Do we need to know about sigma/pi bonds in AQA A-Level Chemistry?

Watch
GalInSixthForm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I just wanted to enquire about whether we need to know sigma and pi bonds for AQA. I know some other exam boards do but my teachers have never mentioned it. However, some websites and tutors talk about sigma and pi bonds for AQA so just wanted to know if its on the spec. Thankssss xx
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by GalInSixthForm)
Hi guys, I just wanted to enquire about whether we need to know sigma and pi bonds for AQA. I know some other exam boards do but my teachers have never mentioned it. However, some websites and tutors talk about sigma and pi bonds for AQA so just wanted to know if its on the spec. Thankssss xx
I'm pretty sure you need to know the basics, yes.
GalInSixthForm
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'm pretty sure you need to know the basics, yes.
cool, so by basics you mean their strength and where they are found/their structure, right?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
cool, so by basics you mean their strength and where they are found/their structure, right?I
I think you actually need to search for your specification on the board's website and look at the required content. I've just had a quick look on the AQA specification under 'physical chemistry' and I can't find any reference to sigma/pi bonds - so maybe you don't actually need to know about them after all.

The specification is here (but check that this is the right one for you)
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
cool, so by basics you mean their strength and where they are found/their structure, right?
Even if you don't need to know it, chemical bonds are the most fundamental part of chemistry and it can't hurt to know about them, there's not much that's difficult about them anyway. Sigma bonds are stronger and any time you see a double or triple bond you know there's at least one pi bond in there. A double bond is composed of 1 sigma + 1 pi. A triple bond is 1 sigma + 2 pi.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think you actually need to search for your specification on the board's website and look at the required content. I've just had a quick look on the AQA specification under 'physical chemistry' and I can't find any reference to sigma/pi bonds - so maybe you don't actually need to know about them after all.

The specification is here (but check that this is the right one for you)
On the OCR A spec, it is in alkenes, so perhaps you were looking in the wrong place on the AQA spec.

But, like you said, it really should be up to the OP to be doing this basic research.
katieewalkerx9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I just took my A Level Chemistry this year, and unless the specification has changed, you don't need to know anything about sigma/pi bonds in AQA A Level Chemistry. I mean, if it makes you feel more confident about your knowledge, then I guess you can look into them, but you don't need to know about them to answer the questions. (I got an A in AQA A Level Chemistry).
Claisen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For AQA no, and if you're struggling to understand any of it then just don't bother learning it. You don't need it for the exam, it won't benefit your grade, and so has no purpose right now. If you want to pursue chemistry beyond A-level, probably best to learn it. If not, there's no point for AQA.

I got an A* in AQA A-level Chemistry in 2018, didn't know a thing about sigma/pi/antibonding/pi-pi back donation etc until 1st year degree chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.45%
No (36)
20.34%
Not sure (34)
19.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed