izzychloe247
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
okay so i’m pretty stressed about a level geography, i had a really good teacher last year but he left and the one i’ve got this year is practically useless, he just sits at the front and talks and puts videos on which i can’t follow and it’s really demotivating. i do have a geography tutor but i’m still getting super stressed because i’m having to teach myself a lot of the content and it’s not going into my head as well
i want to do physical geography at university next year but i still have to endure human geography this year which i’m really not good at. i’m just not amazing at essay writing (i’m more of a science person than english) and i don’t know how i’m meant to remember all the case studies. physical geography is the only thing that makes sense to me, i just feel like i’ve not got it inside of me to do well at this subject and we haven’t even been given any exam questions to practice so i can’t tell where i’m at
could anyone who has done a level geography give me some advice?? any help would be appreciated!! and if it helps i do OCR
Last edited by izzychloe247; 8 months ago
Heppy1212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
In terms of your teacher, Im not sure what you could do except maybe ask if your peers feel the same and if so, mention it to another tutor

In terms of struggling with the human, i know how you feel. I studied physical geography at uni and that still had human aspects in some modules - just something we have to deal with! If you struggle more with the human then maybe try revising it more than the physical. One thing I did with case studies when doing my A levels is just remember a few key bits of info rather than full facts If you cant remember an exact Figure just remember the big units of it, e.g if a case study created 6445 jobs, remember its around 6500.
If your worried about exam prep again maybe ask another teachers for past papers, or maybe look online see whats available?

Dont worry - im sure you'll get there with it!
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heppy1212)
In terms of your teacher, Im not sure what you could do except maybe ask if your peers feel the same and if so, mention it to another tutor

In terms of struggling with the human, i know how you feel. I studied physical geography at uni and that still had human aspects in some modules - just something we have to deal with! If you struggle more with the human then maybe try revising it more than the physical. One thing I did with case studies when doing my A levels is just remember a few key bits of info rather than full facts If you cant remember an exact Figure just remember the big units of it, e.g if a case study created 6445 jobs, remember its around 6500.
If your worried about exam prep again maybe ask another teachers for past papers, or maybe look online see whats available?

Dont worry - im sure you'll get there with it!
literally everyone else in my class has been saying the same, and i might mention it to someone but i just feel like nothings gonna get done (my college is literally wack they spent 3 weeks striking)
thank you for this advice though!! i’ve tried to look online but there isn’t a great deal of exam questions on there, but i’ll see if my tutor has anything!!
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I love human geography it’s better than physical personally.

Human geography has the same context throughout. You could repeat points and get marks.
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Discrepancy)
I love human geography it’s better than physical personally.

Human geography has the same context throughout. You could repeat points and get marks.
you have a point, a lot of it is common sense but i feel like i usually know what the answer is or have an idea but can’t put it into words which is why i struggle
dj_ad_1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If i were u id say maybe phone a college and ask if u could learn geography there and then ask your school if they'd let u do 3 a levels with 1 taken externally
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by dj_ad_1)
If i were u id say maybe phone a college and ask if u could learn geography there and then ask your school if they'd let u do 3 a levels with 1 taken externally
i was thinking that but literally hardly anywhere near me does the same exam board and even if they do it’s not likely they would be learning the same modules coz there’s a lot of options
dj_ad_1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by izzychloe247)
i was thinking that but literally hardly anywhere near me does the same exam board and even if they do it’s not likely they would be learning the same modules coz there’s a lot of options
I mean u can ask the college if u can get the material for the first year stuff by explaining that u did a different exam board in the first year. Once u get the material u can speak with ur teacher and tell him u need help with this topic after college so like maybe arrange a day u both can do after college.
hypn0se
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How do you guys revise the content in general for human and physical geography? I know this sounds vague, but I'm really struggling, especially with physical geography.
?Hannah?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by hypn0se)
How do you guys revise the content in general for human and physical geography? I know this sounds vague, but I'm really struggling, especially with physical geography.
Hey! So I would recommend starting early in order to give yourself enough time to go over and learn all of the content. Unfortunately all a levels are difficult but it’s the way you think about it and approach it that impacts your performance. Once you have revised the content, I would then go on to making essay plans and thinking about how you would evaluate the content

A good essay would consist of probably two sides of the argument; one agreeing with the statement provided and the other disagreeing. State your point, give a case study example and link it back to the question. Then go one step deeper and evaluate. A level geography is so big on evaluation for some reason and it can be a real pain :/ So evaluation is basically thinking about the positives and negatives of something. So, with shoreline management plans for coastal environments, you could mention positive impacts that the provision of hold the line management has had on coasts, but then go into the extra depth by discussing how it is not a holistic approach and only considers certain sections of the coastline. In order for it to be effective against global sea level rise, each section of coast would need to be assigned a shoreline management plan and integrated coastal management is more ideal since its holistic and considers the coastal area as a whole

An evaluative conclusion is a must. Think about the overall impact of the arguments you have given. You could allude to the fact that mitigation of sea level change simply isn’t realistic since it is set to continue rising each year and that we should instead focus on reducing our CO2 emissions in order to prevent sea level rise occurring.

Think about changes over time - always good to link to climate change here and spatial factors (does management differ between LICs and HICs due to poorly organised and typically corrupt government in LICs?)

Geography is not easy at all and the new course is definitely a step up. But with lots of revision and a good essay structure in your head, you should be fine Good luck x and start revising ASAP to minimise stress
?Hannah?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also, for anyone reading this thread, I can send over essay structure examples and also any notes etc xx always happy to help people out as I know just how difficult studies can be sometimes. But it’s so important to keep your head up and continue moving forward no matter how hard A levels get
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by ?Hannah?)
Also, for anyone reading this thread, I can send over essay structure examples and also any notes etc xx always happy to help people out as I know just how difficult studies can be sometimes. But it’s so important to keep your head up and continue moving forward no matter how hard A levels get
thank you so much this is really helpful!! if i’m ever stuck i’ll let you know xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (189)
38.57%
Take autumn exams (150)
30.61%
Look for a job (17)
3.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.29%
Take a year out (85)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.71%

Watched Threads