Struggling with my a level English language coursework Watch

Bombb21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys I’m doing my language investigation coursework and I’m struggling to annotate my work.ive chosen to analyse an interview.does anyone know what language features I could look for especially in an interview? Anyone who has done this before please help,I’m already behind 😢
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Bombb21)
Hi guys I’m doing my language investigation coursework and I’m struggling to annotate my work.ive chosen to analyse an interview.does anyone know what language features I could look for especially in an interview? Anyone who has done this before please help,I’m already behind 😢
Look at question types: open or closed, direct or indirect.
Look at politeness features (Brown and Levinson) These will depend greatly on context.
Look at breakdowns in communication, specifically pauses or overlaps. If two people speak at the same time, can you explain why it happened at that point? How was it resolved?
You could analyse the transcript using gender theory, seeing whether the speakers match the stereotypes for their gender.
The key feature will be context. What is the purpose of the interview, and what is the relationship between the speakers? A police interview will have completely different language features to someone being questioned on the Graham Norton show.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads