Getting sick too often (unnatural) & feel like I am in trouble with my uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I've been getting sick literally 4 times in the span of 2 months. It feels as if it happens every 2-3 weeks. I am in university right now and since they were just colds/flus that can pass in a week or so I never bothered to see the doctor about them because in all honesty they weren't that serious. But I've been getting them too often, I think unnaturally often and I think it's a problem with my health and university. It's been affecting my attendance BADLY, I've missed 20 sessions this uni term which means I'm at risk of failing my module (or probably have), although some sessions were missed out because I was a little bit late and they make them as absent instead of lates.
Should I go see the doctor about this (my cold this time has finished 2 days ago tho) and who can I talk to in my university? I just feel like none of my tutors believe me and that I have been missing out too much. How can I explain this? Please help me..
Dalpx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you boy or girl?
Do you sport often?
Do you have balanced diet?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I've been getting sick literally 4 times in the span of 2 months. It feels as if it happens every 2-3 weeks. I am in university right now and since they were just colds/flus that can pass in a week or so I never bothered to see the doctor about them because in all honesty they weren't that serious. But I've been getting them too often, I think unnaturally often and I think it's a problem with my health and university. It's been affecting my attendance BADLY, I've missed 20 sessions this uni term which means I'm at risk of failing my module (or probably have), although some sessions were missed out because I was a little bit late and they make them as absent instead of lates.
Should I go see the doctor about this (my cold this time has finished 2 days ago tho) and who can I talk to in my university? I just feel like none of my tutors believe me and that I have been missing out too much. How can I explain this? Please help me..
Hi there,

If your attendance is being affected by your sickness you need to talk to your personal tutor; if they don't know you've been ill they can't help you. If you are having recurrent illnesses, you should really talk to your GP to resolve the matter and also show your university you have been ill. Lastly, do you have a Student Support department at your university? You should go and talk to them about your situation for further advice and guidance.

Fi :horse:
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Have you been living a healthy lifestyle? Taken extra supplements/vitamins? Stayed clean and hygienic (i.e. washing your hands before you eat etc.)? It might sound like common sense, but these things can easily slip in a new environment.

Definitely speak to your GP, and your personal tutor.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it's likely just lifestyle factors but there's no reason you can't ask for a blood test just in case
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you everyone. I will try and speak to a GP and I'll contact student services about this. I really wanted an answer from my tutors so I emailed them too to talk to them although now I think I'm not ready until I talk to student services ahaha too scared
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To be cynical about it, I would assume a student missing 20+ sessions with 'colds and flu' was taking the mick if no other info was given. Not normal and very much something to go to the Doctors about, I'd chat to SServices first as well to make it clear what your situation is before starting to try and rebuild bridges with lecturers.
06rg11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Glad to know I'm not the only one who is constantly ill at uni. I never miss lectures, tutorials etc because of it though and just put up with it, as it's never more than mild illness. I managed to not be ill for the entirety of freshers week and then since freshers week ended I have barely gone a few day stretch without a cold. I have put it down to the student lifestyle constantly making me ill. I'm coughing even now as I'm writing this.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 06rg11)
Glad to know I'm not the only one who is constantly ill at uni. I never miss lectures, tutorials etc because of it though and just put up with it, as it's never more than mild illness. I managed to not be ill for the entirety of freshers week and then since freshers week ended I have barely gone a few day stretch without a cold. I have put it down to the student lifestyle constantly making me ill. I'm coughing even now as I'm writing this.
I usually just miss about 2 days obviously the first few days where it's bad but since I have multiple sessions in a day it adds up I guess. Plus the lates marked as absent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (270)
48.04%
No (65)
11.57%
I'm not old enough (227)
40.39%

Watched Threads