Faves_26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I have to sit in my paper 2 computer science mock tomorrow and I’m not scared but worried that the past papers I’m going though won’t help me.
Here’s the deal:
I don’t know anything for paper two and if I do know it’s very little, so I printed out loads of papers and mark schemes and will write the answers in - this helped me for some of my other subjects like chemistry, physics, ep, music and paper one computer science last 2 years.
But this is paper two and I never cared then, now I do and I know nothing! I don’t know how to revise.
So I’m I doing right?!
I know that I’m going to try my best to understand the questions and concepts and I’ve also done the same for the practice questions in my workbook. But I’m I doing the right thing?!? Help!!!
Fufa9911
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there,
doing past papers and marking them is the best way to revise
It just is. It's the fastest way to see what you know and what you don't know and to get used to the style of questions that will be asked in the real exam. So yes you are absolutely doing the right thing by doing some past papers and marking them( taking a brief look at some of the most important ideas when marking it to help you understand the questions won't hurt).

Good luck, stay calm, you can do it and remember these are only mock exams and you have plenty of time until the real exams to get the grades you want
Another tip is that you don't really have to print out markschemes, just look at them online on the exam board website and mark using your phone.
👍😊
Last edited by Fufa9911; 1 month ago
Faves_26
Rep:
?
Oh ok ! Phew! Thank you so much! It’s just that I didn’t actually do the questions. I only wrote the answers in - is it the same thing as exam practice?!? I’m sorry if this is a dumb question
Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Faves_26)
Hi! I have to sit in my paper 2 computer science mock tomorrow and I’m not scared but worried that the past papers I’m going though won’t help me.
Here’s the deal:
I don’t know anything for paper two and if I do know it’s very little, so I printed out loads of papers and mark schemes and will write the answers in - this helped me for some of my other subjects like chemistry, physics, ep, music and paper one computer science last 2 years.
But this is paper two and I never cared then, now I do and I know nothing! I don’t know how to revise.
So I’m I doing right?!
I know that I’m going to try my best to understand the questions and concepts and I’ve also done the same for the practice questions in my workbook. But I’m I doing the right thing?!? Help!!!
If you think you failed mocks you probably have tbh.
Faves_26
Rep:
?
Lol thanks that made me laugh
Fufa9911
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No such thing as a dumb question,

Writing the answers in will help you to memorise the correct answers. But I would say it is much, much ,much better to first do the exam papers without the mark scheme, just purely using what you remember, then once you have answered all of the questions go back and mark it using the mark scheme and look in the textbook to help you with questions you don't understand.

That way you can see what you remember and what you don't remember, and you can focus on learning the stuff you have forgotten instead of just going over stuff you already know. And you'll be memorising the correct answers.

Good luck 😊
Last edited by Fufa9911; 1 month ago
Faves_26
Rep:
?
Thank you that’s just what I needed! I’m defo doing this ! Thank you so much! Ok that’s fine - I’m happy now and whoo! Yay- I’ll finish the paper and do the other ones I have and then mark them. Thanks so much!
Faves_26
Rep:
?
I failed....
Fufa9911
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Faves_26)
I failed....
Have you gotten your marked test back and taken a look? You might not have gotten the mark you wanted, but you still have plenty of time to get it up to where you want it to be.
First things first, don't be discouraged, you are intelligent, hardworking and you can do this. This is just a minor setback, but in the grand scheme of things it's just another opportunity for you to see where to improve and where you are already doing well.
Faves_26
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. I think I got 31/80 and 35/80 and all together I think that was a grade 3 or high two or low grade four. I don’t really know. Tbh. But I was happy when I teacher said I improved and gained 20 more marks than my last mock and then I got disappointed when I checked online and saw that I might have gotten a grade 3 and was a few marks away from a grade four. I was so sad.
Thank you so much. For calling me intelligent and hardworking. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much!
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Certainly better than half of my old Comp sci class :P The best thing you can do now is focus on what you didn't answer correctly and tailor your revision accordingly. It's clear you care and taking action is already half the battle; you will certainly make an even bigger improvement on your next mock. Best of luck, and let me know if you need any help (particularly for paper 2). You've got this- don't be disheartened. There's still plenty of time to improve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (154)
51.85%
No (143)
48.15%

Watched Threads