CPP parking fine

Watch
chrisrobz2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I received 2 parking fines at my university campus from CPP, for both i was parked for maximum 20 minutes on both days to chat to my adviser. The next week i received 2 parking fines and now a month has passed and they have started sending more letters to my door with the recent one titled "Letter before county court claim". Is this seriously what they do to students? As i can barely even afford my weekly shop from my maintenance loan never mind paying £200 for these fines. What should i do?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chrisrobz2)
I received 2 parking fines at my university campus from CPP, for both i was parked for maximum 20 minutes on both days to chat to my adviser. The next week i received 2 parking fines and now a month has passed and they have started sending more letters to my door with the recent one titled "Letter before county court claim". Is this seriously what they do to students? As i can barely even afford my weekly shop from my maintenance loan never mind paying £200 for these fines. What should i do?
But if you'd paid it straight away (even if you were subsequently going to challenge them), then they would have cost you about £30 (£15 a throw). As it is, you've left them and the costs have escalated. Not a good idea...

They will take action to recover their debt - parking companies are notorious for this. If the fine has been fairly levied, then the university won't intervene: parking enforcement will have been fully devolved to CPP. The best thing you could do is contact them, explain your situation and offer to pay what you can. Don't leave it, and certainly don't ignore any letters: if you get a CCJ by default it will have huge ramifications for you.

EDIT - most carparks have 30 minutes free parking, so are you sure that these fines have been correctly levied? In any case, the proper thing to do is pay them as early as possible to benefit from the discount and challenge them later, not vice-versa.
chrisrobz2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
But if you'd paid it straight away (even if you were subsequently going to challenge them), then they would have cost you about £30 (£15 a throw). As it is, you've left them and the costs have escalated. Not a good idea...

They will take action to recover their debt - parking companies are notorious for this. If the fine has been fairly levied, then the university won't intervene: parking enforcement will have been fully devolved to CPP. The best thing you could do is contact them, explain your situation and offer to pay what you can. Don't leave it, and certainly don't ignore any letters: if you get a CCJ by default it will have huge ramifications for you.

EDIT - most carparks have 30 minutes free parking, so are you sure that these fines have been correctly levied? In any case, the proper thing to do is pay them as early as possible to benefit from the discount and challenge them later, not vice-versa.
Ok i have submitted an appeal through the website hoping to get the sum lowered to a smaller amount as theres no possible way of being able to afford the full amount as a full time student.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok i have submitted an appeal through the website hoping to get the sum lowered to a smaller amount as theres no possible way of being able to afford the full amount as a full time student.
So am I to take it that you're content that the fines have been correctly levied?

This is a good idea - with any luck they will reduce the charge if you can show there is no realistic prospect of them being able to get the full amount in a reasonable timeframe, and without court action.

Not lecturing you, but really - don't incur totally unnecessary costs like parking charges whilst you're a student and money is super tight. I bet it would have only cost you a couple of quid to get a ticket...
Mike172
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It isn’t a fine for starters. Only a traffic warden or the coppers can issue a fine. A private company can’t.

It’s an invoice essentially. They’ll try and scare you into paying by sending vaguely threatening letters mentioning courts and the such...

I got one of these about six years ago. Ignored absolutely everything they ever sent me until recently when they piped up again. Asked them for evidence (which I was fairly confident they didn’t have) and they eventually gave up and dropped the case.

Do your research online before you think about coughing up.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mike172)
It isn’t a fine for starters. Only a traffic warden or the coppers can issue a fine. A private company can’t.

It’s an invoice essentially. They’ll try and scare you into paying by sending vaguely threatening letters mentioning courts and the such...

I got one of these about six years ago. Ignored absolutely everything they ever sent me until recently when they piped up again. Asked them for evidence (which I was fairly confident they didn’t have) and they eventually gave up and dropped the case.

It's no longer recommended to ignore private parking fines - there is an increasing amount of case law backing the private parking firms.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mike172)

The direction of the law isn't on your side with this. I agree with your argument, but the circumstances of this case aren't really in any doubt as to whether or not the 'fine' has been properly levied.
chrisrobz2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
So am I to take it that you're content that the fines have been correctly levied?

This is a good idea - with any luck they will reduce the charge if you can show there is no realistic prospect of them being able to get the full amount in a reasonable timeframe, and without court action.

Not lecturing you, but really - don't incur totally unnecessary costs like parking charges whilst you're a student and money is super tight. I bet it would have only cost you a couple of quid to get a ticket...
Yeah i normally would have paid for a ticket if i was there for a lecture or tutorial which would take hours. But seeming as though i was less than 30 minutes for both seems unfair. I dont know how they expect students to pay these invoices. Thanks though
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there a way you can challenge the fine? Eg. Signs were not clear. If you email them with your arguments, they might just drop it, but you can’t just do nothing.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Is there a way you can challenge the fine? Eg. Signs were not clear. If you email them with your arguments, they might just drop it, but you can’t just do nothing.
Bit late when they left it over a month...
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah i normally would have paid for a ticket if i was there for a lecture or tutorial which would take hours. But seeming as though i was less than 30 minutes for both seems unfair. I dont know how they expect students to pay these invoices. Thanks though
That's OK And thanks to you for not being a victim, or an arse about the whole thing.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So you knew you needed to pay and didn't?! How's university going?

You have to worry about some people
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (17)
35.42%
No - I have already returned home (7)
14.58%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (8)
16.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (2)
4.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (14)
29.17%

Watched Threads