izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Calcium oxide, CaO, is used for making cement which is widely used in the construction industry. Calcium oxide can prepared as ‘quicklime’ by heating limestone in a lime kiln to about 550oC. The calcium carbonate in the limestone decomposes into calcium oxide and carbon dioxide:
CaCO3 → CaO + CO2
Calculate the mass of CaO that could be made from limestone containing 20 tonnes of CaCO3.

I got 11200000g. Please can someone check that is right, as I think I have done something wrong.
cath_slater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t have a calculator on me atm so I can’t physically work out the answer but this is the way I would do it:

Work out the moles of CaCO3 (moles = mass/Mr) and then as it’s 1:1 the moles of CaCO3 will equal the moles of CaO and then you can work out the mass of CaO by using mass =moles x Mr. Also check what units the question asks you to provide the answer if 20 tonnes = 20,000 Kg (if u didn’t already know)
kitkathilein
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got 11,205,742 g but that is probably due to me using molar masses with 4 decimals. As long as you calculated your result the way cath_slater already described, your answer should be correct.
izaakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by kitkathilein)
I got 11,205,742 g but that is probably due to me using molar masses with 4 decimals. As long as you calculated your result the way cath_slater already described, your answer should be correct.
Yes that is what I got I just put it to 3s.f for ease. Thank you.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by izaakha)
Calcium oxide, CaO, is used for making cement which is widely used in the construction industry. Calcium oxide can prepared as ‘quicklime’ by heating limestone in a lime kiln to about 550oC. The calcium carbonate in the limestone decomposes into calcium oxide and carbon dioxide:
CaCO3 → CaO + CO2
Calculate the mass of CaO that could be made from limestone containing 20 tonnes of CaCO3.

I got 11200000g. Please can someone check that is right, as I think I have done something wrong.
The thermal decomposition of CaCO3 only really gets going at about 840 oC.

Tell your teacher s/he made a boo boo.
izaakha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
The thermal decomposition of CaCO3 only really gets going at about 840 oC.

Tell your teacher s/he made a boo boo.
It will still occur though; just not as fast. My teacher has a PhD in chemistry - I think she knows what she is talking about.
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It will still occur though; just not as fast. My teacher has a PhD in chemistry - I think she knows what she is talking about.
ooh fancy schmancy
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually at temperatures much below my stated temperature, delta G becomes positive, so decomposition will no longer be feasible, i.e. the reaction is impossible. It isn't a rates issue, but one of the interplay between enthalpy and entropy changes.

If you drop the air pressure, then the minimum temperature that the reaction happens at will drop, but I don't think even a vacuum would drop it as far as 550 oC (I can't be bothered to do the calc).

Tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it.

PhD smeehachdee.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads