Is pressing the “forgotten password” button illegal? Watch

chloeemmarose
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, my friend has recently had an attempt to try and change her email password on her email account as the notification went through to her phone multiple times.
The account wasn’t actually hacked and she secured it in time.
She has received the IP address in the email from from email provider about the attempted change.
Can she do anything with the IP address?
Thanks
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chloeemmarose)
Hi, my friend has recently had an attempt to try and change her email password on her email account as the notification went through to her phone multiple times.
The account wasn’t actually hacked and she secured it in time.
She has received the IP address in the email from from email provider about the attempted change.
Can she do anything with the IP address?
Thanks
No, the IP address may be the address of a server used for VPN's. There isn't anything you can do regarding chasing the individual.

What you can do is, on a secure PC, change the password for your email address. Use a password manager such as Bitwarden and create random generated passwords for all your accounts, including the email address. Make sure two factor authentication, via an app and NOT via text, e.g. andOTP, is set up for your email address and all other accounts where it is available, including the password manager app. Now you only need to remember the password for your password manager. Make it memorable, unique, and something you've never used anywhere before.

These things are really important. There are data leaks and dumps occurring on a regular basis, so your username and passwords may already be available to other individuals. This is why it is imperative to not use the same password for anything and also have two factor authentication set up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (352)
46.44%
No (81)
10.69%
I'm not old enough (325)
42.88%

Watched Threads