If you walked into an Indian restaurant that claimed to be authentic.. Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
But was owned and ran by British white people would this put you off? Same question if you walked into a fish and chip shop that said it is traditional fish and chips but everyone in there was from pakistan would you be put off?

Note this question is nothing to do with race more to do with expectations. Interested in what you think. Also this isn’t based on a real situation its just me and my creative mind going HAM.
IH8Studying
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i would find it odd
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
But was owned and ran by British white people would this put you off? Same question if you walked into a fish and chip shop that said it is traditional fish and chips but everyone in there was from pakistan would you be put off?

Note this question is nothing to do with race more to do with expectations. Interested in what you think. Also this isn’t based on a real situation its just me and my creative mind going HAM.
No
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As long as the food is ok I couldn’t give a **** tbh.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My (white, English) wife cooks some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, because I’m an an awkward bean so I spend as little time as I can speaking to waiting staff. So I don’t recognise their skin colour. 😂
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
My (white, English) wife cooks some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten.
Your wife Indian?
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No authenticity of food is not based on the ethnicity of the chef, it is the recipe that matters.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your wife Indian?
What did I write?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Best chippy by me Nan's used to be ran by Greek Cypriots
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The chef's ethnicity won't play a part in their cuisine being authentic. There really isn't any criteria as to what determines a dish to be authentic. Whenever people claim a certain food isn't authentic, what they mean is that it isn't a true copy of their expectations (based on a dish they've tried elsewhere within its country of origin, which also varies greatly within its own country... so there really is no true authenticity to it). One of the big constraints for majority of exotic cuisine is that, if it is expensive, it cannot be authentic, as in their place of origin food is much more cheaper and its harder to procure the ingredients found in their countries of origin.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What did I write?
Sorry read it wrong, tbh you probably consider salt on chicken to be a curry anyway.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
The chef's ethnicity won't play a part in their cuisine being authentic. There really isn't any criteria as to what determines a dish to be authentic. Whenever people claim a certain food isn't authentic, what they mean is that it isn't a true copy of their expectations (based on a dish they've tried elsewhere within its country of origin, which also varies greatly within its own country... so there really is no true authenticity to it). One of the big constraints for majority of exotic cuisine is that, if it is expensive, it cannot be authentic, as in their place of origin food is much more cheaper and its harder to procure the ingredients found in their countries of origin.
So your saying it would not cast any doubt on your mind in the scenario above?
-SilentTorture-
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

NAh, there are many Pakistani and British people where i live that run shops like that and they're just fine. In fact you could say they taste quite the same to any original.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry read it wrong, tbh you probably consider salt on chicken to be a curry anyway.
Oh, you can read!

One sideline I have is mystery dining, i.e. going to restaurants to check the food and service. So I think I have a reasonable palate.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by -SilentTorture-)
NAh, there are many Pakistani and British people where i live that run shops like that and they're just fine. In fact you could say they taste quite the same to any original.
When you say “British” are you saying white? There are Indian restaurants that are owned by British whites? Never heard of this tbh it was a make believe scenario but interested in knowing of any.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What did I write?
:laugh:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh, you can read!

One sideline I have is mystery dining, i.e. going to restaurants to check the food and service. So I think I have a reasonable palate.
:gasp: I'd love to do this. It's my idea of heaven.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No.
My favourite fish&chip shop is run by a family that emigrated to england from sri lanka.
My favourite italian restaurant has persian owners.

It is the recipes, ingredients, menu and style of service that determines cuisine authenticity.
Not the nationality of the chef or staff.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I doubt we’d find any Indian restaurant anywhere in England serving authentic Indian food.
What they serve is specifically catered to a British palate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (72)
32.73%
No I don't (104)
47.27%
I work during the holidays (44)
20%

Watched Threads