The Student Room Group

Why the UK General Election is RIGGED *MUST WATCH*

I'd prefer a bit more explanation?
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
I'd prefer a bit more explanation?

When you’ve got the most widely circulated tabloids solely set to demonise the leader of the opposition, there’s misinformation and a lack of scrutiny against the incumbent government
Original post by james.clk
When you’ve got the most widely circulated tabloids solely set to demonise the leader of the opposition, there’s misinformation and a lack of scrutiny against the incumbent government

Oh that, Well we made trolling mainstream, so it's their game really.

I consider Corbyn unelectable because the tabloids say he is, and there's a horrible reality to that.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Oh that, Well we made trolling mainstream, so it's their game really.

I consider Corbyn unelectable because the tabloids say he is, and there's a horrible reality to that.

There is a reality to it, I’m sure more voters are gonna read the front pages than watch party political broadcasts, read manifestos or fact-check competing claims
Reply 5
There is a reality to it, I’m sure more voters are gonna read the front pages than watch party political broadcasts, read manifestos or fact-check competing claims

Considering anyone with an ounce of common sense should sooner trust the gossip their neighbour peggy heard from the milkmans wife over any rubbish spewed by a party political broadcast or a manifesto...
I have only just realised, I watched that interview last night but you are correct, I am waiting until I read the Sun/Mail/Star* before I form an opinion on just how awfully Jeremy Corbyn performed and how much the costs of nationalising all of these services will hit every single taxpayer, not to mention his/Labour's idea that they will get big corporations to pay for all this by increasing taxes on them ( which they of course would gladly soak up and never for 1 second consider passing on costs ).
* Please apply whichever of these rags that I don't read you feel best supports your argument.
I think there is definitely anti-Labour bias on the part of some newspapers, but I don’t think this ‘rigs’ the election, and I do worry that Labour is at times guilty of using bias to dismiss legitimate critical coverage by the media. Both sides of the political argument need to accept unflattering reporting, and the media ( on both sides of the political spectrum) needs to stop parroting their party messages without question, which I agree organisations like the Mail often do.

I think we can all agree that the media should report the facts. The problem is that the different parties have each embraced a partisan version of the truth which benefits them, and are unwilling to see outside of this prism. The most avid supporters cannot accept the possibility that their party is wrong, and would rather believe there is a conspiracy to silence them. And if you believe this fervently enough, any critical coverage becomes a partisan ‘MSM’ lie. History has some truly horrifying examples of what happens when political movements decide that their version of truth alone is justified.

The media should work harder to provide clear, apolitical sources for stories, and very clearly separate analysis and opinion sections away from factual reporting. We need more quality journalism, and a focus on quality and accuracy of reporting over speed of reporting or amount of attention. Of course, that’s not going to happen any time soon.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
Considering anyone with an ounce of common sense should sooner trust the gossip their neighbour peggy heard from the milkmans wife over any rubbish spewed by a party political broadcast or a manifesto...

Yh the same milkman’s wife who believes the 2016 EU Referendum was about the withdrawal of the U.K. from the continent of Europe
The daily mail has always been like that. The only one to show a bit of a bias shift around this election is the BBC. Which is odd cause they're not supposed to have any bias.

Media on its own doesn't 'rig' an election though.
It is, but only in the sense that our system isn't very good in the first place.

And given that nobody but the residents of Islington votes for Corbyn, it doesn't matter.
Reply 12
The media has always taken sides. There are only a few major UK news sources that are without bias.

But print media is declining, and social media is now huge... people are probably more likely to read and believe the bull**** shared by their mates on social media than they are to read newspapers, so I think the media impact is diminishing nowadays, not growing...
rigged imo not fit for purpose in 2019 - FTTP and this tactical voting nonsense, living in a Labour/Tory safe seat, your voice does not matter in any way
Reply 14
Yh the same milkman’s wife who believes the 2016 EU Referendum was about the withdrawal of the U.K. from the continent of Europe

Mmm would if they could

Who reads tabloids these days? I thought the influencers are online. Only Corbyn and his comrades is responsible for failing to hold the government to account.
You have just discovered the concept of newspaper bias, congratulations.

:facepalm:
I've got an idea, let's make reading the morning star compulsory for everyone, that way we will all get to know the real truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending