xxadxx_12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
So I'm prepping for my LNAT exam which is in around a week but I'm really struggling with the multiple choice. Does anyone have some advice on how I can improve my score (which is a 15 right now) to at least a 25.
xxadxx_12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Should people accused of a criminal offence retain anonymity?
There are two main thoughts regarding criminals right to retain anonymity. Anonymity essentially ensures that in legal proceedings the press or the public cannot name certain individuals. One is that there are more and more reports that criminals deserve protection from inhuman and degrading treatment by the society. The second is that there seems to be so many child criminals who deserve protection according to the Human rights law.
Let’s begin with the claim that criminals under the age of 18 deserve to retain anonymity. The argument is that they deserve anonymity to reduce re-offending rates. The law already agrees to protect children under the age of 18 due to their physical and mental immaturity but what happens once they turn 18? Does all the protection fade away? Newspapers have the right to report their name which beats the idea of anonymity. If they lose anonymity, it will prevent them from being able to move on and live a ‘normal life’. The years spent rehabilitating the children will have been for nothing. Their future will fall apart with a mere mention on the front page due to the stigmatization that follows. Is it really fair to make their identity synonymous with these allegations?
However, there are several counter-arguments to the thought of a child criminal deserving anonymity. Whether they are a child or not, they committed the crime knowing fully what they were about to do was wrong. Their identification gives a sort of dignity to their victim and their family, which they deserve.
Furthermore, all named criminals suffer an additional punishment because of society's treatment and perception of the crime. Do criminals not deserve the same protection from inhuman and degrading treatment? They are already suffering from the consequences of their actions, so what right does it give society to decide they need to be punished more? The judges word should be law and the people should not take justice into their own hands. There have been several incidents of riots at a sex offenders home once their identity was leaked to the public. Not just one or two people but thousands. A criminal’s family suffers abuse and torment at the hands of society. What have they done to deserve the inhuman treatment but be related to the offender? They cannot choose who their blood is as much as we cannot either. It is not just for the innocent family, but the sanity and well being of an offender that they deserve to retain criminal anonymity. It is only fair.
Conversely, do the public not have a right to know about the serious criminal offenders in the country? Should they not at least be aware that their neighbour, school teacher or best friend has committed a criminal offence? Going into a house to rob a family, or shooting a gun to gain their possessions has no excuse. They knew what they were doing was an offence and it is only fair that they pay the price for their sin. They ruined their own future, the media is not responsible for what happens upon release on inside the prison cells.
Criminal anonymity matters because it serves offenders with the rights humans deserve. As a legal system, there is a right to keep up with the human rights law and prevent society serving their definition of justice which could be life-threatening and adverse to the innocent family suffering from the consequences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads