The Student Room Group

2:2 in a module, what do i need to get a first overall

Hi, i got a 2:2 (58) in one of my modules for Philosophy, second year. I have 8 modules overall, what would i need (minimum) in the rest of these module to get a 72 overall? This module was really hard (for me lol) and i was lacking with the presentation because i did them both (50% each) the night it was due.... iI generally get 68s, and 72s and sometimes an odd 75 or 78... but i feel second year is much harder and i'll have to work harder for a first overall. i was also wondering what i would need in third year to get a first overall if i got a high 2:1 second year? thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by UneBellePatience
Hi, i got a 2:2 (58) in one of my modules for Philosophy, second year. I have 8 modules overall, what would i need (minimum) in the rest of these module to get a 72 overall? This module was really hard (for me lol) and i was lacking with the presentation because i did them both (50% each) the night it was due.... iI generally get 68s, and 72s and sometimes an odd 75 or 78... but i feel second year is much harder and i'll have to work harder for a first overall. i was also wondering what i would need in third year to get a first overall if i got a high 2:1 second year? thank you in advance :smile:

Hi, I'll tell you what I did,

while most of the people I knew were grade counting - I just focused on one thing. I am going to get the highest grade I can possibly get in all my modules.

this means that I need to put in the work for it and not do things last minute. Time is so valuable at university and no matter what - you gotta maximise it so you can produce your best work.

so to answer your question - Don't grade count or calculate what you need for a first, aim to get the highest possible grade in all modules and put in the work. check this audio post out on how to you can go about getting the grade you want First Class

hope this helps.
Original post by bookedworm
Hi, I'll tell you what I did,

while most of the people I knew were grade counting - I just focused on one thing. I am going to get the highest grade I can possibly get in all my modules.

this means that I need to put in the work for it and not do things last minute. Time is so valuable at university and no matter what - you gotta maximise it so you can produce your best work.

so to answer your question - Don't grade count or calculate what you need for a first, aim to get the highest possible grade in all modules and put in the work. check this audio post out on how to you can go about getting the grade you want First Class

hope this helps.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply and advice! :smile:
You are right, i should shift my mindset to focusing on trying my hardest in each essay. It sounds great in theory, but i suck at putting things into practice tbh! Especially with time management: since my GCSE's i have found myself to have an inescapable habit of doing all my work the night before its due, i can never seem to space out my work, because i fear if i did spend so much time on it, but did not end up with a first it would destroy me. (Sounds super pathetic i know haha). Do you have any tips on how i could actualise my time-management? :smile:
Original post by UneBellePatience
Hi, thank you so much for your reply and advice! :smile:
You are right, i should shift my mindset to focusing on trying my hardest in each essay. It sounds great in theory, but i suck at putting things into practice tbh! Especially with time management: since my GCSE's i have found myself to have an inescapable habit of doing all my work the night before its due, i can never seem to space out my work, because i fear if i did spend so much time on it, but did not end up with a first it would destroy me. (Sounds super pathetic i know haha). Do you have any tips on how i could actualise my time-management? :smile:

completely understand where you are coming from.
what helped me with time management was to plan and break things down - like this:

Break it down
- focus on the current year you are in, year 2 for example
- now list out your modules in that year (say you have 5 modules)
- now pick one module and write next to it (easy to understand for me, hard to understand for me) - do this for all the modules

the reason for this is to get an idea of the modules you need to spend more time on.
-----
Now go on the calendar app on your phone - block out the time where you are not free i.e. you are sleeping, in lectures, gym - whatever.

now schedule study time (at least 30 mins for each module) around your free time. Try your best to make it work around your life - for me I woke up earlier to study as I did not like being up late, it can be the reverse for you. If something is not more important than studying then consider replacing it with the study time.

once you have your calendar - the hard part is to show up. so when your next study period hits, do everything in your power to make sure you study. Even if it's a crap study session, just make sure you go through it and over time it becomes a habit - having study targets also helps, for example, I am going to learn about this philosopher in my study session next Monday at 6:00 am - stops you from wasting time thinking about what to study.

hopefully, this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending