when do i need to get serious about sixth form?

Watch
aeneas_son
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so im not here to play around- im aiming for 4 a*s, as unrealistic as that sounds, but i know that if i put my mind to it i would be capable. but i feel like a bit of a robot just sitting at home and studying.

at gcses i thought that i needed to sell my bloody soul to get the grades i wanted, and when it got to the actual exam season i certainly didnt regret that i prepared myself so much, but i did regret how much i had my head shoved in books for most of my secondary school years when most of that actually contributed to anything.

i know sixth form is a completely different cup of tea, but i dont want to regret that i wasted too much time studying again. so can anyone tell me when i should really (i mean really) start ploughing everything down for a levels, and still have a chance at getting the grades i want? im in y12 by the way- when it comes to y13 im not even going to look outside my window lmao
Zarin_176
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I’m in yr 12 as well. As long as your making notes along the way, flash cards, mindmaps. Your fine. But make sure you go through them frequently and not wait till it’s exam times. I’m my sixth form we have a exam in JAN. So I’m starting to revise now. I would say start revising 5 to 6 months before exams.
James_1337
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I am honest, don't just shut yourself away in year 13. I'm in year 13 now and aiming for the same grades as you, but my advice is to start revising now at around 50% and carry this through the 2 years. Focus on the quality of your revision, not just the quantity (use active recall techniques, exam questions, etc) . Many people get burnt out by the end of A-Levels, especially considering you still have to do UCAS, CVs (if you're not going to uni), and interviews on top of your A-Levels. Ensuring you don't burn out or getget overstres with so much content to learn is the key. Make sure you keep up all your hobbies and try and do around an hour of quality revision every day and you'll be fine. Good luck!
Solent University, Southampton
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aeneas_son)
so im not here to play around- im aiming for 4 a*s, as unrealistic as that sounds, but i know that if i put my mind to it i would be capable. but i feel like a bit of a robot just sitting at home and studying.

at gcses i thought that i needed to sell my bloody soul to get the grades i wanted, and when it got to the actual exam season i certainly didnt regret that i prepared myself so much, but i did regret how much i had my head shoved in books for most of my secondary school years when most of that actually contributed to anything.

i know sixth form is a completely different cup of tea, but i dont want to regret that i wasted too much time studying again. so can anyone tell me when i should really (i mean really) start ploughing everything down for a levels, and still have a chance at getting the grades i want? im in y12 by the way- when it comes to y13 im not even going to look outside my window lmao
Hi aeneas_son,

It's great to hear you are so committed to your education. The answer to your question is only really one you can answer yourself, but I will try my best to help you get to that answer.

It is certainly worth getting a head start whenever you can. Perhaps at this stage set yourself times or days in which you revise and work, and then set some days aside to give yourself some time off. A routine like this may help feel like you are progressing, but it will help make sure you don't miss out on your sixth form experience.

Don't pile too much pressure on yourself, make sure you enjoy your experience while you can. There will be plenty of time for you to revise and 'cram', just fit it in when you can for now.

I hope this helps,

Izzy
iFlops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Loads of people say this, and I agree with them; a levels are so much harder and take so much more time than gcses. I think from hindsight gcses were pretty easy in comparison to a levels (I haven't done my a levels yet, just from experience so far). There is a reason teachers drill this into year 12s from the get-go. But that's not to say you have to keep your head shoved in a book - your hard work from gcses will pay off for a levels too - they help to lay the foundations of the courses (not for ALL subjects - maths and physics for me though). Also, we, as year 12s, get the opportunity to do EPQ and Gold DofE, so there is expected time we should spend on other things.
I'd say do the recommended amount of time for revision (30 hrs a week) and if you're struggling, ask your teachers, revise more, etc... but don't feel the need to study all the time... it'll almost definitely cause burn out, especially going into yr 13.
eda_sah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You will regret not starting to revise earlier. Trust meeeee. Especially if you're aiming that high. The earlier the better. Even if it's a really small amount of revision time, it would help. Year 12 is easier than year 13 but it's still very important. If you start now, you'd get to revise less for year 12 context when you're in year 13. But defo have fun too. Education is important. But make sure you have a good time too. In my opinion don't start 'hardcore' revision right now. Begin your making revision notes rn and take your time increasing the amount of revision u do gradually. (again just my opinion. idk) Hope you get the grades you want
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thank you all so much!! i think this whole thread pushed me to approach revision in a different way- ive been looking at it as a bit of a chore right now, especially considering that a lot of the topics im studying arent the most 'juicy'. but im going to try find enjoyment in what im doing, and also learn how to manage my time so i dont regret it later. thank you again, and best wishes for anyone in the same position as me!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.64%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.55%
I need help with my personal statement (82)
41.41%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise