The Student Room Group

i don’t want to wear my twin block braces!

so, i have these twin block braces and i got them when i was 14. i’m 15 now and i still haven’t worn them for a day. they caused my mouth to be sore and we got them readjusted which stopped that from happening. now i feel as though there’s a lot of pressure on me, because i’m supposed to be wearing them 24/7, but i don’t want to be wearing them at school because people will take the mick (even my own friends). i’ve worn them to school once and all my friends drew attention to me and shouted it out and thought it was hilarious. as a 14/15 year old, i have enough insecurities so i just stopped wearing them completely. i try to wear them at home, but they honestly just make me gag. i know all people are going to say is “you’ll get used to them the more you wear them” or “you’ll regret not wearing them, but ive tried really hard and i’m not sure if it will work with me.
Well ultimately the decision is yours.
But just consider what you have been through to get to the stage of having them.
They do without doubt much improve the teeth as I can vouch for when I wore them.
You need to think of the long term picture.
Dont worry if they take the Mickey, they will soon get fed up with it and move on.
Good luck I hope you make the right decision which is best for you.
Reply 2
i have the same type and i dont want to wear them but im scared of what will happen if i dont, i have been told that after my block braces have done their work their gonna take some teeth out and straighten them but im fine with how my teeth are now and if i did wear the braces now they would change the shape of my face wich would make me feel rly ugly cause it took my a log time to like the way i look so idk and im probs gonna get told i need them but im fine now and my back teeth wouldnt fit together again none of my teeth would so it would be annoing to eat aswell i have been given my brace to wear for 6 weeks and i have to go to the orthodontist tomorrow and i haven worn them for 5 weeks what do i do
Twin blocks are hard hard work. The orthodontist must have a plan and must also anticipate a significant improvement in the positioning of your teeth to require the twin blocks. One of my kids had twin blocks for 8 months (including meals and overnight) and they totally transformed for the better. Ask the orthodontist as many questions as you like tmrrw.
I got mine three days ago and i hate them , my ortho told me i would only feel mild discomfort but he's a liar . The wires stick out and cut the inside of my cheeks so im having to cover them with blu tack , my teeth are so sore that even when i take them out to eat i want to cry , my jaw aches and the whole thing is just awful . Im constantly trying to move them and adjust them nut to no avail , i honestly dont think i need them they could have just given me a plate brace and sent me on my way . Im taking paracetamol and co-codimol but my mouth still hurts . I swear if i dont come out hot after all this then im ending it
I’ve been given my twin block braces for over a year now but i just can’t wear it . I don’t want to wear an ugly chunky pink block especially not to school out of the whole year I’ve probably worn them for a week I get that the orthodontist do what’s best for me but it’s really annoying to see people from school who have a bigger overbite than me get braces (from the same orthodontist I go)whilst im stuck with the pink crap , I just came back from the orthodontist and they called the dentist on me and he shouted saying this is my last chance I really want braces but I don’t want to commit to wearing this so now I have to wear this ugly block for a month and see if there’s more changes . I don’t get the use of it either i don’t want my bottom teeth to stick out , i want my top teeth to be in my mouth why should both be pushed forward . Whatever though I just want braces I’m probably gonna be an old hag by the time I get braces in my mouth .
ik this thread is years old but I just want other people to see that theyre not alone. your orthodontist will tell you that you'll get used to how you look! u won't. i don't want anyone to get super scared but I just want them to know it's not all that fun. I wore mine for 8 months (I had a 10mm overbite + overjet) and it was the worst experience ever 😭. i did learn how to talk normally so it shouldn't be an issue but u will have the slightest lisp. they will smell no matter how hard u scrub so get some like cleaning products off amazon, it really helped me. PLEASE put them in a case if you're not wearing them, i once put mine in a tissue bc I forgot my case and I threw them away by accident 😭😭. it will hurt at the start to eat as ur jaw is trying to get used to a massive change but you'll be fine after a few days. after a few months, you'll get a key to turn this thing in your braces to expand them and I'm pretty sure that's the cause of my tooth gap (I don't think this is for everyone??) for me I got a pretty big tooth gap after using them but I have braces right now and with powerchains on the front teeth it's almost gone. I was very insecure of my side profile, as it basically made me look like my bottom teeth were more forward than my top and as if my mouth was opened, so what helped me is literally just like covering my jawline with my arm or hand in class so the peridn next to me didn't see. if anyone makes fun of you, just know that it's all worth it and it may seem bad at the time, but the day I came in without them I felt like a new person lmaoo. so imo, it WILL be bad. you won't like it. but looking back at old photos im happy that my smile looks better now!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
so, i have these twin block braces and i got them when i was 14. i’m 15 now and i still haven’t worn them for a day. they caused my mouth to be sore and we got them readjusted which stopped that from happening. now i feel as though there’s a lot of pressure on me, because i’m supposed to be wearing them 24/7, but i don’t want to be wearing them at school because people will take the mick (even my own friends). i’ve worn them to school once and all my friends drew attention to me and shouted it out and thought it was hilarious. as a 14/15 year old, i have enough insecurities so i just stopped wearing them completely. i try to wear them at home, but they honestly just make me gag. i know all people are going to say is “you’ll get used to them the more you wear them” or “you’ll regret not wearing them, but ive tried really hard and i’m not sure if it will work with me.

Same person here! I’m now 18 and I never actually ever wore them, informed my orthodontist that it was painful/ not really working out for me, we tried filing them down so they would fit better but ultimately I had tried them for too long with no luck. I got normal train track braces for a year and a half and I got them off last year and my smile is perfectly fine without having to use the block brace. So tbh the blocks were a bit of a waste of time but all is good now
My 14 yo daughter wore twin blocks 24h except for meals for about 8/9 months and it massively reduced her almost 2cm overbite. It was hard for her at first but she learned to talk with them and got just used to them by sticking with them knowing it would be worth it in the end. The more you wear them the quicker they work. She was originally expecting to wear them for at least a year but as she was so diligent she needed less time in the end.
It moved her bottom jaw into a much better position, she has a better profile now and her overbite is negligible. She is now 7 months into fixed braces which are just straightening the wonky bits and sorting the last of the gaps and overbite. Despite how hard it was she is glad she did it as her teeth look so much better. It was lucky that several of her friends have also had this treatment so she knew what to expect.
I regret not doing mine as a teenager but it was not as common to have braces then as it is now. It is extremely expensive to do as an adult!
Reply 9
Original post by username6145236
My 14 yo daughter wore twin blocks 24h except for meals for about 8/9 months and it massively reduced her almost 2cm overbite. It was hard for her at first but she learned to talk with them and got just used to them by sticking with them knowing it would be worth it in the end. The more you wear them the quicker they work. She was originally expecting to wear them for at least a year but as she was so diligent she needed less time in the end.
It moved her bottom jaw into a much better position, she has a better profile now and her overbite is negligible. She is now 7 months into fixed braces which are just straightening the wonky bits and sorting the last of the gaps and overbite. Despite how hard it was she is glad she did it as her teeth look so much better. It was lucky that several of her friends have also had this treatment so she knew what to expect.
I regret not doing mine as a teenager but it was not as common to have braces then as it is now. It is extremely expensive to do as an adult!

Thanks, that's super helpful for me. My son is nearly 14 and is about to start the process of sorting out his overbite with twin blocks (later to be followed by braces). It's great to hear that they have worked so well for your daughter and that her diligence and commitment has paid off. It's all a bit overwhelming with the cost and stories of how difficult it is for them to adjust to having them. Thank you so much.
Original post by Ltaylor 8444
I got mine three days ago and i hate them , my ortho told me i would only feel mild discomfort but he's a liar . The wires stick out and cut the inside of my cheeks so im having to cover them with blu tack , my teeth are so sore that even when i take them out to eat i want to cry , my jaw aches and the whole thing is just awful . Im constantly trying to move them and adjust them nut to no avail , i honestly dont think i need them they could have just given me a plate brace and sent me on my way . Im taking paracetamol and co-codimol but my mouth still hurts . I swear if i dont come out hot after all this then im ending it

Any update? I got mine yesterday but it causes me severe jaw pain and produces so much saliva which i can't swallow since it gets trapped at the top of the thing. How is your treatment now?
Original post by Anonymous
Any update? I got mine yesterday but it causes me severe jaw pain and produces so much saliva which i can't swallow since it gets trapped at the top of the thing. How is your treatment now?

I still have to wear mine for another month but I never got used to speech and had trouble pronouncing most words. I want to stop wearing them to school as people have noticed and have started talking about them. I noticed that they have actually worked nearly as it has closed most of the gap but it can be embarrassing at times as your jaw can look massive.

Quick Reply

Latest