What do you think hurts more?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Loving someone and not being loved back or being loved and not able to love back?
SteveyStack
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The former as if you cared that much in the latter you would probably like them lol
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
honestly? i have no idea. i've been at both ends and they're both painful. there was this amazing guy who liked me a lot for a couple years but i just… couldn't see him like that and i didn't want to lead him on, so i didn't. we stayed good friends and we still are, but it was always a bit painful, knowing that something great was right there but i just couldn't force myself to feel more.
i feel like more people can relate to loving someone who doesn't love them back. i for one have been there way more often than i have the other end, and yeah, it sucks. it sucks looking at someone like they painted each star in the f*cking sky and imagining holding them in your arms and leading a life with them and laughing with them and being stupid and in love, and knowing in your heart that they'll never love you like that.
i think it's more painful to love someone who doesn't love you back because you can't stop looking at them that way even though you want to. even though you know it's killing you. you spend so many hours of so many days thinking of how incredible and beautiful and valuable they are when they hardly think of you at all. you would give up the world for that person and the fact that they wouldn't do the same… it's f*cking painful. but the truth is you can't force love. life runs its course and only the lucky ones find the kind of love that lasts a lifetime. i'm too young to know anything about love but god, i hope i find it one day.
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
definitely the first one
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Loving someone who doesn’t love you
In the second scenario you probably wouldn’t care
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The first. With the second you can walk away with no or only temporary qualms.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Former.

The latter doesn't hurt.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Loving someone and not being loved back or being loved and not able to love back?
The latter
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Former. I don't see what's so horrible about being loved lol.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
latter wouldn't be too much of an issue to me
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Former.

The latter doesn't hurt.
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
Former. I don't see what's so horrible about being loved lol.
Well, unless the person who loves you is some kind of stalker. But that probably isn't real love
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Well, unless the person who loves you is some kind of stalker. But that probably isn't real love
Im gonna be the token desperate loser and say even then its kinda flattering as long as its not dangerous or smth. Wouldn't want to have my throat slit in my sleep.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Stepping on a plug.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
Stepping on a plug.
Stepping on a lego
4StarsOutOf5
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
honestly? i have no idea. i've been at both ends and they're both painful. there was this amazing guy who liked me a lot for a couple years but i just… couldn't see him like that and i didn't want to lead him on, so i didn't. we stayed good friends and we still are, but it was always a bit painful, knowing that something great was right there but i just couldn't force myself to feel more.
i feel like more people can relate to loving someone who doesn't love them back. i for one have been there way more often than i have the other end, and yeah, it sucks. it sucks looking at someone like they painted each star in the f*cking sky and imagining holding them in your arms and leading a life with them and laughing with them and being stupid and in love, and knowing in your heart that they'll never love you like that.
i think it's more painful to love someone who doesn't love you back because you can't stop looking at them that way even though you want to. even though you know it's killing you. you spend so many hours of so many days thinking of how incredible and beautiful and valuable they are when they hardly think of you at all. you would give up the world for that person and the fact that they wouldn't do the same… it's f*cking painful. but the truth is you can't force love. life runs its course and only the lucky ones find the kind of love that lasts a lifetime. i'm too young to know anything about love but god, i hope i find it one day.
this is beautiful
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wait for a trip to the STD clinic... they scrape you off the ceiling.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
Speaking from experience, they’re both as painful as each other. A few years ago, one of my best friends opened up about his feelings towards me, and in fear of losing him as a friend, I foolishly agreed to date him. I know I was naive and selfish at the time, but part of me felt special to have finally received male attention and for once I felt as though I was truly capable of love. However, the awkwardness just grew between us and I could feel him slowly drifting away. He broke up with me over Messenger of all places, and I honestly still feel the pain to this day, mainly because I had a huge row with my parents at the same time and it was all so overwhelming. Then a year ago, another friend of mine asked me out, but ironically we used to hate each other when we were younger and he thought that it was a long shot. Again, I initially didn’t have feelings for him, but I didn’t want to lose him through rejection. This time was different. I did fall, so so hard. We would FaceTime until dawn, listening to each other fall asleep, sing songs to each other over the phone and it was just the perfect teenage romance. But this time I was the one to break up with him. And I think that’s the most unbearable pain in the world - parting ways with someone who you’re still so deeply in love with. He mistreated me to the point where I no longer felt like a person and I just felt this endless emptiness for months on end. We ended on really poor terms and he was naturally heartbroken, but we tried to rekindle our friendship months later and that just made it even more factious. Anyway, that’s the short version haha, but if I’ve learnt anything from this, as cheesy as it sounds, you can never truly find love until you love yourself first. Feel free to disagree with me because I used to think that was a load of nonsense, and at times I still do because anyone is capable of giving love regardless of their own self-esteem, but these past 6 months I’ve cut ties with toxic people in my life and now I can focus on my studies and gaining independence. I can finally listen to sad songs without crying my eyes out, I can dance freely around my room again to musicals with the blinds wide open without a care in the world, and most importantly, I know that I’m just as deserving of love as anyone in this world. This got a bit intense haha, but I guess whatever the circumstances are concerning the end of a relationship, everything gets better with time and it all starts with recognising your own self-worth <3
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I don’t know how it feels to being loved and not able to love back because I’ve never being in that situation before so I can’t really answer the question. But I have definitely loved someone who doesn’t love me back and I still love him and it hurts so so much. We were very close friends, we used to hang out a lot and text each other everyday. I told him how I felt about him but he said he only saw me as a friend. I was very upset. Then I was even more upset when he told me he had a crush on this girl, and I don’t even like her (She‘s always rude and disrespectful to me and she’s always showing off) so I kept wondering what exactly does she see in her. I kept asking myself “Why not me? What‘s wrong with me? Am I not good enough for him?” Ever since, I’ve been having a low self esteem and been very depressed. So I ended my friendship with him and decided not to talk to him ever again because it was difficult for me to move on and it hurts so much, and I thought after ending my friendship with him, it would be easier for me to move on but no, I keep thinking about him and I still love him. It’s just so painful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (281)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.95%
Isolating with family (130)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.32%
Loneliness (182)
9.9%
Financial worries (75)
4.08%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.75%

Watched Threads