The Student Room Group

How to maximise marks in history essays

I know it’s very hard to get full marks in history essays but it’s my last year and I need to step it up to get a first. Has anyone here got advice on how to get into the 80-90 Mark band for history essays
Original post by Mouranho20
I know it’s very hard to get full marks in history essays but it’s my last year and I need to step it up to get a first. Has anyone here got advice on how to get into the 80-90 Mark band for history essays

Hi @Mouranho20

Firstly, it is extremely difficult to get marks in the 80-90 range for history but here are the things that I did in essays that I hit these scores.

Structure: The structure of the essay must be perfect and flowing. You have to build your argument from the ground up that structures your essay in a way that each new point building on the last until you have a final verdict on the topic. Write the first draft first and then write the introduction.

Nuance: Understand the nuances of not just the questions but the historiography. Two historians may be considered post-revisionists, and both point to economic factors, but they will have slightly different answers to the same conclusion. Understanding this and identifying it really shows you an understanding of the topic.

Primary sources: You should be using primary sources now. I would advise looking into newspaper archives as you will find some interesting information there.

Grammar: This should be clear why grammar is important.

Hope this helps.

Dom :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending