loazing21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Been using seneca for the most part of my revision however I was wondering if getting snap revise instead for chem+bio would be better. Don't know if it would be worth it or not, seeing a lot of mixed comments on tsr.
Plus recently found out about a website called up learn. It's not available for chem or bio but it is for economics wondering if its actually worth the £250?
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have never used snaprevise before but surely it would be similar to seneca since both sound like they just give you the required content in summary form.

I just make my flashcards for physics using seneca and for more detailed coverage i just use youtube videos and the spec/textbook.

As for this 'uplearn' i have heard mixed review about it.
I signed up for their free trial but they only had OCR for physics at the time but i dont know it could be worth the money for your economics course.

I think you should try the free trial and see if you like it
Y11LPULSFORD
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by currycurry2468)
i have never used snaprevise before but surely it would be similar to seneca since both sound like they just give you the required content in summary form.

I just make my flashcards for physics using seneca and for more detailed coverage i just use youtube videos and the spec/textbook.

As for this 'uplearn' i have heard mixed review about it.
I signed up for their free trial but they only had ocr for physics at the time but i dont know it could be worth the money for your economics course.

I think you should try the free trial and see if you like
i don't have to revise because i get straight 9s!!!!
Triplebbb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Or... you could check out Tailored Tutors!They do chemistry, biology and maths and really know their stuff. They have great reviews too!
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Honestly for a level, I would avoid all these paid online services and all this other crap. They charge extreme prices, and their revision isn’t effective or useful whatsoever. For a level sciences the best way you can revise is doing past and practice questions, from the textbook or a CGP workbook or something like that. Reading the content to yourself isn’t helpful nor productive, you need to be putting it into questions and answering them. Use the money to buy CGP practice guides.
loazing21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by chrisfromuplearn)
Hi Deggs_14! You're completely correct that just "reading content" isn't mega useful. However, textbooks and revision guides aren't the most efficient or effective way to learn (you're sacrificing your time, basically) and past papers/practice questions are only effective once you have a certain level of knowledge (which it looks like you do). I like the graphics in CGP textbooks but I find their explanations are not that thorough - look at how thin the books are, for example.

loazing21 we (Up Learn) had 4000 full users last year, around 30% (I think, so 1200) completed the course and we refunded 20 who completed their courses and didn't get an A*/A (so unofficially this is better than the 97% A*/A we currently use on our website). I won't bore you with the science behind it but will happily answer any questions you have

Think of the costs more as:
Cost of two Netflix subscriptions => Maximise chance of getting top grades => Maximise chance of getting into top uni => Best CV/job possible => Highest earning potential/salary possible over the course of your life, it 100% makes sense and pays for itself many times over.

I can speak from my experience so far:
- I went to a state school
- My mum stressed the importance to me (as a child) of doing whatever it takes to do well at school and not to make the "same mistakes" as her (she got 2 passes and 2 fails at A-Level) 🙏
- I got 10A*s at GCSE, and 4As at A-Level. My average UMS was 98%. I think my school was ranked bottom in Wales that year
- I bombed my interview at Cambridge (my tutor told me within the first 5 mins that he was hugely disappointed). I got an offer nonetheless because my grades were good (I asked him after I got in)
- Going to Cambridge meant that I met loads of really smart and talented people (and lifelong friends) and got a good job. It opened up so much opportunity for me
- My first job out of uni was prestigious, paid me £49k (six years ago), gave me 59 days holiday, a 38 hour working week and helped me travel the world (and support my mum). I heard about the job from a friend from Cambridge who also did it
- If I hadn't gotten those grades, I would likely not have gotten into Cambridge (or my Imperial backup, which I also bombed the interview for). I then wouldn't have known about or had the credentials to get that high paying job or met the smart and interesting people that I'm now lucky enough to call my friends
- FYI - I took a pay cut to join Up Learn because I really care about the mission statement. We're lean and charge as little as we can for courses but we do have to pay our staff so they can eat, etc 😂

Disclaimer: I work at Up Learn. However, these views are my own and not official company views
Edits: Formatting and grammar
Uplearn isnt available for 2/3 of my subjects chem and bio so not much use in getting it since their the ones I care the most about. £250 for just economics would be way too much as I could get a B with just free revision resources.

P. S. Seen you post this exact word salad on a number of other forums, uplearn is obviously a scam and your definitely a bot. £250 is way too much, you'd be better of charging £50 you'd get the same revenue since youll have higher demand, that's if uplearn isn't a scam
chrisfromuplearn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by loazing21)
Uplearn isnt available for 2/3 of my subjects chem and bio so not much use in getting it since their the ones I care the most about. £250 for just economics would be way too much as I could get a B with just free revision resources.

P. S. Seen you post this exact word salad on a number of other forums, uplearn is obviously a scam and your definitely a bot. £250 is way too much, you'd be better of charging £50 you'd get the same revenue since youll have higher demand, that's if uplearn isn't a scam
Hi loazing21

1. Ultimately, it's 100% your choice as to what you want to do
2. Please link me to the other posts - I wrote this this morning when I got into the office
3. I'm not a bot - if you look hard enough, you can probably find me on Google/LinkedIn
4. Please tell me why you think Up Learn is a scam? We're in 70 schools in the UK right now - you can also check with our partner charities. I get that our website isn't great - we put most of our effort into course production
5. We're doing studies on this right now actually, but we also have data to suggest this isn't the case
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%