way I could list them all!

Hope that's useful!

Millie
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London
Thanks Millie for sharing the link! Great mix of societies and clubs!
Rep:
?
Thanks Millie for sharing the link! Great mix of societies and clubs!
You're so welcome.

I'm here for any future questions you have!

Millie,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• St George's, University of London
    Undergraduate & Postgraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Jun '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (49)
23.44%
My career doesn't need one (28)
13.4%
I'm sick of studying (43)
20.57%