The Student Room Group

Borrowed money or stole...??!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hunchoM
She was my best mate, and ngl I’m quite a generous person so I thought it might help her out ygm so I left it

Was as in no longer becuz of this?
Original post by Anonymous
Has he forgotten if so how should I remind him?

simple

All this aggro and stress is really not worth it for a bleedin tenner. Ask for it back or move on.
Was as in no longer becuz of this?

Naaa we just drifted apart
Igy, this guy is a mate not best mate only known him for a month or so when he asked thought he’d repay me promptly cuz I would’ve esp if I didn’t know someone that long...

Don’t get me wrong If it were my money I wouldn’t be too bothered it was only a tenner, but it was my dad who gave it for emergency and works hard for money...... I don’t wanna be the bad guy..

If you're going to get this anxious about asking for the money back, you should've avoided letting anyone borrow from you. Just remind him to pay you back - it's your money after all. If he gets funny about it, that's his problem.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you're going to get this anxious about asking for the money back, you should've avoided letting anyone borrow from you. Just remind him to pay you back - it's your money after all. If he gets funny about it, that's his problem.

Yh it is his problem actually!
I’ll remind him nxt Fri when we break up for hols
I msgd him last wk, he said “thanks [for the reminder] he’d forgotten lol” - it’s been a wk still no money transferred to bank account wtf’s he playing at?!!
What do I do?
I replied immediately to say “lol nw”. Then left it a few days and reacted to his msg with a thumbs up (FB Messenger). Still f***ing nothing!!!!
I replied immediately to say “lol nw”. Then left it a few days and reacted to his msg with a thumbs up (FB Messenger). Still f***ing nothing!!!!

Have you sent him your bank details? If not, you could add a follow-up message, and even if you have, then act like you don't remember giving them to him and send them anyway.
Have you sent him your bank details? If not, you could add a follow-up message, and even if you have, then act like you don't remember giving them to him and send them anyway.

Oh I sent him a screenshot immediately before saying “lol nw” with a pic of my bank details

Shd I wait until Xmas hols in a wk so that he’s at least had a chance to send in case he’s been busy (which I doubt!) and then do that?
Shd I wait until Xmas hols in a wk so that he’s at least had a chance to send in case he’s been busy (which I doubt!) and then do that?

If you're willing to wait until after Christmas, he'll probably think that you don't really need the money back and will continue to stall. Keep sending him reminders until he sends you the money - tell him you need the money for Christmas presents/an unexpected bill etc.
If you're willing to wait until after Christmas, he'll probably think that you don't really need the money back and will continue to stall. Keep sending him reminders until he sends you the money - tell him you need the money for Christmas presents/an unexpected bill etc.

So what shd I send right now

Mate if u could send the money asap pls, need it for xmas presents

^Someone, pls lmk how that sounds if u were to receive that...

That sounds fine - if I received that, I'd feel very embarrassed that I hadn't paid you back quick enough, but then some people are more shameless than that.
That sounds fine - if I received that, I'd feel very embarrassed that I hadn't paid you back quick enough, but then some people are more shameless than that.

Cheers, sent. Yh tbh I would’ve already paid the guy back by now if it were me - I’d be v.embarassed!!

I’ll lyk what (/if!) he replies...
Cheers, sent. Yh tbh I would’ve already paid the guy back by now if it were me - I’d be v.embarassed!!

I’ll lyk what (/if!) he replies...

So far nothing 😢
So far nothing 😢

Can you tell if he's read the message? He's mucking you about, so take this as a lesson never to lend him money again.
Can you tell if he's read the message? He's mucking you about, so take this as a lesson never to lend him money again.

He literally just replied to say sorry about the delay and sent the cash!

It worked mate. Cheers.

In the future how do I avoid giving him money in a polite way if it were to come up again?
He literally just replied to say sorry about the delay and sent the cash!

It worked mate. Cheers.

In the future how do I avoid giving him money in a polite way if it were to come up again?

I'm glad you got the money back, although he made it way more painful than it needed to be.

If he asks again, I'd either remind how long it took to pay you back the last time, or just say you don't have the cash/forgot your card etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending