Doing my A Levels for the seventh time AMA Watch

username5010754
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
1. Why don’t you switch to easier subjects? Surely better passing them and having better grades than needing to keep on retake?

2. How many more times are you going to retake? What if 10 years from now you haven’t passed with the grades you want, are you just going to keep trying for the rest of your life?
3. Why do you want to go to uni so much?
4. How many hours do you study a day?
5. When you meet people how do you explain this?

Apologies if any of these come off as offensive, truly not my intention. I admire ur iron will and determination and I’m sure you’ll get the grades u want eventually, u deserve them
Last edited by username5010754; 2 months ago
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what do u wanna do at uni?
theoldalever
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I took on a private tutor in the beginning 2014-16 to be precise but then she left and then I never replaced my tutor but it did help slightly I guess. This year I am getting support from a local college as I have decided that doing them at home isn't a good idea at all. Anyone thinking of retaking really needs to be self motivated as unlike GCSEs, A Levels aren't the compulsory type so if you fail people don't necessarily view it as bad as they aren't entry level qualifications.

(Original post by ozzyoscy)
You're gonna reply to the bit about cost and not the potentially life-changing bit about Access?...
I enquired about Access courses a while back but due to me doing A Levels I wasn't allowed to do them so they aren't everyone's safety nets.
WinterKuma
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What grades are you aiming for?
LemonMan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What GCSEs did you manage to get?
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by theoldalever)
I took on a private tutor in the beginning 2014-16 to be precise but then she left and then I never replaced my tutor but it did help slightly I guess. This year I am getting support from a local college as I have decided that doing them at home isn't a good idea at all. Anyone thinking of retaking really needs to be self motivated as unlike GCSEs, A Levels aren't the compulsory type so if you fail people don't necessarily view it as bad as they aren't entry level qualifications.

I enquired about Access courses a while back but due to me doing A Levels I wasn't allowed to do them so they aren't everyone's safety nets.
I think if you find the right tutor it’d help you immensely. Exams are nothing but a hoop jumping exercise; just say what the examiners want on the mark scheme and you’re good
theoldalever
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kryptonitekid43)
1. Why don’t you switch to easier subjects? Surely better passing them and having better grades than needing to keep on retake?

2. How many more times are you going to retake? What if 10 years from now you haven’t passed with the grades you want, are you just going to keep trying for the rest of your life?
3. Why do you want to go to uni so much?
4. How many hours do you study a day?
5. When you meet people how do you explain this?

Apologies if any of these come off as offensive, truly not my intention. I admire ur iron will and determination and I’m sure you’ll get the grades u want eventually, u deserve them
1) I prefer the harder subjects as I find them more enjoyable, I'm not a fan of subjects like English etc as I don't find them stimulating.
2) If I don't pass next year I will have one last try as I don't believe it is something I can sustain forever really.
3) I want to work for a think tank and so I need good A Level results to go to university and so I really need to pass.
4) I spend up to five hours a day, maybe more if I don't go to work.
5) Yeah and usually people don't care or they admire me really aha.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well yeah, it's on the A Level tier. You're not gonna be allowed to two unis either. You can only do one at a time!

The solution, then, is to not do the A Levels and do the Access course instead. You've wasted plenty of time, why not try it next year?

I get as kids we're told we can do anything (especially if we just believe and work hard!) but that's not the real life. You can keep banging your head against a brick wall being the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over expecting different results) or you can be productive.

And before you say it, no, it's not 'quitting'. It's finding a more efficient route, like any good mechanical engineer or scientist.
WinterKuma
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What unis are you considering / do you have a "dream" uni?
Tmoney12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Save your money and time don’t bother with uni it’s a scam, I’m in my first year and the teachings are trash they just teach you to be a robot and a 9-5 rat save your money and start an online business
username5010754
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
1) I prefer the harder subjects as I find them more enjoyable, I'm not a fan of subjects like English etc as I don't find them stimulating.
2) If I don't pass next year I will have one last try as I don't believe it is something I can sustain forever really.
3) I want to work for a think tank and so I need good A Level results to go to university and so I really need to pass.
4) I spend up to five hours a day, maybe more if I don't go to work.
5) Yeah and usually people don't care or they admire me really aha.
Really you don’t think Eng Lit is hard?! What kind of board were u offered lol, I just did my A levels this summer past and it was easily the hardest of my subjects (history and Classical Civilisation were the other two)
What unis are u looking at both best case scenario and realistically?
theoldalever
Rep:
?
(Original post by WinterKuma)
What grades are you aiming for?
Ideally ABB - BBB. I'm not trying to aim for A*s really as I don't think its realistic.
(Original post by LemonMan)
What GCSEs did you manage to get?
Funny enough I got 5A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs so I guess I'm not sure what happened?

You're right, thanks What do you study?
h3110
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
use examsolutions website and past papers for maths
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what are your plans for September assuming you pass, and what if you fail again?

Seems insane to me that someone in my year is still doing A-levels tbh (i also did my A-levels in 2014). Whilst I admire the determination, at some point i think it makes sense to do something else. A job, an apprenticeship, access route...
Last edited by mnot; 2 months ago
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ideally ABB - BBB. I'm not trying to aim for A*s really as I don't think its realistic.

Funny enough I got 5A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs so I guess I'm not sure what happened?

You're right, thanks What do you study?
I study Biochemistry; I hope you get the grades you want at some point but you need to change something that you do to get there. Do you do past papers?
username5010754
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tmoney12)
Save your money and time don’t bother with uni it’s a scam, I’m in my first year and the teachings are trash they just teach you to be a robot and a 9-5 rat save your money and start an online business
What uni r u at? Just asking so I stay away from there now yikes I don’t like the sound of that
Last edited by username5010754; 2 months ago
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, great persistence and nice subject choices! What is your preferred learning style (visual/audio/ kinaesthatic)? Which of your subjects do you find easiest and most difficult?
theoldalever
Rep:
?
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Well yeah, it's on the A Level tier. You're not gonna be allowed to two unis either. You can only do one at a time!

The solution, then, is to not do the A Levels and do the Access course instead. You've wasted plenty of time, why not try it next year?

I get as kids we're told we can do anything (especially if we just believe and work hard!) but that's not the real life. You can keep banging your head against a brick wall being the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over expecting different results) or you can be productive.

And before you say it, no, it's not 'quitting'. It's finding a more efficient route, like any good mechanical engineer or scientist.
If I do that, I've been told to wait a few years as I'm still a bit too young too apparently as most of the students in the courses tend to be older as I've been told.
(Original post by Kryptonitekid43)
Really you don’t think Eng Lit is hard?! What kind of board were u offered lol, I just did my A levels this summer past and it was easily the hardest of my subjects (history and Classical Civilisation were the other two)
What unis are u looking at both best case scenario and realistically?
Oh it's hard, but I find that I prefer logical subjects where I can solve problems although I'm aware I've spent far too long doing these kinds of subjects that they might not be my strength. I'm not sure which universities I want to study at but I want to study PPE.
(Original post by Tmoney12)
What do you study?
(Original post by WinterKuma)
What unis are you considering / do you have a "dream" uni?
I used to - UCL but I gave up and know that I can't afford to be picky anymore. My top aim now would be Nottingham perhaps or Sussex for PPE.
theoldalever
Rep:
?
Nice degree, what do you hope to do after it? Are you in first year, second or third? I have changed my revision methods dramatically in the last year as I am very focused on my end goal so I will revise smarter not harder.
(Original post by Matrix123)
Hi, great persistence and nice subject choices! What is your preferred learning style (visual/audio/ kinaesthatic)? Which of your subjects do you find easiest and most difficult?
Thanks! I prefer audio as I absorb information through my ears quite easily and I find Maths the easiest and History the hardest as I'm not the best at essay writing which suggests to me like I shouldn't study it.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nice degree, what do you hope to do after it? Are you in first year, second or third? I have changed my revision methods dramatically in the last year as I am very focused on my end goal so I will revise smarter not harder.

Thanks! I prefer audio as I absorb information through my ears quite easily and I find Maths the easiest and History the hardest as I'm not the best at essay writing which suggests to me like I shouldn't study it.
In first year and hoping to do graduate entry medicine after

With revision less is more, so to speak. When I was in A2 I was consistently getting A*’s on just an hour of revision a day plus homework. That being said if you’re taking the new style nightmare A-levels perhaps a switch to the IAL Edexcel A-levels would benefit you? They much like the old A-levels in that it’s modular and you can just focus on each exam as it comes rather than having to cram massively for a few at the end of the two years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (231)
67.15%
No (113)
32.85%

Watched Threads