DH95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Am I eligible for a doctoral loan?

I am a current PhD student at the University of Edinburgh. I have received loans in the past for my undergrad and masters but am wondering if i am eligible for a doctoral loan as I now live full time in Scotland. (for my undergrad and masters I was also registered as living in England with my parents, but now live exclusively in Scotland)

Under the eligibility here, it looks like I would not be eligible.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/stu...an-eligibility

Furthermore, you are ineligible if : "you’ve received or will receive Research Council funding (for example, studentships, stipends, scholarships and tuition fee support)" while I do not receive research council funding I do receive a studentship from my university. Does this have an effect too?

So, my question is, given these circumstances am I eligible for a loan?
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DH95)
Am I eligible for a doctoral loan?

I am a current PhD student at the University of Edinburgh. I have received loans in the past for my undergrad and masters but am wondering if i am eligible for a doctoral loan as I now live full time in Scotland. (for my undergrad and masters I was also registered as living in England with my parents, but now live exclusively in Scotland)

Under the eligibility here, it looks like I would not be eligible.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/stu...an-eligibility

Furthermore, you are ineligible if : "you’ve received or will receive Research Council funding (for example, studentships, stipends, scholarships and tuition fee support)" while I do not receive research council funding I do receive a studentship from my university. Does this have an effect too?

So, my question is, given these circumstances am I eligible for a loan?
Hi,

Can you please confirm your nationality? When did your PhD course start?

Warm regards, Graeme
DH95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Graeme SFE)
Hi,

Can you please confirm your nationality? When did your PhD course start?

Warm regards, Graeme
I am from the UK and my PhD began in January 2019.
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DH95)
I am from the UK and my PhD began in January 2019.
Okay, thanks - when was the last time you received student finance, and when did you move to Scotland?

Warm regards, Graeme
DH95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Graeme SFE)
Okay, thanks - when was the last time you received student finance, and when did you move to Scotland?

Warm regards, Graeme
I received student finance for my masters in the form of a postgrad loan given to me in three instalments from September 2017 until the end of my masters in August 2018. I moved to Scotland for this masters in 2017. I have now lived in Scotland ever since.
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DH95)
I received student finance for my masters in the form of a postgrad loan given to me in three instalments from September 2017 until the end of my masters in August 2018. I moved to Scotland for this masters in 2017. I have now lived in Scotland ever since.
As you now live in Scotland you wouldn't be funded for your PHD. You would need to apply to SAAS for any available funding.

Thanks, Erin
DH95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Erin SFE)
As you now live in Scotland you wouldn't be funded for your PHD. You would need to apply to SAAS for any available funding.

Thanks, Erin
Hi Erin,

I have spoken to the student finance team at the university of Edinburgh and they seem to believe that I am eligible and I have been told that they have spoken to their "fees team and they have confirmed you are eligible for the student Finance England loan because you moved to Scotland for for study purposes". Is this true, or are you certain I am not eligible for a doctoral loan?

Many thanks,

Daniel
SFE Erin N
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Daniel,

This wouldn’t apply to you as you’ve moved permanently to Scotland. You may still be eligible for a doctoral loan but it would be through SAAS.

Thanks, Erin N.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads