Travel time from halls to marine station. Watch

oceanjen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
After visiting the Bangor open day, I'm left feeling that the distance from halls to the marine station is surprisingly long (it took 20 mins in a coach!). I asked lots of people how long it takes normally and got answers of 15 mins to 1 hour! Am I missing something? Surely Ocean science students wouldn't travel that far everyday? Can any Ocean Science undergraduates offer me any hope, as I really like the Uni and course?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by oceanjen)
After visiting the Bangor open day, I'm left feeling that the distance from halls to the marine station is surprisingly long (it took 20 mins in a coach!). I asked lots of people how long it takes normally and got answers of 15 mins to 1 hour! Am I missing something? Surely Ocean science students wouldn't travel that far everyday? Can any Ocean Science undergraduates offer me any hope, as I really like the Uni and course?
From my experience (I didn't study Ocean Sciences, but I met a few students who did), the majority either bring their own car to Bangor (and live in halls with parking), or rent a room in a student house on Anglesey.
robertson_cm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
HI, I'm a current lecturer at the school of Ocean Sciences. The coaches on open days take the long way round. It take about 30 minutes to walk here from Bangor. The University supplies coaches (return) for undergrads when they are required to come to the department. e.g. for practical laboratory sessions or field work. Hope that helps,
Punkroesz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by robertson_cm)
HI, I'm a current lecturer at the school of Ocean Sciences. The coaches on open days take the long way round. It take about 30 minutes to walk here from Bangor. The University supplies coaches (return) for undergrads when they are required to come to the department. e.g. for practical laboratory sessions or field work. Hope that helps,
To expand on this, I currently live in St Mary's. It's a ten minute walk from there to the coach pick-up point at Pontio (I'd image walking from Ffridd to Pontio might take slightly longer depending on the flat location). Depending on the route the drivers take it can be anywhere from a 15 - 25 minute journey to Menai. I've only walked from Menai to Bangor once. It took 40 minutes to reach Ffridd at my pace.
Bangor Uni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by oceanjen)
Hi,

Great to hear you visited us on an Open Day. The reason it took 20 minutes on a coach was because it would have had to take the one way system. If you live in Ffriddoedd village you can actually walk it in around 25 minutes (depending on your pace). There is a shuttle bus available, and I'm sure you will hear about this once you arrive in September.

It's easy enough to cycle over there too in about 10 minutes, and you'll find that many people do lift shares, which take no longer than 10/15 minutes..

If I can help with anything else, please feel free to contact me, but I can assure you it definitely won't take you an hour.

Thanks

Sera
oceanjen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you to everyone for their help and advice. At least can put Bangor back on my short-list!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (165)
48.1%
No (42)
12.24%
I'm not old enough (136)
39.65%

Watched Threads