Will you be voting differently this time? Watch

bloomer36
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I think this will be the first time I vote for a party I'm not used to being on the side of.
CrazyConnor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends where I vote tbh. If I vote in my home constituency, then no. But if I vote in my uni constituency then yes, because the party I voted for last time doesn't have anyone standing here.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
I think this will be the first time I vote for a party I'm not used to being on the side of.
I wont be voting differently. I have voted Labour and intend to do so again next month.

I am excited about the Labour policies that target all groups in the country and provide for the many and not the few.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would have voted Labour had the last three weeks not been an absolute car crash. Their manifesto is flawed, I'm sick of them thinking that just chucking money around is the only way to fix things, and then to top it all off the leadership couldn't work a parking meter between them. I fear for this country, I really do.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
I would have voted Labour had the last three weeks not been an absolute car crash. Their manifesto is flawed, I'm sick of them thinking that just chucking money around is the only way to fix things, and then to top it all off the leadership couldn't work a parking meter between them. I fear for this country, I really do.
That is fair.

I am wondering how can the issues be solved?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
That is fair.

I am wondering how can the issues be solved?
No idea, but if we forget Brexit for just one moment, the other thing I want is tougher punishments on crimes. The only party to mention that that I've heard is the Conservatives. Labour again, dropping the ball because they insist on just throwing sums of money at the benefits system to actually help the lower echelons of society who are committing all of the ASB, burglaries and thefts, rather than help the victims.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No idea, but if we forget Brexit for just one moment, the other thing I want is tougher punishments on crimes. The only party to mention that that I've heard is the Conservatives. Labour again, dropping the ball because they insist on just throwing sums of money at the benefits system to actually help the lower echelons of society who are committing all of the ASB, burglaries and thefts, rather than help the victims.
I understand your point and you are right. Sometimes, throwing money at a problem may not be the solution. I agree we have to be tougher on crime.

However, I think we need to focus on and investigate the reasons for crime such as unemployment, poor education, low wages, bad or non-existent social provisions. These, to me, have been caused by years of Tory and Lib Dem destruction of the nation.

Labour solution of more money for everything may not solve the problem, but I think it can help to alleviate the issues faced at all levels of society. I support proper reforms but we may never get to that point because it is in the best interests of all Parties to use working class and poor people as bait for their politics.

You are right though.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
I have no idea. In my constituency 90+% of voters are Labour or Tory, I do not want to vote for either of them.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I understand your point and you are right. Sometimes, throwing money at a problem may not be the solution. I agree we have to be tougher on crime.

However, I think we need to focus on and investigate the reasons for crime such as unemployment, poor education, low wages, bad or non-existent social provisions. These, to me, have been caused by years of Tory and Lib Dem destruction of the nation.

Labour solution of more money for everything may not solve the problem, but I think it can help to alleviate the issues faced at all levels of society. I support proper reforms but we may never get to that point because it is in the best interests of all Parties to use working class and poor people as bait for their politics.

You are right though.
A few years ago I would have agreed and said we need to look at the reasons for this happening as the main point of the agenda, however, now I’m thinking enough is enough. Far too many excuses being made for poor choices in life, far too much leeway given to people don’t deserve it, not enough tough intervention given, instead it’s all this whimmy whammy nanny state business.

An example for you, we have a local transport system close to where I live, for seven nights in a row there has had to be a train withdrawn due to anti social behaviour, windows kicked out, all sorts going on. How is that fair on normal working people? They suffer because these kids know there is no deterrent to what they are doing. They aren’t bothered, they’ll get a slap on the wrist and their parents won’t care. I want something done about cases like this. There is a criminal theory, I can never remember the name of it which suggests that if you clamp down heavily on cases like this as a result the rate of serious crime goes down.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A few years ago I would have agreed and said we need to look at the reasons for this happening as the main point of the agenda, however, now I’m thinking enough is enough. Far too many excuses being made for poor choices in life, far too much leeway given to people don’t deserve it, not enough tough intervention given, instead it’s all this whimmy whammy nanny state business.

An example for you, we have a local transport system close to where I live, for seven nights in a row there has had to be a train withdrawn due to anti social behaviour, windows kicked out, all sorts going on. How is that fair on normal working people? They suffer because these kids know there is no deterrent to what they are doing. They aren’t bothered, they’ll get a slap on the wrist and their parents won’t care. I want something done about cases like this. There is a criminal theory, I can never remember the name of it which suggests that if you clamp down heavily on cases like this as a result the rate of serious crime goes down.
That is horrible, those people should be reprimanded for such activities.

I agree with you that enough is enough, but we have to operate a dual approach of focusing on the reasons for crime and then operating a harsh punishment regime. I have stated on TSR that I support zero tolerance to such behaviour, but I still recognise that some cases are grey rather than black and white.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i shall be voting for Boris. he will deliver the will of the people about Brexit. a ghastly mistake but hey that's democracy folks !!

as a strong supporter of the Jewish community i feel i have no other option.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
i shall be voting for Boris. he will deliver the will of the people about Brexit. a ghastly mistake but hey that's democracy folks !!

as a strong supporter of the Jewish community i feel i have no other option.
I am Jewish and I know many Jews, who will vote for the Labour Party.

Why Boris? Why not Corbyn?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am Jewish and I know many Jews, who will vote for the Labour Party.

Why Boris? Why not Corbyn?
The Jews have suffered enough.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
The Jews have suffered enough.
Ok.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I voted for Labour at the last election, back when I thought they were democrats and supported the result of the referendum.

This election, I'm tempted to vote Conservative as they seem to be the only sensible party where Brexit's concerned. That said, I could never support the Tory's financial vandalism of our public services and especially the NHS.

So I probably won't vote.
Last edited by Pencil; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (344)
46.11%
No (80)
10.72%
I'm not old enough (322)
43.16%

Watched Threads