Charlie728477282
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want to do dentistry as a degree in uni and go on to be a dentist and in the far future a cosmetic dentist or a orthodontist. However I’m worried that I won’t get into uni. I’m in year 11 taking separate science etc and doing geography biology and chemistry (maybe additional physics) at a-level. Do u have any tips on getting in and the requirements I need to have for it......
meeehhhhhh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlie728477282)
I really want to do dentistry as a degree in uni and go on to be a dentist and in the far future a cosmetic dentist or a orthodontist. However I’m worried that I won’t get into uni. I’m in year 11 taking separate science etc and doing geography biology and chemistry (maybe additional physics) at a-level. Do u have any tips on getting in and the requirements I need to have for it......
I think for dentistry, or any degrees like medicine dentistry or veterinarian, you need to have done Biology Chemistry and Maths for A Level. So I would take Maths over physics or geography. I would recommend looking at a couple uni's websites to see their specification on what they want students to have just to understand it. As I imagine the core things you need for the course are the same.

Don't worry about getting into uni now because there is a uni out there for everyone, no matter what you want to do or grades and stuff. But, I would just be careful because I know degrees around medicine and dentistry tend to be quite snobby with peoples A Levels and GCSE grades. And even if you don't want to uni, there are so many other ways you can get into certain professions now so I wouldn't worry.

Either way I say focus on getting really good GCSE grades and then over the summer researching what A-Levels/post GCSE qualifications and requirements you need (i.e. work experience and stuff). Because you can change around what courses you want to quite easily before starting school. As I changed two of my A-Levels within the first term of yr 12 and dropped one at the beginning of yr 13 and picked up an EPQ. So there really is space to more about in terms of what you're studying post GCSE. Therefore you can use that to guide you towards dentistry.

Good luck with GCSE and I wish you the best with your future career in dentistry!!!
A.B72
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meeehhhhhh)
I think for dentistry, or any degrees like medicine dentistry or veterinarian, you need to have done Biology Chemistry and Maths for A Level. So I would take Maths over physics or geography. I would recommend looking at a couple uni's websites to see their specification on what they want students to have just to understand it. As I imagine the core things you need for the course are the same.

Don't worry about getting into uni now because there is a uni out there for everyone, no matter what you want to do or grades and stuff. But, I would just be careful because I know degrees around medicine and dentistry tend to be quite snobby with peoples A Levels and GCSE grades. And even if you don't want to uni, there are so many other ways you can get into certain professions now so I wouldn't worry.

Either way I say focus on getting really good GCSE grades and then over the summer researching what A-Levels/post GCSE qualifications and requirements you need (i.e. work experience and stuff). Because you can change around what courses you want to quite easily before starting school. As I changed two of my A-Levels within the first term of yr 12 and dropped one at the beginning of yr 13 and picked up an EPQ. So there really is space to more about in terms of what you're studying post GCSE. Therefore you can use that to guide you towards dentistry.

Good luck with GCSE and I wish you the best with your future career in dentistry!!!
This is 100% correct, except I would say for the vast majority of unis, they only care if you do Biology and Chemistry A-level so just make sure your third A-level is something you enjoy and know you'll get a good grade in. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (251)
57.18%
I don't have everything I need (188)
42.82%

Watched Threads