https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/a...ers-worse-off/
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
That study only looks at sibgle-mother-by-choice rather than single parents as a whole group. It should be pretty obvious that those who choose that lifestyle will be better at it and better prepared for it than those who are forced into it.

I'm not that interested in having a debate that just ends up with each other throwing out studies and critiquing each others. Especially as it doesn't seem like your very capable of this kind of research and compilation.

Once you start trying to back up a complex social issue like this, a single study is irrelevant because the issues bdcome so multifaceted and dimensional. Any single study can be shown not to show the real picture, and the only way we can get to the bottom of it is to compile many and use them to create and form our possition. That means a referenced essay, which I'm not going to be doing on tsr.. I did enough of those in my masters about similar societal issues.

If we can accept that in general children of single parents perform worse on average, but by how much and in what parameter isn't clear from the mass of research, than we actually discuss something interesting. Like Boris and the fact that he has a habit of saying quite liberal things, in offensive ways. For example, his offensive musllim woman comment, was in an article in support of their choice to wear what he wants.. and his offensive words about the working class have come in articles where argues in favour of working class issues.

What is worse, a person who says something wrong, but uses polite words, or a person who says something right, but uses offensive words? Obviously there is a better example of both being right and inoffensive, but we aren't all perfect so one thing is going to go wrong from time to time.
I have provided studies to back up all my points all throughout this thread; so I’m not sure why the comment about my research skills was nessessary? It is true that generally there’s a slight difference but it is only a difference of 5% as such I have provided a study to back this up earlier on this thread; the difference doesn’t really warrant this amount of societal vitriol for single mothers. Many of them do a great job
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Do you have the studies that are referenced in the articles you provided? Also I note that in the BBC article the quoted difference was 5%, between 22 and 27%. Virtually negligible
Last edited by AngryRedhead; 2 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
I have provided studies to back up all my points all throughout this thread; so I’m not sure why the comment about my research skills was nessessary? It is true that generally there’s a slight difference but it is only a difference of 5% as such I have provided a study to back this up earlier on this thread; the difference doesn’t really warrant this amount of societal vitriol for single mothers. Many of them do a great job
You haven't though. Go on a journal database and search for research into single mothers and you will find hundreds if not thousands of prices of research, covering all different angles and aspects and from all different periods of time and nations. For societal issues you can't back up claims by throwing out one study.

Its why, outside of an academic context it's just not worth getting into studies, for every one your side can produce, your opponent will produce another. And each of you will just sit picking apart why Thiers isn't as representative as yours. Its really not a good way to have this discussion.

I commented on your research ability, because you used a study focusing on single mothers by choice,as a refutation for single mothers as a whole, which is a basic mistake to make.

Your right thougj that many single mothers do great job. The hate should never be at them. Many may do an even better and harder job than two parents but because it's not an optimal arrangement, the results of their hardeork on average aren't the same.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you have the studies that are referenced in the articles you provided? Also I note that in the BBC article the quoted difference was 5%, between 22 and 27%. Virtually negligible
No I don't but I'm sure you can find them, that was the result if a couple of a few seconds google search, o knew it would be very easy to do because the weight if research is in favour of two parent families.

Its important you recognise the difference between societal vitriol and genuine concern. We have issues, growing issues in the modern world and we must tackle them, before we tackle them we need to fully understand them, to fully understand them we need the freedom to reservh and state opinion without prejudices which close down opionion you dont like.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
You haven't though. Go on a journal database and search for research into single mothers and you will find hundreds if not thousands of prices of research, covering all different angles and aspects and from all different periods of time and nations. For societal issues you can't back up claims by throwing out one study.

Its why, outside of an academic context it's just not worth getting into studies, for every one your side can produce, your opponent will produce another. And each of you will just sit picking apart why Thiers isn't as representative as yours. Its really not a good way to have this discussion.

I commented on your research ability, because you used a study focusing on single mothers by choice,as a refutation for single mothers as a whole, which is a basic mistake to make.

Your right thougj that many single mothers do great job. The hate should never be at them. Many may do an even better and harder job than two parents but because it's not an optimal arrangement, the results of their hardeork on average aren't the same.
There are perfectly good studies out there not in journals; most of which I’ve provided on here are from universities or other reputable sources (with the exception of a few)

If you’re going to make a sweeping
generalisation like Johnson and claim that every child of a single parent is ignorant and aggressive and that single parents are the bane of society then people need to know that research does not back that up, hence the posting of the single mothers by choice study of outcomes; I will grant you though that it is a complex issue that goes beyond just parental status, money, education and other factors all play a part but the difference between children of single parents and children of two parents does not warrant the amount of demonisation they receive in society.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
No I don't but I'm sure you can find them, that was the result if a couple of a few seconds google search, o knew it would be very easy to do because the weight if research is in favour of two parent families.

Its important you recognise the difference between societal vitriol and genuine concern. We have issues, growing issues in the modern world and we must tackle them, before we tackle them we need to fully understand them, to fully understand them we need the freedom to reservh and state opinion without prejudices which close down opionion you dont like.
You are permitted to say whatever you like, so I’m not sure what you were on about in the comment where you tagged me. But vast sweeping generalisations such as “all single mothers are whores” and “all children of single mothers are ignorant and aggressive” which tends to be the underlying subliminal societal attitude torwards single mothers are both hurtful and untrue

As the Cornell Study you have provided above only seems to have a sample size of about 2000 it’s hard to say either way whether the results of its conclusions are reliable or not
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
meh, although I agreed with a few things he said, he still seems like the typical pervert who go and touch women innappropriately. no better than Corbyn.

hehe what a funny article.
pickup
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Relative to what? The behaviour of children in the past? I would argue today’s youth are better behaved; numerous measures have shown today’s youth are having less sex and doing less illegal drugs

A 5% difference between children of single mothers and children of two parents hardly warrants the amount of vitriol single mothers receive either; when they did a good enough job during the war years
It's no doubt more a reflection of increased poverty if you only have one parent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (343)
46.04%
No (80)
10.74%
I'm not old enough (322)
43.22%

Watched Threads