The Student Room Group

Change jobs to become a HCA?

I currently work full time in administration and although my employer is great, good working hours and good pay, I feel like I want a change and I’m thinking maybe becoming a health care assistant for the NHS.
My current job is Monday to Friday and the pay is good with good prospects to train and increase pay through time. I’ve had lots of promotions and pay rises in the 4 years I’ve been here. However I no longer like the office working environment and feel like I would be better suited to something more hands on and flexible than what I am currently.
This last year I have spent lots of time in and out of hospitals for different reasons and every time I’ve felt more and more that it’s somewhere I’d love to work. However I’ve no experience and the starting salary would be approximately £5,000 per annum compared to what I am earning currently.
I know pay increases with training and this is something that I would want to do but I wondered whether anyone had done this before or could share their experiences of working for the nhs as a healthcare assistant?
I just know I don’t want to work in an office for the rest of my life and the longer I am in my current position the more likely I am to take a bigger pay drop in the future
I am 23 currently and have no monetary commitments other than a few minor things.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by sarahe95
I currently work full time in administration and although my employer is great, good working hours and good pay, I feel like I want a change and I’m thinking maybe becoming a health care assistant for the NHS.
My current job is Monday to Friday and the pay is good with good prospects to train and increase pay through time. I’ve had lots of promotions and pay rises in the 4 years I’ve been here. However I no longer like the office working environment and feel like I would be better suited to something more hands on and flexible than what I am currently.
This last year I have spent lots of time in and out of hospitals for different reasons and every time I’ve felt more and more that it’s somewhere I’d love to work. However I’ve no experience and the starting salary would be approximately £5,000 per annum compared to what I am earning currently.
I know pay increases with training and this is something that I would want to do but I wondered whether anyone had done this before or could share their experiences of working for the nhs as a healthcare assistant?
I just know I don’t want to work in an office for the rest of my life and the longer I am in my current position the more likely I am to take a bigger pay drop in the future
I am 23 currently and have no monetary commitments other than a few minor things.
Thanks!

HCA is hard work, rewarding but hard work. Do you have a good idea of HCA’s roles? Perhaps a little bit of shadowing may help?

You mentioned you don’t want to work in an office for the rest of your life - have you considered anything else other than HCA? Do you only want to work in health care? There are also many other aligned health care roles other than HCA that’s worth considering. Only thing with HCA is that although pay increases with training but long-term progression isn’t amazing, you may reach peak pay by 30 (not definite as with any career it is what you make of it at times but if you follow the NHS pay band then there’s definitely a peak not far down the career progression) and by then you might have other monetary commitments. Where do you see yourself in 5-10yrs? Is great to follow your heart but planning never hurts.
Reply 2
Original post by Gia007
HCA is hard work, rewarding but hard work. Do you have a good idea of HCA’s roles? Perhaps a little bit of shadowing may help?

You mentioned you don’t want to work in an office for the rest of your life - have you considered anything else other than HCA? Do you only want to work in health care? There are also many other aligned health care roles other than HCA that’s worth considering. Only thing with HCA is that although pay increases with training but long-term progression isn’t amazing, you may reach peak pay by 30 (not definite as with any career it is what you make of it at times but if you follow the NHS pay band then there’s definitely a peak not far down the career progression) and by then you might have other monetary commitments. Where do you see yourself in 5-10yrs? Is great to follow your heart but planning never hurts.

Thank you for your reply! It’s not that I only want to work in healthcare it’s just the only think I’ve seen that I think I would be good at :smile:. I love working with children and volunteer every week but don’t know what jobs there are other than teaching which I don’t really want to do. Teaching assistant sounds okay but the pay isn’t very good and I’m not sure if I want to go down the teaching route again.
I honestly have no idea what I want to do career wise anymore. I’m terrified of making a mistake and choosing the wrong thing but know I don’t want to be in an office everyday. I need physical interaction and to provide help and assistance to people and generally feel like I’m helping people. I want a bit more of a flexible working routine also which I don’t have currently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending