Stop telling me to vote. Watch

DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tacobeth)
because it’s so important that you vote, you’d be surprised how many young people are of age yet don’t use their vote. it’s because of them that we got stuck with the tories in power for so long
Then you vote for a party that promised one thing and then did the exact opposite.

squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
That is absolute bull****, you don't lose rights for not voting.
You are being so ignorant. If I didn't vote I can't say to Boris Johnson..... But you promised 50000 nurses. He would say ....Did you vote for me do that. I would then say no I didn't vote because I am ignorant. He would rightly say .... well sod you then.
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
You are being so ignorant. If I didn't vote I can't say to Boris Johnson..... But you promised 50000 nurses. He would say ....Did you vote for me do that. I would then say no I didn't vote because I am ignorant. He would rightly say .... well sod you then.
You are being ridiculous, one can still hold politicians and parties to account for the promises they make regardless of whether you voted for them or not.

Furthermore we do not vote for PMs, we vote for our local MP and party. By your logic you can only criticise Johnson if you live in Uxbridge and South Ruislip. Does that make any reasonable sense?
username5049966
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't vote you lose the right to criticise the government or the opposition. Men lost their lives so you could vote
A) That's nonsense.
B) Did they? The right to vote was enshrined before both world wars occurred if that's what you're referring to.
username5049966
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
It’s still a form of protest and you’ll be added to the statistic of those who spoiled their ballots. If more and more people voice their opinions this way, then it effectively sends the message “I don’t agree with any of you” and could spark a change.
A million people protested against going to war in Iraq. We still went.Thousands have been protesting climate change for months now. Yet at this rate we're on course to miss all targets by a long way. Its naive to think that spoiling your ballot or protesting or even voting really changes anything.
username5049966
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Doodlegame)
Besides repeating what everyone else has said, politics isn't just who's on the news in parliament, politics is the tax you pay, the bins that are collected, the roads being maintained, funding in schools, the prices of food......

Politics is everything arround you, not voting if you have the chance is extremely ignorant
Unless you live in a marginal constituency it won't make a difference. My current MP is labour and he's been MP for about thirty years. I looked and everytime he wins by about 20000 votes. Unless I convince 20,000 people to change their minds then me voting tory won't make the slightest difference. Its going to be Labour who get in here whatever happens. Its guaranteed. Which means my vote doesn't matter. I have no real choice in the matter because the vote is a foregone conclusion. Even if it did count there is nothing to stop politicians reneging on their promises. They can promise the moon if they want but they're not legally bound by those pledges. Which means they can say anything.
holly6901
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
voting is critical to have a say
if you don't like it ignore it it'll stop tonight anyway
Franhenderson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, considering that a significant amount of young people didn’t vote in the last election, it’s important to spread the word so that people do vote. It’s pretty undemocratic not to vote, and people are merely reminding people that they need to participate

(Original post by Anonymous)
This is so annoying. Like I know I have to vote, I am not a child. I just find it so annoying how everyone is virtue signaling on social media right now, people who don't know a thing about politics, all posting "vote this vote that". SHUT THE **** UP. NO ONE CARES HOW 'WOKE' YOU ARE.

kthanksbye xoxoxoxoxoxox
iFlops
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is so annoying. Like I know I have to vote, I am not a child. I just find it so annoying how everyone is virtue signaling on social media right now, people who don't know a thing about politics, all posting "vote this vote that". SHUT THE **** UP. NO ONE CARES HOW 'WOKE' YOU ARE.

kthanksbye xoxoxoxoxoxox
They're saying this to the people who haven't voted yet - it's an important right to exercise and effects their future deeply. It's obviously not directed at someone like you, stop making a big deal out of nothing pff
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This happens every time a general election comes up, I don't know how you haven't gotten used to this yet.
Franhenderson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So what’s your alternative? We just sit back in autocracy and complain as one group makes the decisions? That’s a very pessimistic outlook, and if you look at the manifestos at least politicians are listening to the demand for climate change friendly acts. Debates about the morality of going into Iraq have created a larger conservation about imperialistic foreign policy, and Blair is viewed by history not as a good character. Vote, please, if you fall into political apathy you’ll never get what you want

(Original post by RJ7781)
A million people protested against going to war in Iraq. We still went.Thousands have been protesting climate change for months now. Yet at this rate we're on course to miss all targets by a long way. Its naive to think that spoiling your ballot or protesting or even voting really changes anything.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get you. I've been voting since I turned 18 in 2010. The constant 'register to vote!' stuff all over social media is a pain.
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't particularly care which way people vote, just vote!

Depending how far away your polling station is, it's a couple minutes out of your way which will make the way the country is run that little bit more representative.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't vote you lose the right to criticise the government or the opposition. Men lost their lives so you could vote
Can't believe such a stupid post has 9 reps as I write this. Firstly, many of us don't vote because we believe it doesn't matter which party gets in, they're going to continue to screw up the country and will find criticisms towards any party that gets in. That's our right. Secondly, the people that lost their lives lost them so we have a choice to vote. Some of us choose not to.
Franhenderson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is clear evidence of why people need to vote! If you want to change the first past the post voting system, the only way to get a more representative system is to vote for a more progressive government
(Original post by RJ7781)
Unless you live in a marginal constituency it won't make a difference. My current MP is labour and he's been MP for about thirty years. I looked and everytime he wins by about 20000 votes. Unless I convince 20,000 people to change their minds then me voting tory won't make the slightest difference. Its going to be Labour who get in here whatever happens. Its guaranteed. Which means my vote doesn't matter. I have no real choice in the matter because the vote is a foregone conclusion. Even if it did count there is nothing to stop politicians reneging on their promises. They can promise the moon if they want but they're not legally bound by those pledges. Which means they can say anything.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Can't believe such a stupid post has 9 reps as I write this. Firstly, many of us don't vote because we believe it doesn't matter which party gets in, they're going to continue to screw up the country and will find criticisms towards any party that gets in. That's our right. Secondly, the people that lost their lives lost them so we have a choice to vote. Some of us choose not to.
Yes you have a choice to vote. So spoil your ballot paper.

There are many countries in the world where elections are so rigged that there is little point in voting. Thinking Zimbabwe in particular. Many countries where women are not allowed to vote. You are fortunate to live in a country where your vote does count.

I was lucky enough to be living in South Africa when the first democratic elections took place. It was a wonderful thing to watch. It was carefully monitored and turnout was nearly 90%.

You have that right. Don't diss it.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

kthanksbye xoxoxoxoxoxox
And yet you don't know that voting is compulsory?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Franhenderson)
This is clear evidence of why people need to vote! If you want to change the first past the post voting system, the only way to get a more representative system is to vote for a more progressive government
Except what government would willingly kick away the ladder that put them into office?
landscape2014
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Except what government would willingly kick away the ladder that put them into office?
Which is why a large cross across the entire voting slip by millions of voters is required to show active discontent with the election system and remove any claim to legitimacy as actual representatives of the polity the bit players in our expensive election pantomime may claim.
landscape2014
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 20 hours ago
A vote for any party in the present anti-democratic election procedure is an acknowledgement of contentment with a rigged system, genuine representative democracy is not, and never has been, on the political agenda, that is unless a majority of the polity actually believe that by supporting an entrenched political establishment it can be changed; the continuing support of the polity for FPTP will only encourage politicians not to change their behaviour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (44)
33.08%
No I don't (62)
46.62%
I work during the holidays (27)
20.3%

Watched Threads