username4933904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone understand why serum [urea] rises in acute pancreatitis? Is it simply because of dehydration associated with fluid release? Or is it increased proteolysis?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

A rise in serum urea is not a hallmark finding in acute pancreatitis as such (in which, of course, pancreatic amylase and lipase levels can be 3 times normal, hypocalcaemia occurs, and LFTs can be abnormal (hyperbilirubinaemia, and elevated alkaline phosphatase and AST levels)); however, organ failure can be a complication and is a negative prognostic factor, and, of course, if renal failure occurs, serum urea (as well as creatinine) will be high.

Although in theory, proteolysis might lead to increased production of urea via the ornithine-arginine cycle, I am not sure this would be severe enough to result in raised serum levels in the presence of normal renal function.

Hope this helps.
M
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Never heard of this as a specific association.

Of course it might happen if the patients develops renal failure as a secondary consequence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (175)
44.3%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.01%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed