Mariamj1122
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey I'm in year 11, and I was wondering how challenging drama a level is? I do it at gcse but I just wanted to know if the jump is huge and how to prepare myself
username5052014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi! I’m year 12 and my exam board for Drama is AQA. In all honesty, I didn’t feel a jump at all. Every lesson we usually start with a warm up activity, but they’re a lot more unique than GCSE because we used to always play SPLAT last year haha! If you do the AQA course, then the first half term consists of learning about different practitioners with one of your teachers, but in my case the lessons were always practical and the theory work was usually set as homework (researching what inspired them to create their type of theatre, their upbringing, techniques that we can apply to our devised pieces, etc.) So, as you can probably tell the first 7/8 weeks are pretty laid back, you just get to know everyone and it’s usually spend creating a completely new piece of theatre every lessons that’s usually 5 mins long. Then in the run up to Christmas, you should start reading the play text. In year 11, my class studied Blood Brothers, but now we’re doing The Glass Menagerie. We read through it as a class over 4-5 lessons and now we get to act out random scenes and then our teacher explains the context along the way which is fun! With our other teacher, we spent the first half term just learning breathing techniques, key terminology and a lot relating to mime, but once again it was heavily practical based. Now we’re onto our first performance piece, where you’re given the choice to perform it as a monologue, duologue or group (our performance is in less than 3 weeks, wish me luck haha!) A drama workshop also came into our theatre yesterday and performed Dr Faustus which was really fun! So to sum it all up, you start by learning about practitioners then the play text with one teacher, then general techniques and your first extract with another (unless it’s just one teacher overall) - in year 12, you perform 3 extracts and then pick your favourite at the end of the year to perform in front of a proper examiner!! I hope this helps, the workload isn’t too difficult, it’s manageable as long as you learn your lines frequently and make sure to study different stage spaces!! I moved to a new sixth form and taking drama was a risk for me, but it’s good overall
Mariamj1122
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous-being)
Hi! I’m year 12 and my exam board for Drama is AQA. In all honesty, I didn’t feel a jump at all. Every lesson we usually start with a warm up activity, but they’re a lot more unique than GCSE because we used to always play SPLAT last year haha! If you do the AQA course, then the first half term consists of learning about different practitioners with one of your teachers, but in my case the lessons were always practical and the theory work was usually set as homework (researching what inspired them to create their type of theatre, their upbringing, techniques that we can apply to our devised pieces, etc.) So, as you can probably tell the first 7/8 weeks are pretty laid back, you just get to know everyone and it’s usually spend creating a completely new piece of theatre every lessons that’s usually 5 mins long. Then in the run up to Christmas, you should start reading the play text. In year 11, my class studied Blood Brothers, but now we’re doing The Glass Menagerie. We read through it as a class over 4-5 lessons and now we get to act out random scenes and then our teacher explains the context along the way which is fun! With our other teacher, we spent the first half term just learning breathing techniques, key terminology and a lot relating to mime, but once again it was heavily practical based. Now we’re onto our first performance piece, where you’re given the choice to perform it as a monologue, duologue or group (our performance is in less than 3 weeks, wish me luck haha!) A drama workshop also came into our theatre yesterday and performed Dr Faustus which was really fun! So to sum it all up, you start by learning about practitioners then the play text with one teacher, then general techniques and your first extract with another (unless it’s just one teacher overall) - in year 12, you perform 3 extracts and then pick your favourite at the end of the year to perform in front of a proper examiner!! I hope this helps, the workload isn’t too difficult, it’s manageable as long as you learn your lines frequently and make sure to study different stage spaces!! I moved to a new sixth form and taking drama was a risk for me, but it’s good overall
Thank you, this was so so helpful, and I hope your exam goes well!
username5052014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mariamj1122)
Thank you, this was so so helpful, and I hope your exam goes well!
No worries!! Thank you, if you have any more questions feel free to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (71)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
17.25%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
9.17%
Isolating with family (28)
6.11%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.15%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.3%
Loneliness (44)
9.61%
Financial worries (15)
3.28%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (44)
9.61%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.99%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (46)
10.04%

Watched Threads