BigThink
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello I really need some advice on the minimum requirements I need to successfully graduate being awarded the AS mathematics Edexcel. I am not planning to do the A levels, I am only willing to do the AS mathematics, and will be taking the exam next year June (2020). However from the specifications I find here:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.o...2-syllabus.pdf
The Cambridge International AS Level Mathematics qualification offers three different options:
• Pure Mathematics only (Paper 1 and Paper 2) or
• Pure Mathematics and Mechanics (Paper 1 and Paper 4) or
• Pure Mathematics and Probability & Statistics (Paper 1 and Paper 5).

Currently I am studying the book Year 1 AS mathematics Pure mathematics by Pearson book (blue) as well as mechanics from Year 1 AS mathematics Statistics and Mechanics by Pearson (light red).

I am just worried because I am home schooled I do not know if I am applying correctly and am studying the correct books. Are the books I am studying enough for me to take the Pure Mathematics and Mechanics (Paper 1 and Paper 4) option to help me get the AS mathematics certificate? Also paper 4 is mechanics M1 if I am not mistaken, are the books I am studying enough for me to cover and sit the paper 4 and paper 1?

I would appreciate some detailed feedback for the AS mathematics course and what I am preparing is correct.
Pangol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by BigThink)
Hello I really need some advice on the minimum requirements I need to successfully graduate being awarded the AS mathematics Edexcel. I am not planning to do the A levels, I am only willing to do the AS mathematics, and will be taking the exam next year June (2020). However from the specifications I find here:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.o...2-syllabus.pdf
The Cambridge International AS Level Mathematics qualification offers three different options:
• Pure Mathematics only (Paper 1 and Paper 2) or
• Pure Mathematics and Mechanics (Paper 1 and Paper 4) or
• Pure Mathematics and Probability & Statistics (Paper 1 and Paper 5).

Currently I am studying the book Year 1 AS mathematics Pure mathematics by Pearson book (blue) as well as mechanics from Year 1 AS mathematics Statistics and Mechanics by Pearson (light red).

I am just worried because I am home schooled I do not know if I am applying correctly and am studying the correct books. Are the books I am studying enough for me to take the Pure Mathematics and Mechanics (Paper 1 and Paper 4) option to help me get the AS mathematics certificate? Also paper 4 is mechanics M1 if I am not mistaken, are the books I am studying enough for me to cover and sit the paper 4 and paper 1?

I would appreciate some detailed feedback for the AS mathematics course and what I am preparing is correct.
Are these the text books you are using?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-lev.../dp/129218339X
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mat.../dp/1292232536

They are designed for UK students studying the non-international version of the course. A quick glance at your specification shows that the international version is quite different. For example, your paper 1 requires knowledge of radians, which isn't introduced until year 2 in the UK. Similarly with domain, range and inverse functions. There is probably a lot more, I stopped reading when it became clear that the UK and international AS qualifications are not the same.

If you are planning on taking the two pure papers then there is no need to study any mechanics, but I also not that the international AS mechanics includes topics such as work, energy and power, which do not feature on the UK A Level at all (you have to take the appropriate further mathematics mechanics options to meet these).

So it looks like you will need more detailed advice from someone who knows the international version a bit better than I do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.11%
I'm not sure (14)
3.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.81%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (193)
46.28%

Watched Threads