Is 52% bad for first assignment? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just got 52% for my first assignment, it was a case study. I agree with some of the feedback, some of it I find a bit far-fetched. English is not my first language and I've mostly learned it on my own. I am afraid I will be stuck at this level now...
iftgvhb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just got 52% for my first assignment, it was a case study. I agree with some of the feedback, some of it I find a bit far-fetched. English is not my first language and I've mostly learned it on my own. I am afraid I will be stuck at this level now...
Yes, but it's how you rise from the ashes that counts.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Must not make Brexit joke, must resist the urge....

While it’s nit perfect, it’s not terrible. Find out where you could improve and work on those areas.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got 58 in my first one at uni. Im now getting 66 - 68s, with 70+ in exams which are my strong point. I think its always harder when you start uni because its new and different, just keep working hard and really take in the feedback so you can improve. Also look into the uni resources for students where english isnt their first language, and just general academic advice. There should be some services there where you can go over the coursework or future assignments and they can advice you!
Wirt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A pass grade is a good grade

Don’t take it to heart as it’s your first assignment. The most important thing is to really take on the feedback and walk the walk. You will get there. Remember, nobody’s going to want to assess you on something you already know how to do. It’s a process and one day you’ll look back feeling much improved.

Relentlessly apply feedback and always take advantage of 1-to-1s with your tutors.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)

While it’s nit perfect, it’s not terrible. Find out where you could improve and work on those areas.
Well it's not all bad, I'm sure they'll get a second referend- I mean assignment, with an improved result.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)

what
(Original post by The Mogg)
Well it's not all bad, I'm sure they'll get a second referend- I mean assignment, with an improved result.
Ah. The Mogg clears it up.

And...are you in favour of a second...i can't bear to say it....
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
what

Ah. The Mogg clears it up.

And...are you in favour of a second...i can't bear to say it....
Me? In favour of a second referendum? Good One :lol: :lol:
However, I assume the Brexit joke Andrew was thinking was about the 52% (because the 52-48 result of the first and hopefully only referendum) Could be wrong however.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won’t be stuck at that level if you listen to all of the feedback. Relax. I think 52% is very good for someone whose first language isn’t English.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Me? In favour of a second referendum? Good One :lol: :lol:
However, I assume the Brexit joke Andrew was thinking was about the 52% (because the 52-48 result of the first and hopefully only referendum) Could be wrong however.
Yea makes sense lol I wasn't asking you YOU I was asking Mogg lol are you answering as you, or as Mr. Jacob Rees lol.
(Original post by YaliaV)
You won’t be stuck at that level if you listen to all of the feedback. Relax. I think 52% is very good for someone whose first language isn’t English.
Nah. They should be held at the same standard. Even I got better than 52% and I had a drug problem and got into uni thru clearing.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Yea makes sense lol I wasn't asking you YOU I was asking Mogg lol are you answering as you, or as Mr. Jacob Rees lol.
There is no difference between the two.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is no difference between the two.
Stupid me! 🙄❤
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about your feedback do you find far-fetched?

Try not to get defensive or cynical about the feedback you get, as that will make you less likely to apply it to your next assignment, and therefore you won't improve.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got 64% in my first assignment, which was a big shock after getting scores in the 80s and 90s at school. It gave me the motivation to study harder though!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
I got 64% in my first assignment, which was a big shock after getting scores in the 80s and 90s at school. It gave me the motivation to study harder though!
64 for a first assignment is super I think it's difficult to adjust from regularly getting 90+ for schoolwork and appreciating that 90+ at undergrad level is quite rare. It's difficult not to make comparisons.
CharlotteSalf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like people have been saying, don’t worry! It’s your first assignment and so you won’t be entirely clear yet on how to get those top grades. Use any services available to you in your university and make good use of the staff in your department. I got 2:2’s and scraped a 2:1 in my first year, yet I graduated with the highest mark in my department at university (82). So really truly don’t worry, just take your feedback on board, try hard and use the services available to you.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The most important thing about it is that you learn from the feedback, because it's that feedback that will push your grades up, regardless of how far fetched you think it is.

Personally I prefer when tutors are more critical and harsher on my work because then I can pick at the things that I could do to change the assignment if I were to do it again, and how I'd do it. I went from getting 65-67 in my first assignments and now I'm working consistently at firsts, because I planned my essays around that feedback. So yeah, if tutors are harsh then don't be disheartened, see it as a learning opportunity.
Charlie101998
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It really depends. In university 40% is a passing score for a degree. But at GCSE's and A-levels a C is 60%. Either way, you should use this to reflect on your work, the effort you put in and improve yourself.
Neurocandid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It depends what it means to you. Looking from what you’ve stated it seems you’ve have done well... with that being said you have even potential to push further. Good luck
Anonymous #2
Report 6 days ago
One of my lecturers said that first year students usually go down a level when they do their first assignments. For example, if you got a B in A Level then usually you would get a C in your first assignment at university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (93)
12.76%
1 (91)
12.48%
2 (92)
12.62%
19.34%
22.77%
20.03%

Watched Threads