The Student Room Group

Borrowed money or stole...??!!

Friend went shopping borrowed £10 as didn’t have wallet at the time, said would pay me back.

Said he’d pay me back the day after, and to make sure he did.

It’s been 3 wks, saw him again today and still nothing...

Has he forgotten if so how should I remind him?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol, i never buy anything tho I’d honestly rather have the cash

This did make me laugh so hard imagining it 😂
Next time you're near a cash point, ask him directly to go withdraw the money.

Or you could send him your account number and sort code to online bank transfer the £10.

You can't forget when you can literally give/transfer you the money at that very moment.
Talk to him about this
This one ☝️
Reply 5
Original post by CTLeafez
Next time you're near a cash point, ask him directly to go withdraw the money.

Or you could send him your account number and sort code to online bank transfer the £10.

You can't forget when you can literally give/transfer you the money at that very moment.

Like the sound of the 2nd option but how do u do it without sounding pushy?

Eg he was going to use part of the £10 to buy a £1 umbrella from Poundland so I said to him because it was raining did u get the umbrella, and then we went past Asda and I said yeah lucky u got that umbrella instead of paying £10 here... he just laughed and agreed so idk if he’s forgotten or is pretending that he did 😩
Very neat :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Rock Fan
Talk to him about this

How do I even bring it up it’s been nearly a month
I feel like it’s upto him to raise it but so far seems like he’s not that kinda guy 🤦*♂️
Original post by Anonymous
Like the sound of the 2nd option but how do u do it without sounding pushy?

Eg he was going to use part of the £10 to buy a £1 umbrella from Poundland so I said to him because it was raining did u get the umbrella, and then we went past Asda and I said yeah lucky u got that umbrella instead of paying £10 here... he just laughed and agreed so idk if he’s forgotten or is pretending that he did 😩

If you've been asking him to pay you back multiple times, then you're allowed to be pushy! It isn't rude to request money that you lent to someone back. They are being the rude one by not turning it in a timely manner. A decent friend wouldn't mess their friend around regarding money.
Reply 9
Yeah igy and if there’s no other way I’ll do that.

The thing is it’s while we’re on placement so I’m literally with him just one day there - but all day...

Ideally I’d want to just remind him he owes £10 in a casual way so that he knows and so that I don’t look like a d*ck
Original post by CTLeafez
If you've been asking him to pay you back multiple times, then you're allowed to be pushy! It isn't rude to request money that you lent to someone back. They are being the rude one by not turning it in a timely manner. A decent friend wouldn't mess their friend around regarding money.

Yeah true, because I’m on placement tho with him for the rest of the yr tho I don’t want to make it awkward... but I also know leaving it too long will be my fault!

I totally agree with ya 👏
Guys I’ve got his number what can I msg him if that’d be easier considering what I’ve mentioned ..
Never lend money that you can’t afford to lose. He clearly isn’t a good friend.
Reply 13
If I was you I’d just drop him a text saying “hey I’m really struggling this month, any chance you could ping me back that 10 pound I lent you not long back? It would be a massive help, thanks mate” that way he can’t be aggy Cus you’ve asked in a way that frames it like he’s helping you out :smile:
Guys I’ve got his number what can I msg him if that’d be easier considering what I’ve mentioned ..

Since he said from memory to make sure he paid me back on the nxt day, shd I msg on Sunday saying “hey u said to remind u about the £10 you borrowed at CBM... if it’s easier here’s my PayPal/bank details etc”?

Does that sound fine or rude if you received that....
Original post by Olive22
If I was you I’d just drop him a text saying “hey I’m really struggling this month, any chance you could ping me back that 10 pound I lent you not long back? It would be a massive help, thanks mate” that way he can’t be aggy Cus you’ve asked in a way that frames it like he’s helping you out :smile:

lol only prob is, I’m living at home so he knows I wouldn’t be struggling 😫otherwise that’d have been perfect 😭

How’s the msg I’ve written plz?
Original post by YaliaV
Never lend money that you can’t afford to lose. He clearly isn’t a good friend.

Yeah I can see that now, honestly didn’t think he was like that smh rlly thought he’d pay me back without asking today esp since he went Asda with me and bought a tonne of food 😢
Reply 17
lol only prob is, I’m living at home so he knows I wouldn’t be struggling 😫otherwise that’d have been perfect 😭

Yeah just read it that should be fine! Just be really friendly about it and just make it seem really casual and he can’t get weird about it!

You can just say you need the money you don’t need to tell him why🤷*♀️
'Hoy, You owe me £10'

And thus I win the Krypton Factor World Retro Championship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending