The Jeremy Corbyn interview Watch

Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
Indeed. Because that is the norm for people on zero hours contracts.
Also, ZHC is not the same thing as being a freelancer or consultant.
I know the difference. I used the correct term.
Butler7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoSKFgPNDBE <<< this is how i feel lol
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DSilva)
Only if you move sharply to the right.
Yes, but then you can move back to the left incrementally, taking the media with you.

Get power first, and then you can legislate/regulate etc, to make sure that things move in the dirrection you want.. its much slower and less satisfying than Labours current method, but it is far more realistic. For example gain power by actually being electable (to the right of corbyn), then with your power, push tighter regulations around the media and how they interfer with elections.. then the next one after, you will be able to push a bit further to the left without them being able to interfer as much etc.
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Yes, but then you can move back to the left incrementally, taking the media with you.

Get power first, and then you can legislate/regulate etc, to make sure that things move in the dirrection you want.. its much slower and less satisfying than Labours current method, but it is far more realistic. For example gain power by actually being electable (to the right of corbyn), then with your power, push tighter regulations around the media and how they interfer with elections.. then the next one after, you will be able to push a bit further to the left without them being able to interfer as much etc.
But then they'd just turn on you like they did with Brown. I don't necessarily think a Labour leader needs to be as left wing as Corbyn, but they should at least be centre left. Otherwise what's the point? The media will destroy any Labour leader who is to tht left of Blair, even a mild social democrat like Miliband was portrayed (successfully) as Stalin.

Our media, except channel 4 and the Mirror, has basically become the propaganda wing of the Tory Party. Even the BBC who I usually like have been acting as their activists. I mean yesterday rather than ask Johnson about the NHS, they asked him about scones...
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I haven't claimed a trend.
So why bring her up in an attempt to claim that ZHCs are not a bad thing?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I know the difference. I used the correct term.
What does she do, and what are the terms of her contract?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
So why bring her up in an attempt to claim that ZHCs are not a bad thing?
To show that zero hours contracts are not necessarily oppressive or unpopular with those who hold them. She is a doctor.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
Most people on ZHCs cannot pick and choose when they work. It's ridiculous to claim a trend on the basis of outlier data, while ignoring the majority.
And yet the reality is the vast majority are satisfied with the arrangements; 72% stating they have sufficient hours and those on ZHCs working an average of 25 hours per week. The figures are also improving as the labour market tightens, no longer is there a ready supply of new labour so part time jobs are being made full time (in the three months to September 168,000 part time jobs were lost, but 106,000 full time jobs created) and those on ZHCs are being given the opportunity to move to regular work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (85)
13.34%
1 (86)
13.5%
2 (83)
13.03%
19.31%
21.98%
18.84%

Watched Threads