iamjacks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, a kind of a pressing question. I'd like to apply for Film and Screen Studies at Cambridge University this year, but I'm not from the UK and I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the two programs they offer: Film and Screen Studies by Advanced study and Film and Screen Studies by thesis. When I examined both pages, the descriptions seemed to be nearly identical. The only difference seemed to be that one was a "research" course and the other "predominantly research," which makes no sense to me. It also appears as if only the "by thesis" applicants will have interviews as a part of the selection process.

Later I've found this: "Master of Advanced Study - This is the equivalent of a fourth undergraduate year." It doesn't exist in my country so I was hoping someone could clear it up for me? Thank you kindly.
Last edited by iamjacks; 1 year ago
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to apply for the next academic year 2020/21 then your too late. Applications closed in October.
iamjacks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
If you want to apply for the next academic year 2020/21 then your too late. Applications closed in October.
I'm not from the US, so they are still open. Any ideas on the answer to my question?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iamjacks)
I'm not from the US, so they are still open. Any ideas on the answer to my question?
Pretty certain that the October deadline applies to everyone regardless of country of application.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....l-applications
iamjacks
Rep:
?
Not an undergrad, friend. Please do not spam the thread with off-topic info, moreover incorrect.
sarahpr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys, a kind of a pressing question. I'd like to apply for Film and Screen Studies at Cambridge University this year, but I'm not from the UK and I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the two programs they offer: Film and Screen Studies by Advanced study and Film and Screen Studies by thesis. When I examined both pages, the descriptions seemed to be nearly identical. The only difference seemed to be that one was a "research" course and the other "predominantly research," which makes no sense to me. It also appears as if only the "by thesis" applicants will have interviews as a part of the selection process.

Later I've found this: "Master of Advanced Study - This is the equivalent of a fourth undergraduate year." It doesn't exist in my country so I was hoping someone could clear it up for me? Thank you kindly.
If you go to the pages for each of the courses and click on the study tab it will give you the course structure for each of them. For the advanced study one you take seminars etc for the first 2 terms and then a dissertation in the third term.
iamjacks
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarahpr)
If you go to the pages for each of the courses and click on the study tab it will give you the course structure for each of them. For the advanced study one you take seminars etc for the first 2 terms and then a dissertation in the third term.
Thank you, I saw it. Do you perhaps know if there is any structural difference in the degree obtained by the two? Both pages say MPhil, but I've noticed that one requires a 'dissertation' (15000 words) and the other 'thesis' (30000 words). It's confusing for me because where I'm from, you write your thesis at the end of your MA studies, and you only write a dissertation when you're completing a PhD.

I just don't want to end up applying for a course bellow the degree level I'll have when I finish my studies this winter (in my country there's 3 years for BA and two years for MA level. I'm currently completing my MA, and writing a thesis of approximately 15000 words.) I'm looking to do one more MA in another discipline.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, I saw it. Do you perhaps know if there is any structural difference in the degree obtained by the two? Both pages say MPhil, but I've noticed that one requires a 'dissertation' (15000 words) and the other 'thesis' (30000 words). It's confusing for me because where I'm from, you write your thesis at the end of your MA studies, and you only write a dissertation when you're completing a PhD.

I just don't want to end up applying for a course bellow the degree level I'll have when I finish my studies this winter (in my country there's 3 years for BA and two years for MA level. I'm currently completing my MA, and writing a thesis of approximately 15000 words.) I'm looking to do one more MA in another discipline.
The standard Cambridge MPhil has lectures for the first 2 terms and then you do a dissertation, typically 15,000 words in the third term and part of the summer. Some departments run an MPhil with no taught element, just a research piece, usually therefore longer ie 30,000 words. Generally, you won't get on the second of those options unless you can demonstrate very strong research skills and experience and mastery of the subject. It's more often an option for those with careers in the field who want to do what is effectively a mini PhD.

In Cambridge, and the UK more generally, although people use the words interchangeably and incorrectly, a dissertation is done for a Masters, a thesis for a PhD.
iamjacks
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
The standard Cambridge MPhil has lectures for the first 2 terms and then you do a dissertation, typically 15,000 words in the third term and part of the summer. Some departments run an MPhil with no taught element, just a research piece, usually therefore longer ie 30,000 words. Generally, you won't get on the second of those options unless you can demonstrate very strong research skills and experience and mastery of the subject. It's more often an option for those with careers in the field who want to do what is effectively a mini PhD.

In Cambridge, and the UK more generally, although people use the words interchangeably and incorrectly, a dissertation is done for a Masters, a thesis for a PhD.
Thank you so much for this, you've made my life a lot easier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
31.68%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.71%

Watched Threads