The Student Room Group

I feel like I haven't wasted my time, but I want to change courses?

Hey,

I started University on 23rd of September and had an overall good approach towards it. I did have a difficulty of the choice of choosing courses as I just was picky about IT (Information Technology) because of being taught during GCSE and in A-Levels. And by name I thought I just should focus on finding an undergraduate degree called 'IT' without looking at the modules and thinking if it would interest me.

I ended up choosing Cyber security. Now, before anyone goes crazy! I wanted to state that the other undergraduate computer science degrees, within the first semester was all the same for every computing or type of computing degree, (I basically haven't missed anything).

The other day, I was comparing and looking at the courses. And what triggered me was that, I can do Computer Science & IT. I thought, just because it have 'Computer Science' written on it, it would be hard because of programming. Little did I know that every type of computery course does programming within the first semester.

I don't know if I am making the right choices.
But, I seriously feel attached towards the computer science & IT. I have experienced with it during the aspects of A-Levels and the internet of nano-things. Maybe I should talk to some course leader? Or maybe

What do you guys think?
Original post by ItzAyeshaHere
Hey,

I started University on 23rd of September and had an overall good approach towards it. I did have a difficulty of the choice of choosing courses as I just was picky about IT (Information Technology) because of being taught during GCSE and in A-Levels. And by name I thought I just should focus on finding an undergraduate degree called 'IT' without looking at the modules and thinking if it would interest me.

I ended up choosing Cyber security. Now, before anyone goes crazy! I wanted to state that the other undergraduate computer science degrees, within the first semester was all the same for every computing or type of computing degree, (I basically haven't missed anything).

The other day, I was comparing and looking at the courses. And what triggered me was that, I can do Computer Science & IT. I thought, just because it have 'Computer Science' written on it, it would be hard because of programming. Little did I know that every type of computery course does programming within the first semester.

I don't know if I am making the right choices.
But, I seriously feel attached towards the computer science & IT. I have experienced with it during the aspects of A-Levels and the internet of nano-things. Maybe I should talk to some course leader? Or maybe

What do you guys think?

I'd definitely ask a couple of the tutors about the main differences in the courses, and speak to students of it about their experience so far. Reading about the module contents on paper can be quite different. Look at current work examples, and of final graduate work examples to decide if you want to aim for that kind of conclusion. I've had friends who swapped back and forth, or kept changing, due to 'thinking it would be different' so do your research and make sure ur happy
Original post by leopard202
I'd definitely ask a couple of the tutors about the main differences in the courses, and speak to students of it about their experience so far. Reading about the module contents on paper can be quite different. Look at current work examples, and of final graduate work examples to decide if you want to aim for that kind of conclusion. I've had friends who swapped back and forth, or kept changing, due to 'thinking it would be different' so do your research and make sure ur happy

I will do so! When I was a year younger, I didn't really bother reading into the modules. I just was scared with programming and thought that the others didnt do programming but it is actually good and I am getting the grades! Thnak you so much. I will book an appointment with my academic coach!
Agree with the above poster, definitely do the research and find out as much as you can. It's fairly common for the first year of all Computing-related degrees within a university to have all the same modules, it's also common for people to reach the end of the first year and switch to a different Computing variant for the second year.

Take the time to think about it, and find out how long you'll have to decide as well- with any luck you'll be able to hold off making any final choices until the start of the second year, which should give you loads of time.

You could also ask whether the university offers a more generic and flexible Computing degree as well with more option modules - if it's available, that can be a good way to just focus on topics you really want to study.
Original post by ItzAyeshaHere
I will do so! When I was a year younger, I didn't really bother reading into the modules. I just was scared with programming and thought that the others didnt do programming but it is actually good and I am getting the grades! Thnak you so much. I will book an appointment with my academic coach!

Good luck!
UPDATE
I have made an appointment with the course leader and have mentioned you part in quotations. They have said that it was a good advice for me. (Thanks)

And I have another query. Should I consult my parents or?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending