Purdue President refers to Black Scholars as ‘Creatures’ Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The president of Purdue University was under some major heat after referring to Black scholars as “creatures.” After being called out, he’s now claiming that he was “misunderstood” and the statement was over-sensationalized.

The backlash against Daniels was swift, including an #IAmNotACreature Twitter campaign. Berry later responded to the incident, writing on social media, “I am disappointed but not at all surprised by his reference – in front of a group of mostly black, minority students – to black students as creatures. It afflicts me that this is how he speaks even when ‘boasting’ on students.”

“I’m saying what hundreds of people have said,” Daniels said. Daniels went on to tell Journal & Courier, “I’ve never felt so misunderstood before.”

Faculty on the University Senate’s Equity and Diversity Committee also slammed Daniels saying in a statement that “the idea that there is a scarcity of leading African American scholars is simply not true.” The committee called for training for university personnel to better understand the history behind Daniels’ statement and why it was problematic.

“To all Purdue students who have experienced persistent dehumanizing comments in their lives, we want you to know that we acknowledge your frustration and support you,” said the faculty committee’s statement.

“Regardless of intent, referring to people of color as anything less than human is tied to our country’s history of oppression and discrimination. We do believe that … this was a mistake. However, it is the type of mistake that can be avoided with training to increase one’s understanding of the concepts of privilege and power dynamics.”

https://newsone.com/3894916/purdue-p...ars-creatures/
grKiro
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
interesting
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Looks like a very poor choice of words rather than racist intent.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
The president of Purdue University was under some major heat after referring to Black scholars as “creatures.” After being called out, he’s now claiming that he was “misunderstood” and the statement was over-sensationalized.

The backlash against Daniels was swift, including an #IAmNotACreature Twitter campaign. Berry later responded to the incident, writing on social media, “I am disappointed but not at all surprised by his reference – in front of a group of mostly black, minority students – to black students as creatures. It afflicts me that this is how he speaks even when ‘boasting’ on students.”

“I’m saying what hundreds of people have said,” Daniels said. Daniels went on to tell Journal & Courier, “I’ve never felt so misunderstood before.”

Faculty on the University Senate’s Equity and Diversity Committee also slammed Daniels saying in a statement that “the idea that there is a scarcity of leading African American scholars is simply not true.” The committee called for training for university personnel to better understand the history behind Daniels’ statement and why it was problematic.

“To all Purdue students who have experienced persistent dehumanizing comments in their lives, we want you to know that we acknowledge your frustration and support you,” said the faculty committee’s statement.

“Regardless of intent, referring to people of color as anything less than human is tied to our country’s history of oppression and discrimination. We do believe that … this was a mistake. However, it is the type of mistake that can be avoided with training to increase one’s understanding of the concepts of privilege and power dynamics.”

https://newsone.com/3894916/purdue-p...ars-creatures/
Perhaps he should ask forgiveness and then he and his detractors can all sing a hymn together; perhaps:-

“All Creatures of our God and King”
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
“At the end of this week, I’ll be recruiting one of the rarest creatures in America – a leading, I mean a really leading, African-American scholar,” Daniels said.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
IdentityPenguin's stream of nonsense continues.

Fot the record, I am a creature, as is every TSR member. I rejoice to be a creature; I would hate to be a chair leg.
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
IdentityPenguin's stream of nonsense continues.

Fot the record, I am a creature, as is every TSR member. I rejoice to be a creature; I would hate to be a chair leg.
Mind you, when I refer to people as 'creatures' it is normally in a pejorative sense. Of course this guy wasn't on the same tack but it serves him right because he's posing as yet another drum on people's skin colour, thinking he looks good that way, and it comes back to bite him. These people who make Race such a thing end up sometimes falling on their own sword and it's always fun to watch.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is not racist! "Rare creature" is a common phrase used to describe something uncommon.

What is clear from other threads is that the OP is racist and I don't know how they haven't been banned yet.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Mind you, when I refer to people as 'creatures' it is normally in a pejorative sense.
The coin has two sides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=5BAjPXyiOuw

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/lovely-creature/

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/po...creature-eyes/
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Apart from the long history of black people being denigrated by being compared to (and treated as in chattel slavery) animals, which makes the comment at best in extremely poor taste, he also in the specific context refers to a "leading" African-American scholar as "the rarest" of things, which is patently racist in the underlying assumption that most African-American people aren't able to be leading scholars. So yes, it is both implicitly and explicitly racist, particularly given the race politics of the US, which are in many ways different to the UK. That the head of a leading US university would make such an ignorant and racist comment is in of itself staggering.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
the underlying assumption that most African-American people aren't able to be leading scholars.
You have difficulty understanding the difference between "are" and "are not able to be" then?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
You have difficulty understanding the difference between "are" and "are not able to be" then?
Read the article and quote before isolating a comment I made from the context under discussion - since I'm not a primary school teacher I'm not going to cut out and highlight the relevant sections for you.

Also since you aren't American and will have no experience of US race politics it's amusing to see you telling me, an American born in the deep south, about how race is viewed in the US in order to push your agenda of asserting racism no longer exists (a racist act in of itself).
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Read the article and quote before isolating a comment I made from the context under discussion - since I'm not a primary school teacher I'm not going to cut out and highlight the relevant sections for you.

Also since you aren't American and will have no experience of US race politics it's amusing to see you telling me, an American born in the deep south, about how race is viewed in the US in order to push your agenda of asserting racism no longer exists (a racist act in of itself).
Are you aware of the full context or just the part where he said "rare creatures"?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I have no such agenda. I have read the article and his words were:

I’ll be recruiting one of the rarest creatures in America – a leading, I mean a really leading, African-American scholar

He is saying that leading black scholars are extremely rare, and that he will be recruiting one. He is not saying they are deservedly rare. He is not saying they do not have the ability. He is simply reflecting reality. They are rare.

Of course, if there is no room in your bubble for knowledge of reality then so be it.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Looks like a very poor choice of words rather than racist intent.
Really? How would you decide this so fast? Racist intent is proven by doing exactly what? So a professor using the word" "creatures" is just" a very poor choice of words". ?? lol.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Indeed! Racism just does not exist in the eyes of most tsr posters. There has to be another reason for example, for Jim Crow laws! It cant be racism- just really poor behaviour or the economic class of the people involved. lol.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mgi)
Really? How would you decide this so fast? Racist intent is proven by doing exactly what? So a professor using the word" "creatures" is just" a very poor choice of words". ?? lol.
"The rarest of creatures" that to me seems like a term of endearment rather than one of racist intent.

Why would a racist employ a black professor and boast about it?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Are you aware of the full context or just the part where he said "rare creatures"?
He referred to a leading African-American scholar as being the "rarest of creatures", which a) as stated is a problematic comparison of black people to animals for historical reasons, and b) as stated again, suggests in his eyes an African-American person being a leading scholar is a rarity in of itself. Given the long history of slavery both in the US and globally, the enduring structural violence and systemic barriers to success this has posed, this is clearly unacceptable. Moreover in more recent history (20th and 21st century) and contemporary treatment of black people in America specifically it is a blatant racist act.

Some examples of the above include but are not not limited to extrajudicial killings by the police force (widely reported on, some examples include Sandra Bland, Eric Garner and Freddie Gray, among many others), experimentation without consent by medical professionals (the Tuskegee experiments which continued into the 70s, Henrietta Lacks, etc), mass incarceration and disproportionate sentencing of black people compared to white people, "stop and frisk" type policies which disproportionately target black people, segregation - which was not a thing of the past either. Ruby Bridges, the first black student to attend a white school, is only 65 now. She's still alive, she's not that old. Even more recently part of the subprime mortgage crisis in the US was driven specifically by predatory lending to black families and individuals. Donald Trump's father settled a lawsuit out of court, where he was being sued for his properties refusing to rent or sell to black people and he was in effect attempting to redline his communities. There is of course also the widespread police brutality outside of extrajudicial killings, and it's worth noting the Ferguson protests occurring in response to this were in the state next to Indiana (where Purdue is located).

Do not suggest to me I am not aware of the context of US race politics. Offering a scholarship for black students then telling those who may win it that they are an exception at minimum plays into the "model minority" stereotype, which is a harmful racist stereotype in of itself. The comparison of them to animals, even if unintentional, speaks to a deep lack of understanding or indeed care of the potential for harmful racial stereotypes which the head of a leading university, as noted, should be much more sensitive to, even here - and certainly in the midwest US.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He referred to a leading African-American scholar as being the "rarest of creatures", which a) as stated is a problematic comparison of black people to animals for historical reasons, and b) as stated again, suggests in his eyes an African-American person being a leading scholar is a rarity in of itself. Given the long history of slavery both in the US and globally, the enduring structural violence and systemic barriers to success this has posed, this is clearly unacceptable. Moreover in more recent history (20th and 21st century) and contemporary treatment of black people in America specifically it is a blatant racist act.

Some examples of the above include but are not not limited to extrajudicial killings by the police force (widely reported on, some examples include Sandra Bland, Eric Garner and Freddie Gray, among many others), experimentation without consent by medical professionals (the Tuskegee experiments which continued into the 70s, Henrietta Lacks, etc), mass incarceration and disproportionate sentencing of black people compared to white people, "stop and frisk" type policies which disproportionately target black people, segregation - which was not a thing of the past either. Ruby Bridges, the first black student to attend a white school, is only 65 now. She's still alive, she's not that old. Even more recently part of the subprime mortgage crisis in the US was driven specifically by predatory lending to black families and individuals. Donald Trump's father settled a lawsuit out of court, where he was being sued for his properties refusing to rent or sell to black people and he was in effect attempting to redline his communities. There is of course also the widespread police brutality outside of extrajudicial killings, and it's worth noting the Ferguson protests occurring in response to this were in the state next to Indiana (where Purdue is located).

Do not suggest to me I am not aware of the context of US race politics. Offering a scholarship for black students then telling those who may win it that they are an exception at minimum plays into the "model minority" stereotype, which is a harmful racist stereotype in of itself. The comparison of them to animals, even if unintentional, speaks to a deep lack of understanding or indeed care of the potential for harmful racial stereotypes which the head of a leading university, as noted, should be much more sensitive to, even here - and certainly in the midwest US.
I meant the context of his speech, not the context of US race politics. Let's say I was talking to a friend at work and I said this,

"Do you notice how CEOs are always white males? We really need more diversity at the top. Yesterday I saw that rarest of creatures, a black man in a top level management position."

Would I be racist if I said this?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank goodness we are not in the USA if black people there pursue a corrosive vendetta against white people based on perfectly ordinary and innocent word usage, all the while using language that they seek to ban whites from using at all. It is barmy. Let us hope it does not travel the Atlantic to any significance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (358)
45.78%
No (84)
10.74%
I'm not old enough (340)
43.48%

Watched Threads